It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Short Review of 141 R 568
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm 

WRC is pleased to present a 14 minute video featuring William Cook Rail's ex-SNCF 141 R 568. This locomotive was one of hundreds built in the U.S. and shipped to Europe under the Marshall Plan following World War II. In addition to a brief history of the 141 R class, the video discusses some of the technological features of the locomotive and offers a short bit of cab-ride footage on its return trip to Schaffhausen, Switzerland.

One of the topics addressed is the use of babbitt bearings. Although the word "babbitt" is not in my Firefox spell-check dictionary, I am certain that the posting of this video may create some discussion in this thread about babbitt bearings versus roller bearings. Please feel free to comment your opinions.

Find our new video posted here: http://projects.wrrc.us/?p=642

Post subject: Re: Short Review of 141 R 568
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:20 pm 

Very nice! Thanks for the link. Interesting how the whistle is on the fireman side and under his control...

I must say I enjoy the Babbitt bearing much more than a normal roller bearing. The 36" Crown Metal Works locomotives I operate were converted last year during their winter overhauls to Babbitt bearings after one of the trains had a slapping noise coming from the rear driver. Turned out the roller bearing had gone bad, and the rod pin was "dancing" around with each piston stroke.

After the conversion the engines ran noticeably smoother.