It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REDUCED! Old live steam park train - 24" gauge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 am 

I have a 24" gauge, 1800's style, live steam park train for sale with tender, 2 cars and wood wheel molds. $30,000

Well cared for, garaged, coal powered live steam, tender, 2 cars, wood wheel molds, extra wheels & 2 straight track sections. I have found no evidence of a boiler test.
Measurements (approximate):
Engine - 44" Tall, 32 3/4 " Wide & 6'6" Long
Boiler - 20" diameter & 5'6" long
Smoke Chamber - 1 ft. Long
Tender - 32" wide, 4'8' long
Cars - 31" wide

History: built by professional machinist / welder employed by Ashworth Transfer Company of Salt Lake City Utah. The employees name was Wilford Match. Mr. Match had a reputation of building strong durable industrial equipment, he built the semi truck trailers for Ashworth Transfer Company that hauled the Apollo 11 space capsule. This train was likely built in the 1950's and was last operated in Mr. Ashworths yard for neighborhood kids in the 1970's. $40,000. Salt Lake City, Utah. More photos upon request.

- Please spread the word.
Carol 801-810-6467
carolhelf@gmail.com

Last edited by Carol on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: I need to find a good home for an old live steam park tr
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:07 am 

You mention "find a good home" as if it's a puppy and you're looking for somebody to take it. :)

If you're really trying to help these folks, find a reputable dealer and either auction or sell this equipment. I can't tell much from the photos, but I can see enough to know that somebody will pay you for it, and depending on the specifics, the amount they'll pay could be significant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 pm 

Carol,

From the looks of it and based on the basic history you provided, I am guessing that is what was Wilford Matches locomotives. I have seen his work before. The boiler is of the welded construction and the water glass and throttle and brake assembly are much like what Wilford used. I ran one of his locomotives more than 15 years ago....possibly this one.

Wilford and his friends had relations with the Freed's and the Bambergers. The Freed's currently own Lagoon, a large and historic amusement park in Utah. The Bamberger family actually started the park many many years ago.

At any rate, if you had some better pictures we could help get this listed in areas where it may sell. If you would like to reach me off line, please send an email to

info@wrrc.us

Hope this helps....even a little.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 pm 

Carol - people in this list would find it more interesting if there were better images and specifications and history, John can do you a lot of good with that. Apart from the interested individuals you might find here, park operators would be another market to try to serve with this possibility. There's also a subset of us interested primarily in park and industrial small railroads, reachable through a web site called "Critter Connections", and a society specifically for 2 foot gage railroad operators. Good hunting and best wishes.

dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:30 pm 

Thank you for all of the kind advice! I did add some more photos and measurements to the site if anyone is interested in looking at them. I am sure you all know to refresh the page but I just wanna remind you, refresh the page:) I will definitely check out the websites suggested, Thanks.
Carol

Post subject: Re: For Sale - old live steam park train - 24" gauge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:23 pm 

Found 2400 ft. of 24" gauge track on ties for sale for anyone interested in the park train I have for sale. http://www.amusementtrader.com/236/Land-trains/listings/4342/2,400-ft-of-24G-railroad-track-on-ties.html