It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid-Continent Steam Status Update *PIC*
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:10 am 

From Mid-Continent's web page:

Mid-Continent's rails have been without steam motive power since February 2000. Since that time, work has begun on Polson Logging #2 and C&NW #1385 to repair the boilers to bring both back into service. Unfortunately, the scope of repairs have exceeded anyone's expectations. We are still without steam, possibly until the 2004 operating season. With the specter of running trains with diesel power for the next two years, the option of leasing a steam locomotive was investigated, but the cost was prohibitive.

A Steam Fund has been established to help raise money needed to continue the work needed. As of June 15, 2002, over $26,000 in donations have been received. Our sincerest thanks go to the many members and friends who have contributed.

Four locomotives are considered presently in the operating fleet due to their recent operation. Inspections have been continually made by the Mechanical Department to determine the scope of repairs. Presently, efforts will concentrate in the Western Coal & Coke #1, as it appears to be the least expensive and quickest to return to service.

See the link for more information on the status of all 4 engines.

Mid-Continent Steam Status
ddg14@msn.com

Post subject: Some really good reports!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:44 am 

The above three reports are just what RyPN needs. Well done and thanks!

ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Some really good reports! *PIC*
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:57 pm 

> The above three reports are just what RyPN
> needs. Well done and thanks!
Your welcome Bob. I run across anything else good, I'll be sure to post it.
Now if I could just get time to work on my own cars, so that I could share some of my own experiences with everyone...

My Cars
ddg14@msn.com

Post subject: Rock Island plow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:14 pm 

Have you run across an engine number on the Rock Island plow? Some of them used to be visible as an outline under the paint. These were former Vanderbilt tenders on 4-6-2s and 2-8-2s, converted by the CRI&P into the "loaf-of-bread" design for more water capacity. Some were assigned to 2-8-0s in later years as well.

> Your welcome Bob. I run across anything else
> good, I'll be sure to post it.
> Now if I could just get time to work on my
> own cars, so that I could share some of my
> own experiences with everyone...

Limon, 1951
ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Rock Island plow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:44 pm 

I haven't come up with the engine number yet. So far all I've got is that it was Rock Island number 95375 as a snowplow, and that it was built in 1927.
By the way, thank you for the link, hopefully once I figure out the engine number I'll be able to find a photo of the engine on that site.
> Have you run across an engine number on the
> Rock Island plow? Some of them used to be
> visible as an outline under the paint. These
> were former Vanderbilt tenders on 4-6-2s and
> 2-8-2s, converted by the CRI&P into the
> "loaf-of-bread" design for more
> water capacity. Some were assigned to 2-8-0s
> in later years as well.

ddg14@msn.com

Post subject: Re: Rock Island plow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:53 pm 

A similar plow at the museum of Transportation in St. Louis was repainted last year and we found the rear had the number 2572 on it, if I remember correctly. If I find I'm wrong once I get back to work I'll let you know.

Museum of Transportation
rdgoldfede@aol.com

Post subject: 2572
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:07 pm 

2572 was one of the early CRI&P 2-8-2s, retired 1946.

ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: 2572
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:14 am 

> 2572 was one of the early CRI&P 2-8-2s,
> retired 1946.
After a little research, I think MOT's plow actually was from number 2575. I believe this puts it with the same class of loco though.
An unconfirmed source has informed me that mine may be from loco #953, but I'm still working on that lead...

ddg14@msn.com

Post subject: Re: Mid-Continent Steam Status Update *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 am 

With the status of Saginaw 2 leaving Mid-Continent and heading to OCSR, I was curious about the other 2 steam locomotives at Mid-Continent.

I looked at their website and it looked that WC&C 1 had a lot of work done up until 2008, and then nothing. That work included new cast pilot trucks, a lot of work on the running gear, (new tires, machined crank pins, etc.) and a new door sheet and boiler work. But there have not been any posts since then. What is the status of this project?

With C&NW 1385, there are pretty regular updates.

Thanks, 154

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 am 

Another member and I have reworked the second tender truck and that is nearing completion. Needs to be trammed and bolts tightened up and a couple of other things. These trucks were indescribably bad. A slow approach is in effect to rebuild the front truck. Parts were retrieved a couple of years ago and inventoried. A member is starting to work on machine work to put this back together. No chips yet still in planning stage but parts are gathered up for the beginning of this project. Right now that is about it. There is not much money left in the locomotives account we are hoping to have enough to finish the front truck or get it close enough that we can get the funding to finish it. But one step at a time on this project. I am helping with it but the machine work and decisions on what to do are not mine.

If we can finish the front truck we can begin the assembly of the frame and running gear. If we got to that point maybe we could get enough enthusiasm to finish the project. The boiler needs a lot of work as almost all of the work that was done is FUBAR and needs to be done over. Needs a new tank built, only a pattern remains of the old one which was junk.

It is anybodies guess on when and how this will ever play out. But if a UP Big Boy can get yanked out of California, brought to Wyoming and get rebuilt to FRA running condition there is no reason to believe this little 50 ton 4-6-0 can't be done as well. Forking out the money to send the Polson #2 away when that cost would of almost covered the expense of restoring the WC&C #1 doesn't compute to me as a good business plan. But what would I know? So not much is happening with the #1, but the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. I learned that working on the #2. Just keep on keeping on. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:08 pm 

Re. the Western Coal & Coke No. 1. This locomotive, like the late Saginaw Timber No. 2, is privately owned. It was leased by Mid-Continent and operated until it was too worn out to operate any more without a major rebuild. The understanding was that, like the ST2, the museum would fund the restoration to operation. Had the restoration project been completed it is anyone's guess whether it would have actually operated at Mid-Continent.
However, two things happened to stop the project in its tracks. First was the adoption of CFR49 Part 230 which rendered nearly all of the completed boiler work invalid. Second was the devastating flood of 2008 which required every dollar the museum had just to survive. Now, while the museum puts all of its resources into the C&NW 1385, the W.C.&C. No. 1 continues to be worked on by a cadre of two or three Museum members but under nearly impossible budgetary restrictions. We can only hope for the day when funds to support the restoration will again be available.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 am 

Thanks for the very thoughtful replies on this subject. Like any experience, learning is something we all need to do, and keeping these subjects current will aid others who do not have that tribal knowledge of the past history of these locomotives.

The whole saga certainly brings bare the need for a comprehensive plan to ensure the resources are secured to protect and maintain a locomotive that you are using. The Mid-Continent of old found themselves using up locomotives to the point that they needed just about everything. They often were not able to determine this until the locomotive was in "exploded" view as it was torn down for major work. The need to get a locomotive on the head end of the train, resulted in moving on to another candidate that was less worn out and run that one. The motive was good, and the intention of getting back to the previous locomotive was pure, but time and life moves on, folks pass etc. and the old locomotives remained torn down waiting for it's time in the shop. This is certainly not the only organization to find itself is such a dilemma.

In addition to the WC&C #1, locomotives at Mid-Continent that ended up dissembled were the Union Pacific 440, Louisiana Cypress #2, CIPS #6, and the Saginaw Timber #2. The Dardanelle & Russellville #9 had been run to exhaustion, but thankfully was not dissembled.

To their credit, and the best interest of the artifacts, the UP 440 was relocated to Antigo and cosmetically restored as a Chicago & Northwestern locomotive and is on display under a shelter. The Woodward Iron 401 was sold to Age of Steam, and the Louisiana Cypress was also sold. This leaves them with a more manageable collection with still plenty of work to do.

One final question, is the subject of privately owned locomotives being used as regular museum power. I know that the LS&I 22 is privately owned, are any other locomotives at the museum not owned by the museum?

Attachments:
lc2a-300x169.jpg
lc2a-300x169.jpg [ 23.9 KiB | Viewed 8865 times ]
up440a.jpg
up440a.jpg [ 66.66 KiB | Viewed 8865 times ]
cips6a.jpg
cips6a.jpg [ 67.36 KiB | Viewed 8865 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am 

This is Mid-Continent's steam roster as of Oct. 2017:

Locomotive: Chicago & North Western #1385
Ownership: Museum

Locomotive: Western Coal & Coke #1
Ownership: Private
Status: Disassembled, very slowly undergoing restoration as described by previous posts

Locomotive: Dardanelle & Russellville #9

Locomotive: Goodman Lumber Co. #9

Locomotive: Copper Range #29

Locomotive: Kewaunee Green Bay & Western #49

Locomotive: Soo Line #2645

Locomotive: Lake Superior & Ishpeming #22
Ownership: Private

Locomotive: Central Illinois Public Service #6

Locomotive: Consumers Co. #701

Link to Mid-Continent's Steam Roster Page: http://www.midcontinent.org/equipment-roster/steam-locomotives/

Link to Mid-Continent's Steam Status Overview Page: http://www.midcontinent.org/steam-status/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 pm 

In answer Steve C, the WC&C #1 and the LSI #22 are privately owned and think they are the only remaining privately owned locomotives. What ever lease agreements or rental agreements there are is not my affair so I do not know and would not go into it if I did. There certainly is still enough work to be done that is for sure. Regards, John.

PS slight correction if I am reading your answer correctly Chuck. All the work done on the WC&C was done after the rule changes not before. Not sure if you were insinuating that but just wanted to clarify the time line of the boiler work and rule changes. It could be stated that the non compliance to the rule changes rendered the work not acceptable. Rule changes were really not the cause. Splitting of hairs I know, but there is a difference. Your description fits the LSI #22 as that boiler work was rendered no good as it was done just before the rule changes. If I am splitting hairs to much yell at me in St Paul in a week or so. I can take it! While the mistakes made on the WC&C #1 were made a long time ago nearing 8-10 yrs ago. The lessons are still available to learn from, or not. These kinds of mistakes are so costly it would be wise for anybody to read up on others mistakes and the purpose of this is to learn not to repeat them. With the Internet {thanks Al Gore} there is a lot to be learned in researching what not to do.