It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Gramling Engines
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:20 pm 

As many know, the Gramling family has two operational steam locomotives, the Flagg Coal 75 and the Lehigh Valley Coal 126. it appears that they have started on their next beater, a steam locomotive they are calling "Mack". First, where in the name of god did they find it? What is it's origin? And why is this the first I've heard of it? Here's pictures that are on the Flagg Coal 75 facebook page showing "Mack" being moved into their shop.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/medi ... 368&type=1
"Mack", being an 0-4-0, looks to be around the same size as the 75, but it's basically a boiler on wheels at the moment.
Regards, Dylan M. Lambert

Post subject: Re: The Gramling Engines
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 am 

According to Steamlocomotivedotcom, he owns a 1928 Vulcan 0-4-0ST, #1 (1385) from the Dexter & Northern. Dunno if this is the one. They also list 3 locomotives sunk in the Wabash River and this one certainly looks the part. Did the 75 and 126 look this bad when he started on them?

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm 

Charlie wrote:
According to Steamlocomotivedotcom, he owns a 1928 Vulcan 0-4-0ST, #1 (1385) from the Dexter & Northern. Dunno if this is the one. They also list 3 locomotives sunk in the Wabash River and this one certainly looks the part. Did the 75 and 126 look this bad when he started on them?

Charlie

If the pictures I've seen of 126 are any indicator, the current two the Gramlings have working at least had important parts, like cabs and water tanks. At least all the appliances are there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:50 pm 

This was posted on the Flagg Coal 75 facebook page. It explains the origins of "Mack";

"Mack (we think that is what we will call him) was built in 1928 for A. E. Dick Company of Audenried, PA. While at A.E. Dick it's number was 3885 which is too big of a number for a little engine so we think we will number it 85. It ended up working at the Jeddo Highland Coal Co. at Hazelton, PA."

This is a more recent post explaining where the Gramlings got "Mack";

"At this time we don"t know what name we will put on the engine. We purchased Mack from Gordon Brinthaupt a couple of years ago. Mr. Brinthaupt bought it in 1968 from Jeddo Coal. It sat behind a dinner in Horseheads, NY the whole time that he owned it. When the engine is rebuilt it will be just like Flagg Coal #75."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
This was posted on the Flagg Coal 75 facebook page. It explains the origins of "Mack";

"Mack (we think that is what we will call him) was built in 1928 for A. E. Dick Company of Audenried, PA. While at A.E. Dick it's number was 3885 which is too big of a number for a little engine so we think we will number it 85. It ended up working at the Jeddo Highland Coal Co. at Hazelton, PA."

This is a more recent post explaining where the Gramlings got "Mack";

"At this time we don"t know what name we will put on the engine. We purchased Mack from Gordon Brinthaupt a couple of years ago. Mr. Brinthaupt bought it in 1968 from Jeddo Coal. It sat behind a dinner in Horseheads, NY the whole time that he owned it. When the engine is rebuilt it will be just like Flagg Coal #75."

Dylan -

Well, it would seem to me that the engine should be named Dick, a tie in to the original owner. I seem to recall reading that the Gramling's also purchased an old 0-4-2T which would be the 4th engine in their stable. That engine could be named Jane, and then they could have a Dick and a Jane! Of course, I also think a better number than 85 would be 88, but then again I have raised the ire of the Gramling's before, so I'd better just crawl back into my hole and disappear.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:38 pm 

Here is the topic when Flagg Coal got #7 out of Florida.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30779&p=153353&hilit=saddle+tank+on+the+move#p153353

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:49 pm 

Afboone wrote:
Here is the topic when Flagg Coal got #7 out of Florida.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30779&p=153353&hilit=saddle+tank+on+the+move#p153353

Not to shabby. I do have a question though, but how long did repairs to the 126 take anyway? I only heard that she existed a few months ago. We might be able to gauge how long it will take per engine... Regardless, that makes four steam locomotives on Gramling property, right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:15 pm 

Thought I'd weigh in with a few answers to some of the questions being posed. 126 was bought from the estate of John Bauman in Carbondale PA in 1993, as a parts source for some missing items on 75 , mainly the throttle. we started on 126 or Sadie as we like to call her shortly after 75 was done. It essentially took ten years to do but we also remodeled my house I took a job in Owosso for 2 years or so and have gone back to work on a shortline in that time frame too. We work on the engines as we have time and money, money and time both in short supply when you are doing it yourself and trying to keep one on the road. The engine will be numbered 85 as those are the last two digits of his serial number, as for lettering even though Dick would have ties to its history I'm not that wild about having DICK in foot high letters on the side of our engine. Mack(85) is an indentical twin to Hank(75) they were built 2 years apart from the same set of blueprints. One reason we bought Mack was to get the parts for Sadie that we took off her for Hank.We hope to have 85 out in a couple of years if things go good.We need to get our pace up at getting these done as 75 only has 5 years left before we start all over again.AS far as condition they all looked pretty much the same when we got them. 85 is no worse than 75 or 126 when we got them. The cabs are all new as well as the plumbing and everything else.The reason they look alike is we built them to look the same, and when 85 is done we hope that it will look identical to75 since they really are twins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:37 pm 

Glad to see that you are bringing #126 to the TVRM's RailFest in September....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:32 pm 

Flagg wrote:
Thought I'd weigh in with a few answers to some of the questions being posed. 126 was bought from the estate of John Bauman in Carbondale PA in 1993, as a parts source for some missing items on 75 , mainly the throttle. we started on 126 or Sadie as we like to call her shortly after 75 was done. It essentially took ten years to do but we also remodeled my house I took a job in Owosso for 2 years or so and have gone back to work on a shortline in that time frame too. We work on the engines as we have time and money, money and time both in short supply when you are doing it yourself and trying to keep one on the road. The engine will be numbered 85 as those are the last two digits of his serial number, as for lettering even though Dick would have ties to its history I'm not that wild about having DICK in foot high letters on the side of our engine. Mack(85) is an indentical twin to Hank(75) they were built 2 years apart from the same set of blueprints. One reason we bought Mack was to get the parts for Sadie that we took off her for Hank.We hope to have 85 out in a couple of years if things go good.We need to get our pace up at getting these done as 75 only has 5 years left before we start all over again.AS far as condition they all looked pretty much the same when we got them. 85 is no worse than 75 or 126 when we got them. The cabs are all new as well as the plumbing and everything else.The reason they look alike is we built them to look the same, and when 85 is done we hope that it will look identical to75 since they really are twins.

Barney -

Thanks for the comments. "Mack" and 85 are actually fine with me (my suggestion of "Dick" was meant to be "tongue in cheek"); after all, it IS your locomotive. I also noticed that 3885 was the Vulcan serial number. Giving the engine the serial number as its road number was not uncommon during steam days umongst smaller operators. One other question. The engine worked for three different companies during its active career ending at the Jeddo Highland Coal Company in Hazelton, PA. Have you decided yet which company name she is going wear on her saddletank?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:05 pm 

Les Not sure what we will letter it I want Heidelberg Coal Dad is partial to Jeddo, but at any rate its still a ways away before we need to worry about that . The lettering on 126 was a heated discussion even after it was on the tank. For once I won out on that one. Barney

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 am 

Flagg, congrats again. Those tank engines are awesome to see and hear. I think you should call her "Big Mack" and haul her around on a Mack truck and lowboy called "Little Mack". :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm 

Thought I would do a quick update to this old thread, which is mostly about the Gramling's "new engine" (at the time); 0-4-0T # 85. "Mack" made her debut earlier this month at the Bluegrass Railroad Museum. A friend of mine, Joe Gasiorek was down there on 9/16/17 and took the attached photo of the little Vulcan. Another superb restoration job by the Gramlings! Long may Jeddo Coal # 85 roll!

Les

Attachments:
DSCN1529.JPG
DSCN1529.JPG [ 261.32 KiB | Viewed 10376 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am 

For those interested, Mack's next appearance will be in Kutztown, PA for two weekends (including Friday night steam trips on October 6) at the Allentown & Auburn Railroad.

For more, visit http://allentownandauburnrr.com/

Attachments:
return of steam.jpg
return of steam.jpg [ 98.16 KiB | Viewed 9919 times ]

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life