It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Private Varnish makes Washington Post front page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:50 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Normally, an article like this--a typical "fluff" piece on private cars featuring the DC-based Kitchi Gammi Club--would just get shoved away in our "Flimsies".........

.... but in this case it's above-the-fold, front-page, prominent placement of the best kind, more in keeping with a magazine piece, with video included on the website:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pri ... story.html

The online comments to this piece, of course, are utterly predictable if you've looked at any online news media commentary in the past few years (and, yes, some of the comments are mine):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pri ... &#comments

Photo gallery:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tra ... ml?hpid=z4

Post subject: Re: Private Varnish makes Washington Post front page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:52 pm 

I like the way the author called the Tacoma NRHS convention a "conference" in the photo captions.

Just exactly what configuration is the Kichi Gammi Club? Ten sections? More/less? Too bad they didn't mention the name Dover Harbor when they were quoting DC Chapter President Jim Lilly. They could also use the publicity, and that car is based in DC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm 

I believe Kichi Gammi Club is an 8 section, buffet Solarium, Pullman Plan 4025H. I believe there was only one other Pullman modified to this plan, Carlton Club.

In later years, it was a NKP business car and had a berth removed, and then was demoted to work train service.

I had the pleasure of riding this car once, and she is a beauty. The owner had a nice album showing the rather decrepit shape of the car when he bought it. As a private car, it has had some changes. I think there is a small kitchen located where one of the berths was, and the men's lounge has been converted into a private bedroom with it's own bathroom.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 pm 

Pullman Plan 4025H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 pm 

Technical inaccuracies aside, I enjoyed the article on the "KGC", I've been friends with Chuck for close to 40 years, and was one of the first people to "spot" the car in the scrap line in Roanoke when it was retired from MOW service. Restoration on the car started in Salem Va., it went north when Chuck started working for M&E. She frequently operated as a first class car in the "Old" NS Steam Program in early 90's.