It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Info on Reading & Northern EMD SW-1 #26?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:24 pm 

When scrolling around on Reading & Northern's website, I just clicked on the "Material and Equipment for sale" section and noticed they have an SW-1 for sale for $25,000. Does anyone have any further information on this locomotive? Thank you in advance. I searched on this site for info but didn't come across anything.

Note: I also looked on their locomotive roster and was unable to find it.

Picture:
http://www.readingnorthern.com/sales/SW-1.jpg

Here is the link:
http://www.readingnorthern.com/material_equipment_sales.shtml

Post subject: Re: Info on Reading & Northern EMD SW-1 #26?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:14 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This loco was acquired along with the Towanda-Monroeton Shipper's Lifeline in 2009:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze14e54i/id7.html

Quote:
Model: SW-1
Serial #: 909
Built: 10/1939
Order #: E307

Owner 1: Atlantic Coast Line

· Road # 1901
· Owned by EMC, SW-1 909 was operated by ACL as a test locomotive in 1939. It was later returned to EMC after being found inadequate for assigned duties. ACL also tested an Alco HH-660, which it numbered 1900 (Calloway)

Owner 2: Richmond Terminal

· Road # 1
· Placed in service 3/15/1940

Owner 3: Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR

· Road # 50
· Purchased 4/1/1944
· Sold to Canton RR - shipped 3/30/1956

Owner 4: Canton Railroad (CTN)

· Road # 26
· Canton RR was the original owner of five SW-1s numbered 21 through 25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SW1)

Owner 5: Jersey Contracting (Corporation?)

· Road # 26 (McBride)

Owner 6: (WJ) McCormick (McCormack) Sand and Gravel (WJMX) South Amboy, NJ

· Road # 26
· Reporting marks “WJMX” were eliminated in 4/1977 (http://www.nakina.net/other/report/reportw.html)
· Ceased rail operations around April of 1983 (McBride)

Owner 7: Towanda-Monroeton Shippers Lifeline (TMSS)

· Road # 26
· TMSS authorized to begin operations February 9th, 1977
· Railroad and locomotive purchased by the Reading and Northern RR December 19, 2009

Owner 8: Reading and Northern Railroad (RBMN)

· Road # ??
· Purchased December 19, 2009

Early history provided by Bill Griffin:

"This EMD SW-1 660-hp diesel switcher was built in 1939 and placed in service on March 15, 1940 as Richmond Terminal Railway Company No. 1. During the early years of World War II it was found that the engine was not heavy enough for the increased passenger work at Broad Street Station. Hence, it was decided to transfer the switcher, which was owned by Richmond Terminal to the RF&P, substituting in its place at Broad Street Station one of the 1000-hp Alco diesel switchers which the RF&P then had on order. On April 1, 1944, Richmond Terminal No. 1 was purchased by the RF&P from Richmond Terminal and was renumbered RF&P No. 50. The engine was used by the RF&P at Boulton Yard in the vicinity of the Richmond freight station until sold to the Canton Railway Company. It was shipped to the Canton at Baltimore on March 30, 1956."

In the trivia department, this hunk of railroad is apparently the only surviving stretch of the former Susquehanna & New York RR, another of those railroads that probably should never have been built.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:57 pm 

Hmm, thanks for all the info, Alexander. I wonder why Reading & Northern purchased it, to my knowledge, never used it on the mainline (I live literally 10 feet from the tracks and never saw this engine in use) and turn around and attempt to sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As I understand it, it came with the assets of the T-MSL when they bought the latter in early 2010. The R&N promptly moved a more modern SW8, as I recall a former LV "pup" (ballasted SW8), to work the line; I'm pretty sure the only rationale is a loco eleven years newer of known maintenance heritage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
As I understand it, it came with the assets of the T-MSL when they bought the latter in early 2010. The R&N promptly moved a more modern SW8, as I recall a former LV "pup" (ballasted SW8), to work the line; I'm pretty sure the only rationale is a loco eleven years newer of known maintenance heritage.

And the SW-1 has "friction" bearings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 pm 

And the SW-1 has "friction" bearings[/quote]
That's actually what GM called them in the manuals! I have a circa 1950 EMD switcher manual and surprised by it.
The SW1 is *cheap* really, when you consider it's probably 100 tons and scrap steel is well over $200 ton plus a LOT of copper and such - the SW is serviceable!

CD