It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flaglers Folly
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:06 pm 

FEC 90, built in 1898 by Jackson & Sharp, was also a Henry Flagler PV (his first?). It is now at the Indiana Transportation Museum.
http://www.itm.org/fec90.html

Edit: According to the Henry Flagler Museum YouTube clip, No. 91 was built before No. 90.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:21 pm 

This is in reply to the query about steam on the FEC.

The Freedom Train ran through Florida in the late 70's. I believe this was the last time any steam powered train was considered with any weight, and I'm sure someone who was around at the time can add to this, but concrete ties were supposedly the factor. Obviously you can run a steam engine on concrete ties, but this was the reason passed on to my father (ex FEC employee) from my grandfather (retired FEC).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 pm 

http://www.newmanpr.com/2011/11/07/keys-‘railroad-that-went-to-sea’-to-mark-100th-anniversary/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:44 am 

Mary Lilly Keenan Flagler was the richest woman in the world when Henry Morrison Flagler passed away May 20,1913. Henry died from complications of a broken hip after a fall down the stairs at Whitehall. Dianne Jacoby of Saint Augustine portrays "The Three Mrs. Flaglers" starting with Mary Harkness Flagler. Who tells about how Henry started out penniless and started Standard Oil of Ohio with John D. Rockefeller and how Henry set business aside to bring her to Florida for her health.

Then the flamboyant Ida Alice Shrouds Flagler slips into insanity, suffering from mental illness is institutionalized in New York living till 1932. She died a rich woman as Henry left a large sum of money for her care. After divorcing her under what is now known as "The Flagler Law" making insanity grounds for divorce in Florida.

His third wife Mary Lilly Keenan Flagler was with Henry when he built the Florida East Coast Railway down the eastern seaboard of Florida. When the "Overseas Railway" was completed, Mary Lilly talks about the "Hansom young engineer" easing the 5 car train to a stop at Key West. (That engineer was Dianne Jacoby's paternal Grandfather!) Her Maternal Grandfather was a judge in Jacksonville who presided over the FEC receivership.

The presentation was very entertaining as well as educational.

Attachments:
Optimized-IMG_20111110_204415.JPG
Optimized-IMG_20111110_204415.JPG [ 200.49 KiB | Viewed 8247 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:31 pm 

Jeff Lisowski wrote:
Having come up from Key West this morning, I am wondering where the heavyweight car that is directly off route 1 just north of Seven Mile Bridge came from.

Any one know, I can't seem to find any information online.

Jeff -

Unfortunately, I can't help you on the heavyweight car. But I wonder if you happened to see a C&O cupola caboose located just off of Highway 1 around Islamorada? When the wife and I visited the Keys a number of years ago, I spotted the caboose which was the local Chamber of Commerce office at that time. I wonder if this caboose might still be there? Sure was a long way from home!

Reading back through this old thread, I noticed a few things have changed, including the situation with Cuba.

Hope you find out about the heavyweight passenger car.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 pm 

Here are links photos of the car identified as "Pigeon Key Visitor Center - Gift Shop."

http://www.florida-keys-experience.com/images/pigeon-key-visitor-center-marathon-key-florida.jpg.jpg

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34347-d143352-Reviews-Pigeon_Key-Marathon_Florida_Keys_Florida.html#photos

http://wanderthemap.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_50321.jpg

Walking tour of the 7 mile bridge and Pigeon Key.

http://wanderthemap.com/2013/11/walking-old-7-mile-bridge-pigeon-key/

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:57 pm 

I think that heavyweight is an M-K-T 1930s vintage car. Cast-integral pedestals, heavy fabricated belt rail, wide single windows; all shout "Katy".

Any M-K-T experts here ? (which I am assuredly not)

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:17 am 

The air conditioning cover/hatch on the roof is very similar to those on the MKT coaches which ended up at CSRM (#642 and #644) and in Colfax, CA (#6xx-series, exact # unknown).

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4018075

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4018094

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 am 

Per "More Classic Trains", page 254:

I think the Keys car is Frisco "Tulsa" or "Oklahoma City", a lounge car built in 1933. The window arrangement is an exact match. According to Art Dubin's caption, these cars were two out of a total of six passenger cars ordered in the US in that Depression year of 1933.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:09 pm 

Les- yes that C & O caboose is still there, I saw it two weeks ago. There is an another caboose in someone's backyard in Islamorada on the waterfront on the south west side, you can see it if you are t
travelling northbound from the highway .

John- Ross Rowland's #614 also visited South Florida, in 1981 hauling the Safety Express. Both #4449 and #614 ran on Seaboard Coast Lines rails, therefore not treading on concrete crossties.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 pm 

Mark -

Thanks for the info on the C&O caboose. When I visited that area a number of years ago, the girls in this Chamber of Commerce caboose stated that the car was getting too small for them and they thought they were going to have to get a bigger place. Of course, the caboose may no longer house the CofC, but I was worried that if they moved out, the caboose might have ended up being abandoned. Glad to hear it is at least still there. Also, thanks for the info on the other caboose. I did not know about that one.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:08 pm 

Be careful with the preceding post. The link, opened on a Macintosh, goes to the Mcallen Fence Company in Texas. I have no idea what automatically opens or downloads itself on a Windows machine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:13 pm 

Overmod wrote:
Be careful with the preceding post. The link, opened on a Macintosh, goes to the Mcallen Fence Company in Texas. I have no idea what automatically opens or downloads itself on a Windows machine.

Thanks, Overmod. I noticed this too. Same poster also had a comment on the Delta Queen thread and I wonder if that might be something simlilar (I didn't open that one).

Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:00 pm 

7 years of link rot, guys.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:09 am 

Dave wrote:
7 years of link rot, guys.....

No, it's the seemingly increasing amount of spam accounts leaking through and posting here. Some with potentially malicious links. The same user, the account only hours old, made a similar post with suspicious link in the Delta Queen thread. Thank you moderators for handling the situation and removing rhe user/posts.