It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: St. Louis Museum of Transportation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:12 pm 

"Rustoleum" is not a product we use at the Museum of Transport. Rustoleum interacts with primer and other coatings that makes a mess. We have done research on primers and paint coatings at the MOT. We try a product, and if it does not fade, blister, or otherwise degrade in a short time, we add it to are arsenal of tested products that we do use. No covering is going to be peprfect. At least not in the price range that we can afford.

One of the Museums problems is doing work over again due to weathering. The Union Pacific 4006 Bigboy comes to mind. It seems like just yesterday we worked on it, and now it needs more work.

At this time, we have about the largest group of volunteeers at the Museum. This is great. We are having a good year on progress. Could we use more volunteers? Actually, once you think about it, while a volunteer provides free labor, he or she does use tools, and supplies that cost money. So, volunteers and money goes hand in hand. Another cost, is the management of volunteers, you have to know what they are doing. There was a time when the volunteeers did thier thing wiithout supervision. That can cause big problems down the road. Some parts of our projects today is undoing what was done years ago. When it comes to wood, I do not think that deck screws are that historically accurate.

The P5a sits back in the corner of the Abbott shed for a reason. That locomotive weighs a lot. So we move it as seldom as possible to avoid track damage. I would rather work on the New York Central "S" motor 113. I would like to work on other projects, but again, time, people and money.

I have been a volunteer at the museum since 1987 when I joined the Frisco 1522 restoration project. I just keep coming back. The best thing about being a volunteer is what you can learn. I like to learn.

Jim Butler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 pm 

I'll have to second and echo Mr. Butler's sentiments. Even since I showed up in St. Louis 8 years ago, and began volunteering at MOT, I have noticed at least 15-20 pieces of equipment painted, several very thorough restorations, and all kinds of other work. The vast majority of this work was done with volunteers, and good volunteer supervision.

The MOPAC obs car is just beautiful. I was impressed when they disassembled the window blinds for the car and painted each individual slat, and reassembled them.

The great thing about volunteering for me is that I've learned a lot of skills that I never would have learned in my real world job as an attorney. That, and actually seeing progress, is what keeps me coming back.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:51 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
Richard,

You are more than welcome, next time you are in St. Louis, to don your overalls, bring your paintbrush and bondo and help us. Of course, that's a lot harder to do than just post photos. Unfortunately, even basic restorations take time, planning, money and manpower. The MOPAC observation car that you saw took several years, with a dedicated crew working on it. Doing the work is certainly easier than typing.

Careful what you wish for. I am traveling through St. Louis later this week. I'd love to stop by and talk shop, and particularly, talk paint. And I will have my overalls and can even bring some paint!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:57 pm 

I visited MOT three years ago and was impressed by the organization of the railroad collection. Sadly the traction collection is in exile on the lower part of the property and I was not able to see it when I was there. The railroad collection is well-labeled. The auto display was a nice surprise, and MOT has a children's activity area.

MOT offers a truly national railroad collection that is worth the visit.

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:06 pm 

Quote:
Maybe MOT could trade RRMPA the P5 for the DD1 they have sitting outside rusting. Then they could both have their "redemption hastened."

David M. Wilkins
Lives in a Glass House, MO

Well said David! Maybe they could simply swap them every 5 years in a cooperative effort.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Wes: Been sending you regular images of steam locmotives, but they keep getting bounced back. Sure, I have tons more for steamlocomotive.com . Contact me.

Pictures welcomed here as well, and my e-mail won't bounce. :)

Looks like you are having a great time on your round-the-country tour. I am envious.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:09 pm 

Martin Moorefield wrote:
Us Virginian's want our Y6a back................

Great pictures btw...

Martin

I'm sure Mad River wouldn't turn down NKP #170.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:02 pm 

I've been lurking for a while and I feel like this is a good place to make my first post. I volunteer at the museum as well, though as a tour guide and not involved in restoration work. Funny, I don't know if I've ever met Jim or David (maybe I have and just didn't know it)! The internet is weird in that regard.

It does seem that in the last few months painting and restoration has been on the rise. We are restoring the Mohawk, the vinegar car, and the trolley. Paint work has been done on the Army MRS-1 and the milk car. We also got a cool new IT sign in the Roberts Building (looking fine, by the way). I know fundraisers have been held for the CNW Atlantic and the Wabash 573 has had some donations.

We also have been ridding the collection of a few passenger cars and diesels. The scrapping of the FM and the RS1 were a little upsetting, and I don't know all of the reasons for it. However, I knew that removing the locomotives would be quite a challenge (and to me at least seemed out of the question). Too bad, but at least the opposed piston engine was saved. I've never heard about the AS616 story, and I'm more than a little curious!

Overall, I think the museum is getting a little more ambitious. We have had a few smaller projects that have made a difference, and the major restorations have been good. I can't wait to see the finished Mohawk!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 pm 

David, if you take my posting as criticism, please take it as constructive criticism. Whatever problems MOT has, they are based in an embarrassment of riches. Unlike most tourists, I know what these items are, as well as what they once were and might be again.

With regard to the round the nation trip, it might be called, "Follow the Big Boys". My goal this year was to visit places I've wanted to see since I first received a copy of "Twilight of Steam", in 1964. After I retired last year, I had a stroke and then heart surgery. We did this trip last year and are repeating it once more, only a slightly different route. I pity those who do not get out to see this fantastic country while they are still able to move. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Priceless.

The staff at MOT was generous and expansive in sharing their projects with me. I hope my pictures stir further interest in what is happening in railroad preservation around North America.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 pm 

What RS-1 was scrapped? Was it M&StL 546? If so, I'm sorry to hear that.

I attempted to acquire it for the local museum in 2002 to replicate either a Chattahoochee Industrial or Bay Line RS-1 (pre-chopped nose), and to have an Alco diesel to demonstrate technology advances within the same locomotive building company as compared to the museum's Alco steam loco. This would have been a static display because we were informed that the RS-1 had been flooded and the prime mover, traction motors, etc. were beyond reasonable repair. At that time there were two other, more local (St. Louis area?) organizations that wanted the RS-1, so we wound up with the combine we wanted, but not the locomotive. Apparently neither of the other organizations were able to pull together a plan to save it.

I believe the 546 was one of the pieces offered a year or so ago, but by that time things had changed so much at the local museum that I was in no position to go after it.

That's the way it goes, I suppose...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:34 pm 

Stephen S. Syfrett wrote:
What RS-1 was scrapped? Was it M&StL 546? If so, I'm sorry to hear that.

Yes. The orange and white RS-1 bit the dust earlier this year, along with the Army FM H12-44 #1844. The scrapping of the locomotives stirred up quite a few conversations!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 pm 

Would you mind posting what is on your approved paint list?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 am 

robertmacdowell wrote:
Careful what you wish for. I am traveling through St. Louis later this week. I'd love to stop by and talk shop, and particularly, talk paint. And I will have my overalls and can even bring some paint!

Robert,

Sent you a PM. Let me know when you will be in the area. I'm heading to Kentucky on Friday for an early Thanksgiving, but will be back on Sunday.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 am 

Finally made it to St. Louis to visit the museum yesterday. We had a great time. Definitely a lot to do and the kids enjoyed it. I finally got to see 1522, one of the engines on my list to see. Unfortunately the kids were screaming at that point and it was time to go. One observation I had was that it was sandwiched so tightly into the mix that I almost missed it. I would have thought given its history that it would have been given a more "prime" spot. However, I also noted that the museum is undergoing quite a bit of improvements as well, new paved walkways, painting of exhibits (big boy). Definitely worth the trip though and I really recommend it. Thanks to all that volunteer their time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:00 am 

I was almost embarrassed that it took me over two decades to visit again from the Chicago area which I did last summer.

My must see list was the FT, the MILW Bi-Polar, B&O 50, the PRR P5a, 1522, 4006, the little Wabash Mogul that figured in one of the Morgan/Hastings steam series stories, and the Chrysler Turbine Car. I forgot to walk over to see the Aerotrain.

If I would know when they operate the turbine auto I would try to arrange to be there. An email about that went unanswered.

Steve