It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Washington Terminal RS1 57
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 am 

Does anyone have the current status of former Washington Terminal / New Hope & Ivyland / Black River & Western / East Penn Railway ALCO RS1 number 57. Thanks - David Notarius, London UK, ex New Hope PA

Attachments:
brw57.jpg
brw57.jpg [ 35.82 KiB | Viewed 13607 times ]

Post subject: Re: Washington Terminal RS1 57
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am 

David, others more knowledgeable than I can chime in, but when I last saw it, the 57 was in Quakertown, PA. Rumor has it that the locomotive and the doodlebug 4446 (owned by the same person) were for sale as a package deal.

Dave

P.S. Of note, the 57 had roller bearing trucks installed in the 1990's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 am 

Not intending to derail this thread, but I do wish the Green Mountain would acquire an additional RS-1...

Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:16 am 

Roller bearings will help with moving the locomotive, but it will still have to have "Alignment Control Couplers". I do work with a company that has and can install these couplers in an old Alco "S" series switcher or an "RS1". If you need this done, you can contact me through this site.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 pm 

So why does a locomotive being moved dead-in-consist need alignment control couplers while freight cars do not?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:50 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
So why does a locomotive being moved dead-in-consist need alignment control couplers while freight cars do not?

Steve

By most railroad's Air Brake and Train Handling (ABTH) rules, DH locomotives go on the head end of the train, coupled to the live power. With the demise of the caboose and a steady indoctrination in fuel saving engine driving techniques, the use of dynamic brakes is heartily encouraged, and stretch braking is not. If you have a dead locomotive in consist, and go down a 1.75% grade and into an 8 degree curve with the dynamics screaming on the head end, when the rear end crests the hill the locomotive without the alignment control couplers may be popped right out of the consist.

Most railroads have rules preventing empties (think particularly empty TTX flatcars) from the head ends of long freight trains for the same reason.

(the other) Steve

Last edited by SZuiderveen on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:34 pm 

I see the issue for very light, empty cars but for the "heavy boxcar" a dead engine represents not so much, unless there is something different about a (non A.C.) locomotive coupler than a real freight car's.

But I'll take your word for it!

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm 

The railroad decided to not move any equipment with "Friction Bearings" after more then a century of use. Now they have decided not to move locomotives with out "Alignment Control Couplers".

I had an hour and a half phone conversation with the NS mechanical department heads in Altanta, Ga a few months ago about this. I ask why these locomotives could not be moved in locals, never really got an answer.

It boils down to 2 things:

1. It is their railroad and they make the rules.
2. Train handling.

Before they stopped allowing stop blocks, the NS moved a locomotive for me over 500 miles. I had put 7 new brake shoes on the locomotive before it left and when it arrived, there was not even a scratch on the new brake shoes.

This is all dynamic braking, with little or no use of train air braking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
I see the issue for very light, empty cars but for the "heavy boxcar" a dead engine represents not so much, unless there is something different about a (non A.C.) locomotive coupler than a real freight car's.

But I'll take your word for it!

Steve

The issue is likely the kingpin to striker distance... locomotives have a LOT more overhang than freight cars. So do TTX cars (empty or loaded) but those have already been mentioned.

Side note... if it's worth saving, it's worth saving complete. If not, why save it at all?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As a reminder, sister WT RS1 59 is still stranded down not far away in Salem, NJ on a shortline, rusting away with friction trucks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 pm 

Dave,

WT 57 is owned by the same guy who owns PRR 4666, Carl Hosler.

57 needs AC couplers in order to move. The RS1 also needs some work on the air pump. He is currently trying to work out getting these things taken care of.

Carl is a pretty handy and knowledgeable guy, just this past Sunday he was helping me with the nuances of 14El brake on LV 112.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 pm 

Didn't the 57 take a whack from an errant tank car recently? Has that damage been repaired?

Mike Tillger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:56 pm 

Scott, does Carl have plans to move the engine to a different location?

I last saw #57 working in revenue freight service in the fall of 2006 after Rich Adams did a decent amount of work to the engine. It was also fired up for the Santa Claus run in Quakertown in late 2007. Was that the last time it ran? During a recent up close gander in Q-Town, I observed that the headlamp glass was smashed on the south-end. What a shame....

I hope that Carl can find the resources to bring shiny luster back to this very interesting and historic piece. I always enjoyed watching her work up the grade at Rockhill Road with a decent load attached. If a work party is organized in the future, please let us know if any volunteers are wanted/needed/welcome. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 pm 

Mike,

Yup! it took a hit alright and has not been repaired yet.

wrg113,

Not really sure what Carl has planned for the loco.

The Black River Railroad Historical Trust is always looking for new volunteers, so come on down. Send me a PM if you want more info.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:08 pm 

Thanks for the updates, wishing you and Carl the best with your projects. Keep up the great work. Have you found other uses for your GPS system you used in tracking your Locomotive?
Mike Tillger