It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chesapeake Western #662 Baldwin diesel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 pm 

I was looking at the Roanoke NRHS Chapter Facebook page tonight and wanted to comment on how pleased I am with the work they have done so far on Chesapeake Western #662, a BLW diesel switcher that was saved from the Lost Engines of Roanoke.
The group has done a great job on replacing the rusted areas of sheet metal around the cab, and I see they have just sandblasted and primed it. It LOOKS GREAT !!!!
Keep up the great work, wish I lived close enough so that I could help.
I know that a few years ago the builder's plates for the #662 and #663 were sold on Ebay (one each). Did they end up with your group ?

Kevin K.

Post subject: Re: Chesapeake Western #662 Baldwin diesel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 am 

Kevin,
Thanks for the kind words, we appreciate the support. I wish that we were further along on 662, but a couple of things have slowed us down. God has blessed us with a lot of rainy weekends over the past year, and NS and VMT have provided us with a number of opportunities to operate rides and show off our equipment for public display at special events. The down side there is that it cuts into your time chipping rust.

The weather forecast for this weekend is good, so we're planning on media blasting and priming the carbody down to the radiator access panels. This section is in good shape. The nose still has a fair amount of metal work to be done. We plan to bring in a glass contractor to put in new cab windows sometime in the next month so that we can work on the cab interior in January and February. The goal is to have her finished and delivered to VMT by "Roanoke Rail Day" in early May.

We've got two operating commitments coming up before the end of the year. T6 #41 and cabooses 518539 and 518409 will be delivering Santa for the "Santa by Rail" at the Link Museum on Dec. 3rd. The following weekend, we will be operating the "Candy Cane Shifter" Christmas train rides at VMT.

Link to Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/roanokenrhs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:07 pm 

Well, I'm pretty impressed with your progress to date. I love old Baldwins and I thought for many years this was a goner. You folks have done some good work.

Now, if we can just get you in touch with SMS Rail Lines maybe they can convince you its not too far gone to make her run again :)

Wish you success with the project.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:03 pm 

Scott Markloff wrote:
Well, I'm pretty impressed with your progress to date. I love old Baldwins and I thought for many years this was a goner. You folks have done some good work.

Now, if we can just get you in touch with SMS Rail Lines maybe they can convince you its not too far gone to make her run again :)

Wish you success with the project.

662 is VMT's engine, we're just making her pretty for them. But don't forget, we own the 663.......:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 pm 

While the rest of us were at VMT getting stuff ready for the upcoming operating events, Rick's team media blasted 3/4 of the carbody today. Tarps are in place for the night, priming tomorrow. Pictures to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 am 

We had another good work day today. CW 662 is now in primer except for about 5' from the nose back where more metal work is needed to repair some places where the sheet metal has rusted through. We did have to finish up in the dark, since it really gets late early this time of year. We've posted pictures of today's progress to our Facebook page if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/roanokenrhs