It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Union Depot
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:30 pm 

The Combine Trucks -- I believe I know who is acquiring the combine's trucks, which are still at the scrap yard in Hamilton (see photo). I am trying to confirm the information.

Attachments:
combine_truck.jpg
combine_truck.jpg [ 105.94 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

Last edited by rlsteam on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:35 pm 

Richard,
I'll wait to hear what plans there might be for the reminiscences. Thanks for the offer to share. I may come back to you on that.
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 pm 

The Combine -- We are told we could have the body of the combine for scrap value. Regrettably, the cost is deemed prohibitive in the light of other pressing structural needs at the Depot and the limited availability of funds. In other action, we applied for a well-known annual rail preservation award but were not the winning proposal from among some 120 applicants.

For a summary of depot history and current preservation efforts, visit our web site, http://www.keokukuniondepot.org.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:40 am 

We are closer to getting work done to repair the weakened window arch and interior wall in the waiting room, which will permit completion of roof repairs over that area. For the story, go here:

http://dailygate.com/articles/2011/11/03/news/dgc1346633.txt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:37 am 

I understand that Laramie depot museum may have benches they dont require, you may want to contact them.

http://www.laramiedepot.org/

Mike Pannell
Cheyenne

Post subject: Re: Keokuk Union Depot COMBINE CAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:18 am 

Could someone provide some contact information about the scrapper for this car? It looks like a good tourist RR candidate. Does anyone know of any sister cars?
Thanks
ncg1@cornell.edu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:40 pm 

The car body was still at the Central Iron & Metals scrapyard in Hamilton, Illinois when I drove past a few days ago. They wanted $80 a ton or something like that, I believe I was told (but don't quote me).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:09 pm 

The combine depicted in this thread is still available. It has its combine end baggage doors in place as well as a large heater stove, light fixtures, door hardware, interior railing. Trucks have been removed. The scrap yard estimates the car as is weighs 80 tons and current scrap value is $250-280 per ton. The car body and roof are in good/fair shape. Additional photos below. Car is located at Central Iron and Metal in Hamilton, IL. Spoke with Robbie Reed 1-800-531-9085. Will post additional pics.

Attachments:
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG [ 76.45 KiB | Viewed 10289 times ]
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG [ 83.04 KiB | Viewed 10289 times ]
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG [ 65.57 KiB | Viewed 10289 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 pm 

Additional photos

Attachments:
photo (6).JPG
photo (6).JPG [ 64.43 KiB | Viewed 10289 times ]
photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG [ 81.07 KiB | Viewed 10289 times ]
photo (4).JPG
photo (4).JPG [ 79.7 KiB | Viewed 10289 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:52 pm 

Something to keep in mind about the value the scrap yard is that the car more than likely has many materials contributing to that 80 ton weight. That would include a concrete floor to give the car added weight. Also there may be Haz-Mat attached to the car that will cost money to dispose of when the car is scrapped. The price of $250 - $280 per ton is more than likely the clean cut up scrap. IT also cost money in time and materials to turn that car into the value they may be quoting you on the price. JUst some thoughts if you are serious about trying to buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:04 pm 

Richard,
While reading back through your post's on the Keokuk depot you mentioned trying to find the old train arrival/departure bulletin board.Do you have any photo's of the one that used to be on the Keokuk depot or any other like it on a CB&Q depot for comparison?

I was just curious as these old bulletin boards seem to be sought after by RR collectors and the prices often get rather prohibitive trying to buy one.A local NYC RR one wich hung in the depot uptown near where i live ended up on Ebay just prior to the depot being demolished.Unforntunately i did not win it as it ended up going for $700 to some RR collector who could care less about local RR history.I did luckily scan all the photo's and wrote down the measurements of it from the Ebay listing wich was rather helpful.

A few years ago our local rail trail group aquirred a neighboring towns NYC RR depot for our trail headquarters/ small local RR history museum and we have since began restoring it.It was missing it's train arrival/departure board so i ended up making new one along with the stations name end boards since i had photo's and measurements of both.They turned out rather nicely and the cost was very cheap,although being new wood with a little light stain and polyurethane applied it gave them a aged appearance.I've since made several others for friends as gifts.

That's why i was wondering if you had any photo's of the train arrival departure board.If you'd like to see scans of some that i made let me know.

Fritz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 pm 

I have been hoping that a photo of the waiting room showing the arrival/departure board would turn up, so that we could reconstruct a facsimile of it. However, nothing has surfaced thus far.

In other news, a contractor skilled in restoration is now working on repairing the window arch (downriver side of the waiting room, on the platform side) and once that work is complete the roof repairs over that area will be able to be completed. Volunteers have been repairing windows and refurbishing the protective coverings. Outside work is suspended for the winter, but the large door into the baggage room from the rear of the building is being reframed and rehung. There is now a working furnace in that area, which makes interior work possible (and we have actually had some Depot Commission meetings there).

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:07 pm 

The deteriorated window arch on the railroad side has been repaired, and volunteers have fabricated replacement "decorative brackets" (see photo, taken from under the platform umbrella) that will support the soffitt, so that roof repairs in that area may be completed.

Attachments:
keokuk_depot_decorative_brackets.jpg
keokuk_depot_decorative_brackets.jpg [ 96.18 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

Last edited by rlsteam on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:13 pm 

On Thursday, April 26, representatives of the Questers (a local group promoting historical preservation) presented a check for more than $3000.00 to the Union Depot Commission. Part of the gift was from a grant secured by the Questers, and part was from proceeds of an antiques appraisal event they sponsored. The funds will be used for rehabilitation and reglazing of the Depot's windows. In the photo, a Quester spokesperson presents the check to the treasurer of the Commission.

Attachments:
keokuk_depot_quester_gift.jpg
keokuk_depot_quester_gift.jpg [ 107.92 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

Last edited by rlsteam on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:03 am 

Work is ongoing to pull up the platform bricks and reset them over new, leveled sand. During the years Pioneer Railcorp (Keokuk Junction) had the depot, their people ran trucks over the platform in connection with railcar maintenance on the adjacent track, and depressed the bricks. We are resetting them to smooth out the platform.

Attachments:
keokuk_depot_brick_work_6-4-12.jpg
keokuk_depot_brick_work_6-4-12.jpg [ 111.74 KiB | Viewed 7632 times ]

Last edited by rlsteam on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next