It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kettle Moraine Railway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:47 pm 

What has happened to the railroad, it's equipment, buildings since the line closed. Is the track being removed?

I know it is a sad story.

"There's only one 'bo that's got the stuff to try me, and you ain't even on the list." - Shack / Emperor of the North. ****GO PHILS****

Post subject: Re: Kettle Moraine Railway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:45 pm 

The locomotives went to the National RR Museum in Green Bay.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:58 am 

The depot, engine shed and a couple of sidings remain as a base for Steve Butler's equipment repair business but I believe the rest of the track has been removed.

Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:48 pm 

My sister lives near by, and basically it was suburban sprawl that invaded the area they operated in. 20 years ago it was rolling farm land, now its McMansions. Some locals had complained of noise and smoke but I don’t know if that was it.
When the town of Merton started harassing Kettle Moraine with citations for violating the town's “junk ordinance” they cashed in there chips. Too bad I thought there little road was not only a nice fit for the area, but they did a lot for the community.
A posted story and pictures at…
http://my.execpc.com/~amueller/kmrr.html
Most of that right of way is now bike trail.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:38 am 

How sad! The community's lack of willingness to support a tourist attraction that can only be beneficial to the community is a plague that we are seeing more of in other areas of the country. Let me guess their intentions-more ratables. And what's up with the anti junk ordinance? As the saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" Where some see junk, we see restorable equipment that in some instances must sit unattended due to the lack of monetary support and the volunteers to restore such equipment. In the meantime, more history is destroyed. When we have someone pass the "junk" comment to us, we ask them to donate to the restoration or volunteer to aid in that restoration. They just don't understand that you cannot pick up a catalog and order a 1923 Tidewater tank car! I am glad to hear that there is a community that realizes what an operation like this can do FOR their community.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:54 pm 

Thanks for the info everyone.

What a sad turn of events....... I guess someday I can bike the line I hoped ride one day. : (

Have the loco's steamed since going to the museum?

"There's only one 'bo that's got the stuff to try me, and you ain't even on the list." - Shack / Emperor of the North. ****GO PHILS****

Last edited by Alan S. Levy on Tue May 01, 2007 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:37 am 

Not sure if any of this info has changed or not, but here goes. The Heilser is up in Green Bay at the Nat RR musuem. It ran there a couple of years ago on selected weekends. Also there are, or were the 2 Lackwana coaches that were part of the Kettle Moraine RR. The #9 2-6-2 is still at the home base in the shop under the roof. The LSI 2-8-0 is outside of the shop with some work started on it. I know nothing about the LSI engine except that it was there the last time I stopped in and the flues were out. To the best of my knowledge nothing is being done on the #9 at this time. It is not forgotten about, just on back burner as far as I know. Haven't talked with those guys for some time now. {Hi Steve}.

My turn to ask a question? Does anybody know how Richard Hinebough is doing? Last I heard he was hanging in there. He is the founder of the Kettle Morraine RR and a founding member of Mid Continent RR museum. He was a mover and a shaker in his day, and I wish him and Ester well.

John.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 pm 

Any updated info on the situation there in North Lake, Wisconsin?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:04 pm 

All of the prior info is pretty much up to date other than the Heisler is no longer in the state, It was sold to the Arizona Eastern and I think is now resting in Alamosa?

The real irony is if the railroad had been able to survive through till today it would have the opportunity to do booming business. Not just in regular ridership but in special events such as dinner trains, polar, etc. The same urban sprawl that caused some issues back circa '03 or '04 (ish) could and would now be supporting it due to the manner in which the suburbs have continued to expand out from milwaukee.

Such is life....

Cheers, Jason

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm 

....Didn't the two Lack's go to the Virginia and Truckee a couple years back?....the combine was a CNJ with vestibules cut off to match the Lackawanna's

And there is nothing to say that down the road, since the ROW is preserved, that it can be relayed.... if the township and community can support it, and fund it, it could happen.

Last edited by junior on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:23 pm 

junior wrote:
....Didn't the two Lack's go to the Virginia and Truckee a couple years back?

And there is nothing to say that down the road, since the ROW is preserved, that it can be relayed.... if the township and community can support it, and fund it, it could happen.

All it would take is money- and lots of it. Costs a lot more to lay track than to tear it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:41 pm 

Is there any real evidence of the community clamoring for the line to be rebuilt? Just what are we discussing here........

dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:49 am 

The two Kettle Morraine coaches have a good home on the Virginia & Truckee, aptly named the "Silver City" and the "Gold Hill" and operate three days a week from Carson City to Virginia City and during inclement weather on the daily run from Virginia City to Gold Hill and back. The wicker Hale and Kilborn walkover seats have been renewed and pullman lighting fixtures have been reinstalled, though not the exact ones the coaches were manufactured with, the drop hoppers have been replaced with microphors.
The coaches are looking for some 36 inch wheelsets if anyone knows of any or has some for sale.
Thank-you,
Thomas

Attachments:
File comment: Ladies waving from ex. DL&W, ex Kettle Moraine coaches on the V & T making the 19 degree curve, 3.8% gradient, around Gold Hill on way to Virginia City
good bye II.jpg
good bye II.jpg [ 141.77 KiB | Viewed 14788 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am 

Didn't think those two coaches would last long. Checked them out when in Green Bay, Wi and were for sale. A couple of us were looking at going in together on at least one of them. At the time none of us had any real use for them and couldn't justify the expenditure. The floors had some issues as they were buckling in a couple of spots, but I thought overall they were in reasonable shape and they have that old time look about them. Looked kind of funny with the smaller wheels, but it worked! Glad they are being used.

As for the proper 36" wheel sets, Mid Contintent is also on the lookout for replacement wheel sets or wheels to be made up for there Lack coaches. Seems not to be a common size and very expensive to have special run made up. Maybe they found a source by now, I haven't heard anything new on this for a while? Hope someone chimes in on a cheaper way to find these of have some mfg new.

Cheers, John.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 pm 

Wow, those coaches really turned out nicely! Could be some of the finest looking former Lackawanna coaches running in my opinion.