It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: GBX Update
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:29 pm 

Any update regarding the Greenbrier Presidential Express (GBX)?

Last I had seen, is that the laid off workers were to be recalled pending Amtrak approval of the modifications to the cars. I also saw that the locomotives are for sale.

Inquiring minds want to know.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

Post subject: Re: GBX Update
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:26 am 

I'm bumping this up to the top again. Since Mr. Rowland is back from Europe, and evidently free to look for engineer's goggles that work at speeds in excess of 130 mph, I figured it would be a good time to ask again for an update on the GBX.

I'm afraid, that this may be the closest we ever get to seeing the GBX in action:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25005

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:44 pm 

Once again, any update on this?

It is looking less and less likely that the Greenbrier Presidential Express will become a reality. If true, that is a shame, as it would have been a great way to showcase the resort.

It is also a shame that so many Amtrak compatible cars had to essentially "die" (gutted) before it was determined that it was not going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:55 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It's obvious the self-proclaimed leader of this project has a functional internet connection, and time enough to post on other threads regarding fantasies of running a high-speed steam run, but apparently no time to reply on this thread.

If this were a car, the police would be sticking the fourth parking ticket and issuing a "tow to the impound yard" order to this abandoned Premise.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 pm 

Or perhaps.... Just perhaps, there is a non disclosure clause (whether verbal or on paper) preventing anyone involved to disclose information at this point other than the "authorized media outlet" for which I'm sure Mr. Justice employes an individual(s) for this purpose.

Loose lips, right Ross???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 pm 

Perhaps we should all mind our own business and leave Ross to his? Also, let's leave the suppositions out, please? Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:55 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
If there's a non-disclosure agreement, the guy who first announced all this stuff could easily say so, and refer us to said agent or spokesman. But seeing as how a particular individual supposedly connected with this project has often come forth with proclamations about said project (and similar ones) in the past, this would represent a significant "muzzling" on their part.

There are other avenues that can be taken as well to update said project--a fresh web site page, a news release, etc. Even just a reference to a filing of court action between contractors/suppliers/etc. and clients.

I think the applicable expression here is "The silence is deafening."

If a certain "wannabe" short line operator suddenly announced plans to re-lay and begin freight and dinner train operations on, say, the original, abandoned Huntington & Broad Top RR or Maryland & Pennsylvania right-of-way in Pennsylvania, given what we have heard of late and the manner in which we have heard it, what would the collective reaction here be?

The same kind of thing is at work here--a pattern of certain behavior showing up again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:09 am 

Or you could try e-mailing the actual sources for information:

Shop at Pottstown -- use the e-mail that was provided if you wanted to schedule a shop tour, look at the progress of the cars, and inquire about the course of compliance with FRA regs...:

mtbaehm@yahoo.com

Official contact at the Greenbrier organization for the train:

lynn_swann@greenbrier.com

RME

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:30 am 

Belive it or not, this isn't an attack on Mr. Rowland. I simply want to know. I find the project to be very interesting.

This project had real money behind it in the form of Mr. Justice, the Greenbrier's owner.

For all practical purposes, Mr. Rowland was the public "face" of the project, making posts on this forum and others, giving interviews, and providing good sound bytes and quotations for use. The project went from being steam powered (Even announcing that they would soon begin a search for another locomotive), to not (CSX doesn't allow steam). Then, work after the project stopped, and Mr. Rowland was more than willing to give interviews, make statements and throw out some red meat that "overregulation" was the culprit and some dastardly government bureaucrats were the villains behind the work stopage. Then, when some serious questions were directed at Mr. Rowland and the project to find out if ithe culprit was really overregulation or just underplanning, it was decreed that a workable solution would be found and that Mr. Rowland would provide us with an update.

Since then, the diesel locomotives purchased for the project have been offered for sale, and the silence about the status of the formerly usable, but now gutted passenger cars is deafening.

Since the "face" of the project is either no longer willing or able to comment about the project, I will take Mr. R.M.E.'s advice and consult with the official sources.

Loose lips do sink ships. That is why most organizations double and triple check their work, make sure their "i"s are dotted and their "t"s are crossed before they make an announcement. Then, there are those who live a bit more recklessly, willing to make announcements and pronouncements. You and your respective organizations should learn from this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:01 pm 

The current Wikipedia entry for the GBX claims the project was canceled in May of 2012.

The resort has also removed the press release regarding the proposed train from its website.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:37 pm 

This IS Wikipedia we're talking here: "[citation needed]"

It appears the edits referencing the project being canceled were made in the past day, but oddly citing a January 2012 Trains article as a source.......... ????

Go back to January in the edits, and someone had written it to say that the loco selected for use was a C&O 2-6-6-6 Allegheny stored in Clifton Forge......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:46 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
This IS Wikipedia we're talking here: "[citation needed]"

It appears the edits referencing the project being canceled were made in the past day, but oddly citing a January 2012 Trains article as a source.......... ????

Go back to January in the edits, and someone had written it to say that the loco selected for use was a C&O 2-6-6-6 Allegheny stored in Clifton Forge......

I did notice that. In looking at the edits, several edits were done today AFTER I made my post here. When I looked at it, it simply said the project was canceled. Afterwards, more information was added suggesting the decision came after a meeting with Jim Justice.

I believe the citation is simply misplaced, based on the edit history. The citation was in the preceding paragraph on previous updates, but is now showing with the "train is canceled" entry.

The IP of the individual making the edits appears to trace to a Verizon account out of North Arlington, NJ. The correction of the edit that you mention above came from Clifton Forge, VA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:25 pm 

The only sure way to never fail is to never try but criticize those who do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:05 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
The only sure way to never fail publicly is to not bombastically announce grandiose plans without more certain wherewithal, logistics, permissions, and progress in place.

You might want to let the California high speed rail project know that...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:43 am 

The GBX project is doing just fine. The equipment in Pottstown is in good shape awaiting the arrival of the new custom interior components so as to commence installation of the new kitchenetts, restrooms,custom woodwork etc.

We will from time to time post progress reports with pics as Kelly so kindly does from the stellar Strasburg shop.

WE have decided to give all but a skeleton security crew a well deserved vacation for the month of August so shop tours will resume after Labor Day.

Due to the nature of the custom interiors we are holding off on an "official" start date but it is a good 9 months off at least.

Folks wishing to do a shop tour should contact my AA Laura Flowers at 610-970-0614 or lbflowers@gmail.com after Labor Day.

AS to Scott's request that ADM4 find a new axe to grind....he's grown rather fond of this one and it's all grist for the hilarious Toid chapter.

Thanks, Ross Rowland

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next