It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CP 4-6-0 in Jim Thorpe
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 1999 2:08 pm 

<P>I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about the 10-wheeler owned by George Hart in Jim Thorpe. My daughter and I stopped there with my Dad last weekend to see it. My Dad told me that they had her steamed up a little while ago, and, the local Jim Thorpe paper ran an article about the steam-up in thier paper.<br>::: My Dad knows the guy who did the tube installation, and, he said they are in need of new flues.Aside from that, the engine looked pretty decent, just in need of some cosmetic work. <br>:::Any info would be greatly appreciated. When I was there, there was noone to talk to about it.They were busy giving train rides with the deisel they have. I left my e-mail address to send me info. Thanks in advance.<br>

Rotarykiln@aol.com

Post subject: Re: CP 4-6-0 in Jim Thorpe
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 1999 5:52 pm 

<P>Did George Hart acquire another CPR ten wheeler? He used to own the 972, which wound up at the Strasburg shops, undergoing heavy repairs. O.Winston Link owned a CPR ten-wheeler in the 400 series, and I have no idea of it's location today. What happened to teh CNR ten-wheeler that used to run at New Hope and Ivyland. She was one of the prettiest little locomotives I ever saw.<br>

aurora7@juno.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 1999 6:55 pm 

<P>This is what I know. The 972 has been at Strasburg for many years. I understand that Strasburg has since taken title to her and will restore her for their use. This will be a long term project. They had the chance to test drive her in the early 80's after they had done some work. They must have liked her...<p>The loco at Jim Thorpe, I think it is the 1072, belongs to Mr. Hart and is stored servicable. <br> The NH&I's 1533 is stored behind their enginehouse and is in very sad shape. This has been the case for years. In fact, the rail she sits on isn't even connected to the railroad. <p>Hope I was of some help.<p>Alan<p><br>

AlanL759@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 1999 10:49 pm 

<P>The 4-6-0 in Jim Thorpe is the ex-Canadian Pacific #1098. It was formerly owned by Steamtown. I believe the locomotive made its way south to Scranton during the mid-1980s. It looked pretty sad when I last saw it in Vermont in 1983. It is a good looking little engine. I am glad to see that it has found a good home. Based upon some stories I have seen on the Internet indicates that the 4-6-0 #972 was finally sold to the Strasburg RR after sitting dismantled for many years at the Stasburg shop. Apparently, the 972 requires major firebox work to the OUTSIDE and inside sheets. The Strasburg plans to replace the firebox with a Belpaire firebox. Should make for an interesting looking locomotive.<br>

hubbard5004@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 3:29 am 

<P>Ya, it's 1098, I remember now. I took a close up look at her, and, alot of work has been done. Maybe she needs some minor running gear work, and, some things. I know my Dad said the last time she was under steam was three years ago. I'm trying to find out what she needs over-all. I would like to help out money-wise, but, I would like to know if they are meeting the new FRA rules and other things, but, every time I go, there is noone around to talk to. Like I said, my Dad knows the guy who installed the tubes, and, his friend knows George Hart pretty good. It's just hard meeting the guys I guess. <br>:::::Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. She really is a good looking engine. It would be nice to see run in the future.<br>

Rotarykiln@aol.com

Post subject: Re: CP 4-6-0 in Jim Thorpe, STRT and NH&I 1533
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 4:49 am 

<P> CPR No. 1098, a class D10h 4-6-0, currently stored serviceable in Jim Thorpe, Pa., is owned by George Hart and was acquired by him in 1986 from the Steamtown Foundation. It was one of about 200 engines set aside by the CPR in 1960 for its subsidized stanby retirement program for steam. Owing to its low mileage (it was overhauled by the CPR at its West Toronto Shops in 1957), it was picked by F. Nelson Blount for addition to his collection in 1961. Hart originally bought the engine with the intent of using it as a parts supply for the 972. In December 1986, Hart's D10h 4-6-0 972 was sent to Strasburg RR for extensive repairs. When it became apparent that the 972 required more work than what Hart could afford, he started work on 1098 in the late 1980's using labor provided by Bill, Chad and Shane Frederickson of Hometown, Pa. (Hart sold 972 to Strasburg RR in December 1995.) 1098 returned to steam in September 1994 and only ran a series of "Fall Foliage" trips out of Jim Thorpe the following month. When the Fredericksons departed, Hart did not have a competent steam mechanic to repair the engine. Bill Sherwood, a former Strasburg RR mechanic, was hired by Hart in late 1995 and performed extensive repairs on the engine until about 1998. It was test-fired on about a half-dozen occasions in 1996 and 1998 but has not seen service on any Rail Tours excursion trains since 1994. Hart currently has the locomotive stored serviceable adjacent to his CNJ turntable in Chunk Yard, which is shared by the freight-hauling Carbon & Schuylkill Railroad. His future plans for the locomotive are uncertain.<br> Incidentally, George Hart (now 81 years old) is also Vice President, Treasurer and General Manager of the Stewartstown RR in southern York County, Pa. Recently the STRT has been running infrequent special excursions and Sunday afternoon trips, on a shoe-string budget. With 70 lbs. rails and tight radius curves reminiscent of the nearby infamous Ma & Pa, it is a gem of a railroad. Typical power is an ex-Coudersport & Port Allegany 44-ton diesel No. 10 and one or two ex-Reading or CNJ steel coaches; the "Mighty Mo," a 35-ton Plymouth, is only used on special excursions when 4-car trains require "pull-pull" operations. The STRT crews are a dedicated bunch who are keeping the railroad going despite hard times with little or no funds. Many of the volunteer crewmen are full-time engineers and brakemen from the nearby Ma & Pa and Yorkrail operations. I urge everyone to buy a ticket and help support the ailing STRT...it is a wonderfully historic remnant of industrial archeology worthy of permanent preservation!<br> New Hope & Ivyland 4-6-0 No. 1533, a 1911 product of the Montreal Locomotive Works built for the Canadian Northern Railway (later Canadian National class H6d) last ran in December 1975. At time it was sidelined, it needed extensive running gear work; later its drivers were turned by U.S. Steel and the engine was placed on blocks (it now rests on its drivers). Many of its parts were removed and in the ensuing years have disappeared from the property. Unfortunately other matters took precedence and work on the 1533 quietly ended in the late 1970's. In the early 1990's the 1533's mechanical condition was evaluated by both NH&I and Strasburg RR mechanical forces, and it was determined that engine could be returned to service without an unreasonable expenditure of time and effort. The boiler was found to be basically sound, and although one of the boiler checks were sloppily torched out of the boiler in the early 1980's, it was believed that a patch could be fitted with little problem. A change in NH&I management in the mid-1990's shelved any hopes of the 1533 returning to service, and the engine still sits behind the NH&I enginehouse in New Hope, Pa., in derelict condition. May she run again someday! <br>

Kurtrbell@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: CP 4-6-0 in Jim Thorpe: Dep't of Corrections!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 5:01 am 

<P>Two facts were in error in regard to my message...CPR 972 is a class D10j (not D10h); and NH&I 1533 had a boiler plug (not check) cut out of her boiler. My apologies!<br>

Kurtrbell@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am 

CPR 1098 - Does anyone have the current status of this locomotive? Thanks - Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:48 pm 

David Notarius wrote:
CPR 1098 - Does anyone have the current status of this locomotive? Thanks - Dave

It was moved else where on the Reading & Northern System,
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2901824

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:30 pm 

As I last saw a couple of years ago, she's sitting in the Port Clinton mini-roundhouse by the old turntable where 2102 and 614 once were...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2117997

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:05 pm 

Shot this when she was running Fall Foliage trips from an overpass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:03 pm 

Who owns it now? Any known plans?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 am 

Owned by Andy Muller and stored at Port Clinton next to the T-1. No current plans for operation. All money is being invested into the 425 as we speak.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 pm 

The last video I saw of 1098 was when they did a test fire in 1996 over in Jim Thorpe. I saw this video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkG81KrQ3aQ