It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1953 GE 44 Ton Locomotive gearbox
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:03 am 

I'm Rebuilding a GE Model GA-33 gearbox and looking for some parts and advice. The manual calls for packing the labyrinth groove with G-E sealing grease (D6A2D). Is there an equivelant grease currently on the market? The manual also calls for refined straight mineral oil without compounds or additives, is this due to the brass axle bearings? Lastly, I'm looking for bearing housings, end play adjuster shims, and new brass axle bearings. Part numbers for bearings are as follows:
6732842G2 Lower 33
6732842G2 Upper 33
6732842G1 Lower 91
6732842G1 Upper 91

Thanks,
Steve Redman
sredman@wmata.com

Post subject: Re: 1953 GE 44 Ton Locomotive gearbox
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 am 

The traditional source for GE industrial loco parts is Logan Corp. in Nitro, WV.

Try Lubriplate (Fiske Bros. Refining ?) for a grease that meets the GE specs.

DPK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm 

This was discussed sometime before on this site, I believe. Standard for packing the gearbox seals are toilet bowl wax seals. They last, they aren't effected by the oil and dirt in the gearbox and the outside, they are flexible enough to withstand the duty under the locomotive, and they are cheap. Some have used "hard grease" as used on steam locomotive rod bearings with good luck too. As for gearbox oil, you are on the right track about the bronze bearings inside and to use to correct oil. Most utilize 90W straight that is formulated for bronze bearings. I do not believe you have a hypoid gear in that box so something that doesn't have "shock" additives should be OK too.

Last time I dealt with Logan regarding gearbox lubricants, they would only refer you to the generic GE manual and say to find the lubricant that meets the specifications. Most any good industrial lubricant supplier can bring the old standards up to date. Remember, in the old days, lubricants were very different than what is available today. Most of the oils today, even the cheaper ones, are far more refined and have more friction-reducing additives than the old stuff. That's not always better, just a fact.

As far as the bearings go, many of those bearings are still available by aftermarket suppliers. A check in the internet should bring up several firms.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:49 am 

For GE diesel loco parts, try Western Star Rail Service, Newark, OH 740-344-3336. They keep a huge stock of almost anything you'd need for the industrial, 44 ton, and 70 ton models.

Pennsylvania Trolley Museum recently reassembled the gearbox of our 25 tonner (essentially the same as the 44 ton) and used the wax of 3 or 4 toilet bowl seals to contain the gearbox oil. We used the readily available 80W90EP gear oil in the box, it takes almost 5 gallons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:22 pm 

For the bearings you need, you may want to check out MillerFelpax. I've worked with their products and the quality seems to be fine. Plus, their pricing is rather good from what I've seen.

Rob