It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S and T Motors in Glenmont NY.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 pm 

Have these been covered in another thread? These ( according to a recent TCA article) are on a abandoned power plant spur off the former D&H. I was curious as to their disposition, if known.

Post subject: Re: S and T Motors in Glenmont NY.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm 

There have been several threads over the years. Here is one: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25118&p=112576&hilit=mohawk+hudson+glenmont#p112576

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 am 

The new TCA (the toy train group) magazine does have several recent pictures of these engines in it - the most current pictures I have seen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 pm 

I got an email from the Berkshire Scenic Railroad a several months ago confirming that they had aquired the two electrics, but had no idea when they would be shipping them to Lenox Mass.
Sadly, right after that, the Housatonic Railroad sidelined the BSRM operation and now they wont be earning funds to pay for the locos to be transported from New York.
It may still happen, but has certainly been delayed.
Perhaps this would be a good time for another group to contact BSRM and attempt to help or take ownership?
I thought this was a strange aquisition for them. This power never ran on any lines local to them. Perhaps New England Railroad Museum would be a better home?

Brian Hebert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:52 pm 

Quite a story of these unit's survival. In spite of a seeming ongoing jinx of detours and funding roadblocks, they remain intact, after a fashion, which seems to me as illustrative of the hurdles all preservation efforts undergo. Maybe this narrative should be titled "Rust Never Sleeps." It seems that for every success story, there are five candidates in the wings, in the weeds. In an ideal world, these would be wonderful displayed at the NYC Museum. Underline "ideal world."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 pm 

What better time to draw attention to saving these two than while our friendly perpetually-broke neighborhood transit authority here in Gotham is currently planning centennial celebrations for the landmark terminal they were built to serve, which have already been announced to include a "Parade of Historic Trains?" (Just so long as they don't hike Metrocards again over the cause ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 pm 

Well, actually, yeah, maybe that would be a good suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 pm 

Ed Kelley wrote:
What better time to draw attention to saving these two than while our friendly perpetually-broke neighborhood transit authority here in Gotham is currently planning centennial celebrations for the landmark terminal they were built to serve, which have already been announced to include a "Parade of Historic Trains?" (Just so long as they don't hike Metrocards again over the cause ;)

Any appropriate individual want to write a letter to NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg (one WEALTHY individual) and explain this situation to him? Maybe we'll have two NYC electrics at GCT in February....right...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 am 

The Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum has recently transferred ownership of the 4 locomotives to another organization with the same intentions: to save the units.

When BSRM acquired ownership, it was at the request of a private individual who intended to help fund the removal for preservation. Simultaneously, it was at a time when our Board of Directors was able to take steps towards developing the "museum" aspect of our organization and begin acquiring historic pieces for static display. The funds from our successful train rides permitted BSRM to contribute to and undertake this daunting project even though the final home for the equipment had not been determined.

However, the Housatonic "Railroad" chose to arbitrarily not renew the operating agreement with MassDOT which permitted us to operate those train rides. Therefore, BSRM has been forced to shift its funds, energy and time to developing the Hoosac Valley Service in joint partnership with MassDOT, Town of Adams and City of North Adams to restore tourist rail service to the Berkshires which will permit BSRM to earn a steady income once more and begin budgeting once again for advanced preservation activities.

The Glenmont Rescue project was and remains complicated, political and terribly expensive. I can assure you that all angles, options and ideas have been attempted and a significant amount of money already spent; including funds to pacify harassing and irrelevant requests from the adjacent property owner. It will take time, money and energy to save those units. We hope by transferring ownership to another organization they will have the needed time and energy to accomplish the project's goal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:20 pm 

[quote="JR Green"]The Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum has recently transferred ownership of the 4 locomotives to another organization with the same intentions: to save the units.
I hope that it is NOT the AHTS in Schenectady who own these. From what I have recently heard, they are barely surviving after years of ms-management almost killed them. They have no money and given the millions it would take to move those as well as the prep work, not to mention the red tape they face with the power plant management. This would not include the many $$$$$ needed to move all the other equipment they are supposed to own. The the question begs.......Where are you going to move it to? They no longer have a museum site or any track they own.
i just hope that it will happen... and the group has the resources to make it happen soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 am 

The ALCO Historical & Technical Society does not own any of these pieces. We are also not involved in moving them. We are not circling the drain as was implied either. I am not even sure how we got brought into this.

What gives John? Thought we moved past all of this?

Matt Giardino
President, AHTS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:00 pm 

traingeek8223 wrote:
The ALCO Historical & Technical Society does not own any of these pieces. We are also not involved in moving them. We are not circling the drain as was implied either. I am not even sure how we got brought into this.

What gives John? Thought we moved past all of this?

Matt Giardino
President, AHTS

I am glad that the AHTS is not involved. As far as circling the drain, let's be honest. The group has had very little money for anything...You told me yourself. Lets not paint a pretty picture of well being for the group until it is true. It will not do the groups reputation any good. You guys have had serious problems which I hope are past now. I was told by a well respected member that the group was barely alive after what happened involving another member (names omitted on purpose)None of this crap would have been allowed if i was running the group.
Lets ask a simple question here: Where is the money to move the equipment in Colonie? I bet there is none! Or very little.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 pm 

If you have an issue with someone this isn't the place to discuss it. Could we get back on track to talking about the motors?
Regarding getting the motors out all it requires is cubic money. Engineers enjoy being told that a project can't be done, that just makes it more challenging. If the power plant would allow, bring in the excavators and carve a notch in the 30 ft deep fill, lay tracks and drag the motors out. Remember in England where part of the abandoned route had been filled in deeper than that as a trash landfill? It was dug out, ballast and ties and track put in and is now part of the rebuilt steam tourist line. It can be done.
Whatever happened to the American "Can Do" attitude?

Alan W.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:38 pm 

It's really nothing but getting a powerful enough sponsor to run interference with any landowner in the way, followed by a semi-large rigging job. The Sphinx was moved fer cryin out loud..........a couple locomotives are nothing in comparison.

dave