It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4501 Update 12-31-12
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 pm 

Now that the UP 4000 talk has subsided, I'll bore you guys with another 4501 update.

Boiler - All the corner pieces are welded in and are ready for mud ring rivets and staybolts. Many backhead fittings have been applied including the throttle stuffing box, water column, and fire door. We still have some bolts to drive on the exterior and finish out the weld to the new flush patch.

Running Gear - The new roller bearing equipped wheelset for the lead truck has been orderd. The driving boxes are being readied for crown brass, hub liners, and babitting. All eight have been repaired and reslotted. We expect to remove the lead and trailing trucks within the next two weeks and begin overhaul of those. We are going to fit the traling truck with a roller bearing wheelset as well. Machining on the 1, 2 and 4 driving wheels is complete. The new crank pins for the main are expected in the next few days. The rods will be sent out next week for check of centers and potential boring of rod eyes.

Tender - Piping is being added to allow for MU connections at the rear of the tender. This is the last of the required tender modifications.

I've included a few pictures to increase the boredom.

Revision 1 - I deleted the poll from this thread since it wasn't working.

Attachments:
File comment: Rear of the boiler showing the fittings now installed.
Boiler Rear.jpg
Boiler Rear.jpg [ 89.98 KiB | Viewed 11010 times ]
File comment: Front of the boiler showing the pilot removed to allow for lifting and removal of the lead truck
Boiler Front - Minus Pilot.jpg
Boiler Front - Minus Pilot.jpg [ 85.59 KiB | Viewed 11010 times ]
File comment: 4 of the eight driving boxes after having the radius recut on the slotter
Driving Boxes After Slotting.jpg
Driving Boxes After Slotting.jpg [ 68.51 KiB | Viewed 11010 times ]

Last edited by gmray on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 4501 Update 12-31-12
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 pm 

Option 4: it doesn't matter, Mark, she'll be exceptional in any livery.

dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:39 pm 

gmray wrote:
Now that the UP 4000 talk has subsided, I'll bore you guys with another 4501 update.

Boiler - All the corner pieces are welded in and are ready for mud rivets and staybolts. Many backhead fittings have been applied including the throttle stuffing box, water column, and fire door. We still have some bolts to drive on the exterior and finish out the weld to the new flush patch.

Running Gear - The new roller bearing equipped wheelset for the lead truck has been orderd. The driving boxes are being readied for crown brass, hub liners, and babitting. All eight have been repaired and reslotted. We expect to remove he lead and trailing trucks within the next two weeks and begin overhaul of those. We are going to fit the traling truck with a roller bearing wheelset as well. Machining on the 1, 2 and 4 driving wheels is complete. The new crank pins for the main are expected in the next few days. The rods will be sent out next week for check of centers and potential boring of rod eyes.

Tender - Piping is being added to allow for MU connections at the rear of the tender. This is the last of the required tender modifications.

I've included a few pictures to increase the boredom.

Mark -

The third option is an interesting one, although I can't really see that happening. I would vote for option one (I couldn't use the form for some reason), but I agree that however it is painted is fine with me.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 pm 

I should have added that this is non-scientific poll.

I have no idea what color she will be. I do have my preference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:20 pm 

Hm, the poll doesn't like me.

I know she's correct as delivered in black, but darn, that green looks so nice on her. That said, she could be purple with green polka dots and as long as she's in steam it's a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:03 pm 

I vote for "Green Gold & Immortal."

Is it original? Of course not, but you can make an argument she wore SR green for a signficant period of time over the most significant portion of her life (by this I mean her freight service was relatively indistinguished, but EVERYONE knows what she meant to the steam revival). You can also make the argument that she is green because she IS a passenger engine now.

Plus, you already have a black Southern beauty in #630.

Along with ET&WNC #12, the green 4501 blasting thru my hometown and riding behind her to Asheville, NC thru the famed loops are some of my most favorite memories.

Green, Gold, & Immortal.

Matt Bumgarner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:25 pm 

Any idea why the poll does not work (register a "vote") ? Same thing happened on the last poll that was offered. And I see that other have that problem...

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:36 am 

Thanks for the boring update. Happy New Year and keep us posted.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:16 am 

Green & gold please.

1) SR freight black is already represented by 630 and 401.

2) She wore green & gold under SR auspices so any argument that it is not authentic is bunk.

3) Unless someone creates a PS4 via kitbashing (not anytime soon) there will never be another chance for SR passenger livery.

4) She wore those colors under Claytor, Purdie, Bistline, and Merriman, men who pined for the SR steam of their youth. They chose green & gold and I think they chose well.

5) "Never mind that a Southern freight engine had never before worn green paint. Label 4501's color unique or unprecedented, but not unauthentic. No. 4501 wore green with the corporate blessing of the Southern. That was good enough for me. She had a role to play in SR territory -- a role 1450 miles long -- and she could no more fulfill it in black than a zebra can be a zebra without his stripes. "-- David P. Morgan, Locomotive 4501 p.47.

6) Nostalgia for the old steam program is now more likely than those who knew SR steam prior to 1953.

7) This is the most important reason. If for some unknown reason, a 2-8-2 had been assigned to hold down a regular passenger assignment, SR would have painted her green and gold. One presumes that is why she wore green & gold in the steam program.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:59 pm 

Thanks for the update as well. . .

I would normally have said, "SR freight black," but Steve's arguments say to me, go with the green. . .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:48 pm 

Steve: Southern Railway 2-8-2's were used in passenger service! The Ms-4 class was used during WWII for occasional passenger service. Unfortunately they remained in their black paint scheme. By this point I have supported both color schemes. I guess in the end I just want to see her steam! In truth who really cares whether its green or black! Just as long as it is restored and barreling down the ROW I will be happy!

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:31 pm 

I stand corrected but only partly since it was not a regular assignment.

I am not opposed to going back to the freight black after a few years. While likewise, nothing prevents going green at some future date in all likelihood right now (the very near future) is the best chance ever for SR green & gold.

No fan has a right to demand anything and I am certainly not. I am most appreciative to those who are making this happen, whatever the color. We've waited years to see her run again. But wow...in green and gold would truly be a dream come true.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 am 

I'd just like to add my thanks for the update. I live for these reports. Keep 'em coming. Oh, as for a color scheme, how about an interpretive paint job, one side green and the other black (he he he).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:33 am 

I'm hoping for Green and Gold.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:10 pm 

I'd vote for black with the SR's Princeton (Indiana) Shops-style bell and handrail configuration. However, I realize that probably makes me seem a bit weird.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."