It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: B$LE 643
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 am 

Is there anything new on the engines disposition? It would be nice to see it moved under roof.

Traincrew

Post subject: Re: B$LE 643
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 am 

This is one of the taboo locomotives to discuss here. The last thread on this loco was locked. Search the archives. Nothing has changed since that thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:11 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I wouldn't say it's "taboo," but discussing it is somewhat of a pointless exercise unless/until someone has news to the effect of "The XY&K Railroad just bought it for preservation and are laying rail to get it out of there...."

Which, at the time, no one has.

[crickets chirping... again...]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 am 

Sandy is correct. Discussion is fine but there are a number of topics that have been around and around enough times to roll a train from New York to Chicago and continuing to do so makes a lot of extra work for moderators and generally lowers the level of content for everyone.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:47 pm 

Cliff notes; 643 was "shopped" shortly before the new boiler regs came into effect but documentation was poor so she effectively needs a full tear down to be able to run, probably a few other small issues as well but she is far from a basket case. A well heeled gentleman wanted to purchase her and gift the loco to Steamtown but the deal fell through. She waits for someone to meet her asking price.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:45 pm 

in the other thread someone posted the engine was being looked over and the possibility of running it on the former B&LE trackage, which is perfect for this engine, it would be on home rails, with the Pittsburgh history in interest, and I was satisfied with that ones response, as far as I can tell the engine is not forgotten, there is a close knit group helping it with the owner.

On one trip 765 touted its whistle.

Give it time something could happen, in the mean time we wait.

The engine is in very good shape, as noted it may have to be respeced to new boiler rules.

It would help if the owner set up a donation fund for its work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm 

AS has previously discussed at length the current owner has said no to the only viable possible deal that has surfaced in the last decade several years ago. Since then the switch connecting it to the outside world has been removed and it is now land locked.

The sad probability is that it will most likely end up being scraped where it is.

Sad but true.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 pm 

Ross, that is a little over dramatic, don't you think? The owner does care about the engine but he also has a price in his head. I don't see her being scrapped any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Ross, why the hell must you be such a "Nattering Nabob of Negativity"? It's this negativity that drives people away from this forum!!!! Come on, bring on a 'can-do' attitude and think POSITIVE thoughts!

Sorry, just thought I'd beat the others to the obviously-coming-soon punch.

Oh, WAIT A MINUTE.........

Quote:
The sad probability is that it will most likely end up being scraped where it is.

Aha. He didn't say "scrapped." He said "scraped." Probably in preparation for a paint job? Cute trickery, there.

>;-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Cliff notes; 643 was "shopped" shortly before the new boiler regs came into effect but documentation was poor so she effectively needs a full tear down to be able to run, probably a few other small issues as well but she is far from a basket case. A well heeled gentleman wanted to purchase her and gift the loco to Steamtown but the deal fell through. She waits for someone to meet her asking price.

We run the 643's whistle for a trip on the CVSR in 2010. I was firing the engine and made sure the whistle got a good work out as it was mounted on the fireman's side of the cab. Here is what it sounded like....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0XB5YFTWw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Ross, that is a little over dramatic, don't you think?

Mr. Rowland is NEVER over-dramatic or dramatic. He never makes overstatements.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm 

We almost a good discussion.

Anyway, I for one would like to know the actual monetary value the Guy is asking. Anyone have this figure?

-R. F. Hanks
Swindon Locomotive Works
March 18, 1960

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 pm 

I would hope there is enough interest to prevent the locomotive from being cut up as scrap, however there are two that I fear for in the immediate future. 643 is one of them, the other is RDG 2100. Still, giving in to desperation, shivering in fear and moaning like hand wringing dolts will get nothing done. Sadly, both locomotives are private property, owned by fools. We can only wait until there is some kind of responsible movement on their parts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:34 pm 

I have talked with Jacobson in the past, he said he had offered up to 1/4mil to glen cambell....the guy won't sell. I have also, recently, spoken with the land owner who had actually believed that no one wants the thing and that there is simply nowhere for it to go. He now knows otherwise, perhaps that will force glen's hand into selling.

Moving it out of there would not be much of a challenge really, have a look at the map. Some temporary track and it's onto a former Jacobson line..... temp switch, wouldn't even have to break the rail. The locomotive could easily be towed out of there and over to Jacobson's roundhouse. Realistically, it would not be terribly difficult to do an impromptu 1472 on the spot......assuming that time has not done to much damage to the exterior of the boiler, journals, pins, etc. Obviously a preliminary inspection would be in order BY SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT.

Such an endeavor would have to be based on FACT versus the opinions of those with good intentions.....No room for CONJECTURE!

Cheers, Jason

Attachments:
643map.JPG
643map.JPG [ 268.12 KiB | Viewed 9311 times ]

Last edited by jasonsobczynski on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:43 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
A well heeled gentleman wanted to purchase her and gift the loco to Steamtown but the deal fell through.

Hmmm. I wonder if I was that well-heeled gentleman?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next