It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strasburg to Repair, Use LIRR G5s 39; Fundraising Announced
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 pm 

The original topic has been moved to the Railfanning forum, where those of you who are so inclined may continue with the whining, complaining and snark that came to dominate the topic. If you wish to discuss the 39 in terms of preservation, operation, etc. This is the place to do it. Politely. And without political overtones, if you will.

Post subject: Re: Strasburg to Repair, Use LIRR G5s 39; Fundraising Announ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:22 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Posted the morning of March 16th to the Facebook page of the Railroad Museum of Long Island:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm 

A million dollars is a lot but worth it to see the end result: a living, breathing steam locomotive. I've been wanting to see a G-5 operate and maybe I'll get to see one. Now I need my checkbook to help out the cause... Good luck to all involved. Bret

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm 

Hi Guys; Back to my original LIRR 39 question, what are the boiler issues with LIRR 39, and all of the other ex PRR locomotives (including the boiler of the Altoona Museum’s K4). I believe there is a problem with the PRR boilers design that is not considered safe with current boiler codes and standards? Exactly what needs to be done to fire box and boiler shell to bring the G5 up to current operating codes? Would it be more cost effective to build a new/re-designed boiler up to current ASTM/ASME standards, then cut and weld a few tons of new steel into the 80-something -year old one? Also, what is the current status of LIRR G5 35? Have fun everyone, and let’s keep RYPN free of unnecessary finger pointing (your choice of which finger) David Notarius, London UK, ex New Hope Pa.

Ps, to quote Ross Roland speaking to a bunch of BR&W volunteers (including me) one Sunday afternoon back in 1975, “… what if, are the two words that most railfan dreams, nightmares and most rumours start with…”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:15 pm 

I believe the problem has been explained by better qualified individuals on a couple of occasions, but here's my understanding:

Essentially the original boiler design used extended stays, which protruded through the firebox wrapper and were nutted to reduce the load on the wrapper. The wrapper was marginal on thickness, but I suppose the assumption was that it wouldn't be likely to corrode much.

Some time around the 40s, the nuts were eliminated, which had the effect of making either the wrapper too thin for the load, or the stay spacing too great - hence the problem with these boilers not being able to be certified.

The 'easy' solution is to make a new top wrapper for the firebox in thicker plate, and that has indeed been done for 39. Once that's done, the boiler meets code.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:18 pm 

Brought over from the now "railfanning" thread.

Regarding the questions posted having to do with Pennsy boiler design, repairs and alterations, answers are to be found in the following threads, including the post mortem on #1361, which I added only for the background on PRR boiler design that it offers. Now let’s all play nice…

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27305&p=124631&hilit=roof#p124631

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26913&p=121725&hilit=roof#p121725

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23495&hilit=roof

The new roof sheet was just about ready to go on #39's boiler when the previous funding well dried up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm 

39 was supposed to have been converted to oil firing for operation in NY. Since the plan is to operate in PA for such a long time, will it remain a coal burner?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:30 am 

Good evening Dan,

#39 will remain a COAL burning locomotive.

Don Fisher, President
Railroad Museum of Long Island

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:15 am 

I'm still curious as to which party will be responsible for funding the 1472-day inspections. There's at least three overhauls in 39's future on the Strasburg, so who's writing the checks?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 am 

daylight 4449, good morning,

Straburg is responsible for all FRA inspections and maintenance during the term of the lease. By the end of this week, once I have had a chance to rattle the Web Gods, the Agreement and Lease will be available on the RMLI Website, Documents Page.

Don Fisher, President
Railroad Museum of Long Island

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am 

I find it humorous that all PRR steam locomotives that have turned a wheel under their own steam on SRC rails were/are under a some form of lease. Regardless, it'll be nice to once again see a shouldered boiler in active service while under the care and direction of those whom without a doubt are the knowledge-base for anything PRR related.

Best,
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I would suggest that as soon as you find a PRR or PRR-derived steamer that is:

1) at least theoretically available for purchase and not long-term lease; and
2) fits the needs of the Strasburg RR...

... that the Strasburg RR would be extremely quick to close a deal.

Unfortunately for the PRR enthusiasts, the "down side" of the presence of the RR Museum of Pa. holding a vast PRR collection is that 1) the number of steamers in the first category (willing to lease in a modern-day museum methodology) is extremely small compared to, say, the Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, UP, etc. (off the top of my head, I can count an I1sa, a B4a, and maybe an 0-10-0T if someone were bribed or extorted); and 2) the second condition reduces it to ZERO.

Look, we Pennsy guys still have it better in some respects than the NYC guys.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 am 

Does 39 have power or manual reverse?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:13 pm 

Power reverse, no stoker, no FWH.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 pm 

Howard P. wrote:
Power reverse, no stoker, no FWH.

Howard P.

The way it was meant to be!

Seriously, the G5s were quite the beast of a 4-6-0, should have plenty of power for Strasburg's needs.

This will be an interesting project to watch, especially from a technological point of view.

David M. Wilkins
Hippo, MO

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."