It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Erie Doodlebug at the Ohio Railway Museum
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:25 pm
Posts: 1806
Quote:
Anybody know the status of the CNS&M interurban?


There are interior photos of this car, either here in an earlier Ohio Railway Museum thread, or on the Ozark website. From what I recall there are one or more sections where the roof has rotted through.

Wesley


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erie Doodlebug at the Ohio Railway Museum
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 8354
Location: Baltimore, MD
robertmacdowell wrote:
I didn't see a stitch of "worse" there, least, not from him. He really is gracious in how he covers these organizations.


My own version of "worse" is simply critical self-examination. What HIS camera shows is exactly how it will look to Joe Tourist and his wife and kids. And he'll point his camera at the "back 40" where you may be furtively trying to hide some derelict piece, that expired Porta-John, whatever.

Guenzler's schtick is "quantity over quality"--a shot of every piece he can get at--and shots of the line. Go all the way through one of his photo essays, and you'll get a sense you've already been there. If he shows shot after seemingly identical shot of the right of way, you may determine it's a boring-as-heck ride, with few or no "distractions." If the musician shows up for a sing-along or the train robbers show up, he'll show them, too.

To his credit he's not trying to make any place look bad. But it would behoove any general manager or officer of a group to go over any essay he does of their place and read it like a Yelp or Facebook review by someone who is "on your side" and cares, not just looking for bragging rights.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erie Doodlebug at the Ohio Railway Museum
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:38 am 

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Posts: 390
Location: Bowie, MD
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
If you ever want a "warts and all" look at any tourist operation or rail museum, for better or worse, Chris Guenzler's travelogues at Trainweb are a great place to start. Here, for example, is a very recent visit to the Ohio Railway Museum:

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/ohiotr.html



Not a bad view of the place if you can't get there personally. FYI, the car listed as Toronto Street Railway Car 501 is Columbus Delaware & Marion 501 (Parlor car).

Bob


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erie Doodlebug at the Ohio Railway Museum
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:15 pm 

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:01 am
Posts: 55
How very, very sad.
Lee Carlson


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erie Doodlebug at the Ohio Railway Museum
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:39 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2438
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
wesp wrote:
Quote:
Anybody know the status of the CNS&M interurban?


There are interior photos of this car, either here in an earlier Ohio Railway Museum thread, or on the Ozark website. From what I recall there are one or more sections where the roof has rotted through.

Wesley


I thought the North Shore car was sold, to the largest private railway museum you'll never get to visit, in the UP of Michigan.

_________________
--
David M. Wilkins

"They Love Him for the Enemies He Has Made!"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erie Doodlebug at the Ohio Railway Museum
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:02 am 

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:46 am
Posts: 2447
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
robertmacdowell wrote:
I didn't see a stitch of "worse" there, least, not from him. He really is gracious in how he covers these organizations.


My own version of "worse" is simply critical self-examination.

What's worse about that? I'll tell you worse... NOT critically self-examining.
Resting on laurels while ignoring the enormous, neglected steam engine right out front that is every visitor's first impression.

Self-examination will uncover those flaws, which you'll then fix because you realize them. Like when Steamtown painted their Big Boy.


Quote:
What HIS camera shows is exactly how it will look to Joe Tourist and his wife and kids. And he'll point his camera at the "back 40" where you may be furtively trying to hide some derelict piece, that expired Porta-John, whatever.

Guenzler's schtick is "quantity over quality"--a shot of every piece he can get at--and shots of the line.

Right. He's not curating (much) perhaps because he realizes that he can't curate it for you, because he doesn't know what you want. Too many photo-essayists put themselves in the business of deciding for you what you want to see, and so they miss the good stuff.

Quote:
To his credit he's not trying to make any place look bad. But it would behoove any general manager or officer of a group to go over any essay he does of their place and read it like a Yelp or Facebook review by someone who is "on your side" and cares, not just looking for bragging rights.

His joy is infectious. Without fail I am left with a higher opinion of a place than I had before.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], hamster, Lincoln Penn and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: