It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Western 75 status?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:59 am 

Posting the pictures of 51 made me wonder what's going on with Heber Valley's Great Western 2-8-0 #75. Anybody know? Last I remember hearing the work was done but it still needed to be put back together. Any current info is appreciated! thanks!

Post subject: Re: Great Western 75 status?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:05 am 

I was there about a week ago but it was Sunday and the shop was closed up. There were cut sections of #75's smokebox and firebox wrapper sheet (I think) on the ground outside. Last time I looked inside the shop (also on a Sunday) was about a year ago and a couple of guys were working hard on the stripped-down boiler upside-down. I really don't think it's near completion though.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm 

Thanks for the insight Dave! I believe those parts of the wrapper sheet and smokebox you saw were her originals and therefore have been replaced. Part of her restoration was putting the smokebox back to factory length, Great Western Extended them. Not sure why Heber Valley didn't want to keep the extension but oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:54 pm 

The engine is still a year or more from being done, as told to me by a good friend who is in charge of the project. They are converting the engine to burn oil, which is minor in the scope of the overhaul, but that may be a part of the decision to shorten the smokebox back to the original length.

Scott Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the update Scott!! May I ask will UP 618 be coverted as well come time for her turn in the shop? Or is it just because of the smokebox extension removal on 75?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 pm 

No the conversion is simply a matter of practicality. Oil is basically easier all around, and probably cheaper. My source tells me that eventually when the 618 is gone through the plan will be to keep it as a coal-burner, which is good because I've always wanted to learn how to shovel coal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:56 pm 

Well I like oil burners more then coal ;) Thank you very much for the insight!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm 

When I was up there last October, this was her condition. The cab is sitting crosswise o the frame.

Attachments:
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg [ 893.43 KiB | Viewed 7867 times ]

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:13 pm 

Dang! Thanks for the photo David! Wasn't she also getting a new tender frame? Or tank, either or.