It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rumor: Tioga Central to scrap 3 RS-1's?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 am 

A post on Trainorders claims the Tioga Central is preparing to scrap three Alcos.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3119970

The post misindentifes the class of one of them. Apparently this list inckudes ex NYS&W #240 and two ex Washington Terminal units.

Anyone here have insight into the veracity of this rumor?

If true, this news plus the A&M EMD news may mean a lot of Alcos face a dicey future this year.

Rob

Post subject: Re: Rumor: Tioga Central to scrap 3 RS-1's?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 am 

240 has a cracked block, but at one point another engine or perhaps just the lower block was on hand, it just never got changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 pm 

Judging from recent movement and past similar actions, local observers believe three RS units at the Morgantown, MD, power plant may soon be scrapped. At least one is an RS1.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:26 pm 

The Alco RS1 locomotives at Morgantown, Md. have been out of service for some time. The last unit had a crankcase explosion as the result of a spun rod bearing. Two of the locomotives are ex-Washington Terminal units, the third is unknown and was just purchased for parts.

The scrapping process has already started on the locomotives. Some parts are being harvested from the locomotives to keep oth539 powered locomotives running.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:56 pm 

Could anyone intimate with this line PM the contact info for the person to contac or at least get it from the guy on Train Orders that claims to have that info?
I don't have a TO account.
Thanks

-R. F. Hanks
Swindon Locomotive Works
March 18, 1960

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 am 

Out of pure curiousity, I wonder how many of Washington Terminal's once extensive fleet of RS-1's are still around? I enjoyed a lively ride behind the 62 at Tioga Central in 2006.

Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Add to the WT survivor list (but not for long, at the rate things are seemingly going) the derelict remains of 59 currently behind the former P-RSL station in Salem, NJ. It's been discussed on this forum before, apparently still owned by the party that owns the ex-WT fleet at the Tioga Central.

I think scrapping some of the fleet is a crying shame, too, but the brutal reality is that absent sources of spares, steady employment, or a "sugar daddy" or several who wants them as a plaything or trophy, some of the fleet will have to be sacrificed to ensure the preservation of the rest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm 

I believe it was WTC number 61 that was still at the Virginia Power plant at Possum Point as recently as five years ago. The plant was converted from coal a couple of years before that, but the plant Alco remained there. Anyone know if it is still there, or if not what happened to it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
PaulWWoodring wrote:
I believe it was WTC number 61 that was still at the Virginia Power plant at Possum Point as recently as five years ago. The plant was converted from coal a couple of years before that, but the plant Alco remained there. Anyone know if it is still there, or if not what happened to it?

Current Google and Bing aerial/Bird's Eye Views show what sure looks like it, off on a siding next to the southernmost cooling tower: http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/phot ... 322847.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 pm 

Previous thread on this topic, with more info:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19292

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 am 

From what I heard Tioga 47 needed friction bearing work and why it was pulled from service. Supposedly was in good condition otherwise.

I have no info on the condition of 62 and it was running until recently.

With friction bearings and the lack of alignment control couplers doesn't look like a chance of these engines getting moved anywhere. Could possibly buy or borrow roller bearing trucks to swap for a move but not sure how the coupler issue would be with the railroads that would move them depending on destination.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am 

WT 50 still exists here in CT, OOS due to a failed turbo.

WT 50 is one of 3 RS-1's on the Central New England. There is also New Haven 670 (needing engine work) and ex-Cape Cod 30 (originally Genesse and Wyoming 30 (1976))

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 pm 

Does anyone have an update on the MD Alcos?

John Mech reports that all the Alcos are for sale now on the Wellsboro & Corning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:48 pm 

thebigham wrote:
Does anyone have an update on the MD Alcos?

John Mech reports that all the Alcos are for sale now on the Wellsboro & Corning.

I saw a photo yesterday of the MD alcos being cut up last week. They might already be gone at this point.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 am 

Where did you see the photos?