It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Bucket Lists
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 pm 

I am taking a moment to enjoy a dip into the Big Boy foam. I have to admit that seeing a Big Boy run has been at the top of my steam bucket list... well maybe it was number two until I got to ride behind steam over Horseshoe Curve. Looking at realistic options (not finding an O&W Dickson hog in a shed up the Eynon) what would be the rest of my steam bucket list?

It would probably go like this... in no particular order

Ride behind an operating Big Boy
Ride behind B&M #3713 back in steam
A NKP Berk meet up with at least 3 under steam incl NKP #759
Ride behind PRR #1361 on the NY&LB
Ride the John Bull
Photo frieght with CNJ #113 in an ex CNJ yard
A gathering of all 3 remaining camelbacks... and then a gallop down the PRSL behind CNJ #592
Ride behind the last B&M 2-6-0 on any of the surviving B&M branches
Photo freight on Tehachapi Loop with steam (you pick the engine)

A few of these are likely... and a few not so much...

Rob

Post subject: Re: Steam Bucket Lists
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:22 pm 

For me...

Ride behind 844/3985/4014
Visit the Cumbres & Toltec
Visit the Durango & Silverton
Visit Railtown 1897
Ride behind ATSF 3751
Ride behind MLW 261
Visit the Valley Railroad
Visit Cass Scenic Railroad
Visit Illinois Railroad Museum once they get steam up and running
Ride behind 4449/700
Visit the steam in Great Britain
Ride behind 611
Ride behind 4501
Ride behind RBMN 425
Ride behind LIRR 39 hen completed
Visit Steam Into History
Ride behind PM 1225
Run PRR 643 at Williams Grove, PA
Visit Fillmore & Western
Visit Roaring Camp Big Trees & Pacific
Visit the Main Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum when they're running steam
Visit the Nevada Northern

On a slightly related note,
Things I'd like to see happen (no matter how unlikely)...
A steam excursion on the Northeast Corridor
1361 back in steam
1218 back in steam
1522 back in steam
819 back in steam
A replica NYC Hudson built
PRR 1223 and 7002 back in steam
NYC 3001 restored
MEC 470 restored
Any RDG T-1 restored to operation
Any steam on CSX
2816 brought back
EBT return to service
Steam excursion on the Lackawanna Cutoff

I know a lot of these are very unlikely, but you never know and hey I can dream can't I?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 pm 

"Any steam on CSX"

Your last chance for steam on CSX vaporized when the Capitol Limited went from steam heat to HEP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:05 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
wm303 wrote:
"Any steam on CSX"

Your last chance for steam on CSX vaporized when the Capitol Limited went from steam heat to HEP

I'll remind you that I had top Conrail and NS officials telling me for a decade or two that I was never going to see steam on the Horse Shoe Curve again, at least not without it being towed by diesels.

And I've had guys who work in railroad engineering and track geometry outline all the reasons why, although you COULD get a Big Boy running out of Cheyenne, it simply was impractical to restore a Big Boy for something that has such a limited "route availability," as the British term goes.

I agree that's where we stand NOW................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:03 am 

I was at that 1987 NRHS trip...and the sound was awesome. I chased the 611/1218 many times and rode behind them a bunch...what great memories. For me seeing the 4014 under steam will be the crowning moment...but I certainly would love to see that triple header....844, 3985 and the 4014...I can't even begin to imagine it.

The Norfolk & Western...home of the A's,Y's,M's,K's and the Mighty J's....well done Roanoke....well done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 am 

Okay, thought I'd chime in:

Steam I Have Done:

Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad (triple header with the Willamette-WOW)
Chehalis-Centralia Railroad
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic

Steam I Have Seen:

SP&S #700 (National Train Day 2013 @ Portland Union Station)
Illinois Railway Museum (not running; a very brief visit-"I'll be back!")
Northwest Railway Museum (not running)
California State Railroad Museum (not running)
Manatou Springs & Pike's Peak (not running)
Durango & Silverton (saw the trains, just didn't ride 'em)
Colorado Railroad Museum (not running)
Georgetown Loop (caught a glimpse)
GN #3059
CB&Q #3003
Alaska RR #557 (when it was still on display in Moses Lake)
D&RGW #278

Steam I Have Not Done:

SP #4449*
UP #844*, #3985 (now I'll have #4014 to see as well!)
AT&SF #3751
AT&SF #2926 (just a few more years to go!)
Strasburg Rail Road
NKP #765
SOU #4501 (I'm impressed with the work TVRM is doing-amazing)
N&W #611 (I have no doubt VMT will be successful with their fundraising efforts)
Nevada Northern
Sumpter Valley Railroad
PM #1225 (sounds like they're getting close!)
Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad
SP #2472

This list could be longer, but I was trying to be reasonable (for the time being)

*I seem to have the worst timing. Missed out entirely on the double header up here several years back, and then I was out of town for the NRHS convention in Tacoma and the trip up Stampede Pass. And to top it all off, my busy schedule prevented me from going down to the Gorge for her last jaunt. The Daylight truly has been elusive. But just wait--as soon as she's back out on the high iron, I'll be there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:35 pm 

I'll do my best to ride behind the Big Boy and 611 if they both get out on the mainline again. My bucket list is mostly checked off. I still go out of my way for steam and I'm a supporter of the 21st Century Steam program. However, after riding in the cab, firing, and running double-headed 2-10-2s on the mainline over JingPeng, the restored stuff just does not get me as excited as it used to. I think this is because what's left on the mainline is mostly watered down, I still buy tickets and support whatever I can but it's just not the same.

Here is my list of the best of the best of my steam experiences. Other than a a Big Boy I don't know what's left. I hate to say it but I don't know that I will top these.

Riding 80+MPH behind both 611 & 614 on the mainline.
Firing a 4-4-0 on the Northeast Corridor
Riding in the cab and on the roof of a "Flying 15" in Zimbabwe
Night-time cab ride at Pingdingshan
Chasing 2012 pulling a loaded coal train
Riding behind a Black 5 with a heavy train
Riding in the cab of a 19th class pulling a heavy train of copper ore in Botswana
Riding the "Pig Train" in China

And the "Silver Tuna". Firing and running double-headed 2-10-2s over JingPeng Pass while passing other double-headers at every passing siding.

Not to brag but I just don't know that I can top the this stuff. Maybe a high speed run behind an A-4 class?

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:30 pm 

Oops! I forgot to include MILW #261.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:41 pm 

I've ridden behind steam in four different gauges: Edaville (2 foot), Puffing Billy (near Melbourne Australia, 2' 6"), Cumbres & Toltec and Manx Railways (one of those trips behind a steamer running on the Manx Electric line)(3 foot), and ATSF 3751, SP 4449 and CP 2860 (standard gauge main line). Still looking forward to the Poway Midland (3' 6") north of San Diego. Full disclosure: My #1 interest is electric railways, but anything from horse trams to UP articulateds, and from Birney streetcars to SD 70s is fair game. My wife and I were considering a trip to the Pacific Northwest in our motor home, but I want to be in the area for the UP 4014 move.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 am 

I guess I can't complain much. I've ridden behind most of the 'gee whiz' steam locomotived that have operated in my lifetime. I even got a short cab ride in one of the verty last comercial steam locomotives operating in the US (North American Rayon Porter fireless 0-6-0 at Elizabethton, TN).
I am just one RR short of my lifetime goal of riding every narrow gauge railroad in the US (yes, including Hawaii and Alaska).
I started to do a list of all the steam I've ridden behind but I can say with some degree of gloating that I couldn't possibly think of them all. And for just the engines I've seen cold? Man, there's simply no way I could list all of those, been checking out cold steam since I was a kid! I'm evebn going back to see stuff from my youth, will be going to check out the General in Kennesaw GA next month as I hadn't seen it since the 80s...
Many times I've said that if I step in front of a bus tomorrow, I go with very few regrets for things I haven't seen, been to, or done. I've seen too many people go way before their time and decided several years back that I'm going to get all out of life that I can while I'm still around because you just never know when that last day will roll around...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 am 

Don’t have a huge list. The 4014 is on top right now. I volunteered on the New GA 87-89 so I got to work on both S&A 750 and A&WP 290.

Steam I’ve ridden:
SOU 630, 722, 4501
S&A 750
A&WP 290
SP 4449
TP 610
CP 2839
C&O 2716
NKP 765
SFSF 1522
N&W 611, 1218
UP 844
D&RGW 473, 476, 484, 487
HARTWELL 11 (EX READER RR)
STONE MOUNTAIN SCENIC TEXAS II, GENERAL II
TVRM 610

That leaves and there are others can't think of:
PRR 1361 if ever running again
SF 3751
SF 3463 if the experimental rebuild gets finished
CMStP&P 261
UP 3985 may have missed the chance but never say never
RGS #20
D&RGW 223 if it ever gets finished
SP&S 700

And when that eccentric billionaire builds it:
NYC J-3 4-6-4 ~ Never say never. (Exhibit A UP 4014 who would have thought) certainly more likely than 1401 :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am 

I've done most of the things on my bucket list. Highlights would be riding the 60 cm gauge Baldwin 010-0s in Yunnan, China back in 1989 & multiple visits to the Esquel line in Argentina. Of steam still available, I would love to finally get to Colombia for the 3' gauge steam, and the Welsh Highland & Isle of Mann in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm 

The Isle of Man--where you can ride behind steam on the south end and ride in 100+ year old interurban cars on the north end, and travel between the respective terminals in a horse-powered tram. Hog heaven for vintage transport fans!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:06 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
wm303 wrote:
"Any steam on CSX"

I'll remind you that I had top Conrail and NS officials telling me for a decade or two that I was never going to see steam on the Horse Shoe Curve again, at least not without it being towed by diesels.

And I've had guys who work in railroad engineering and track geometry outline all the reasons why, although you COULD get a Big Boy running out of Cheyenne, it simply was impractical to restore a Big Boy for something that has such a limited "route availability," as the British term goes.

I agree that's where we stand NOW................

I agree too, I would like to add this that is somewhat of a relevant note. If anyone remembers in Jim Wrinn's, book Steam's Camelot, 611 was oiled and cared for while she sat in the park. 1218 was missing many parts while on display. When 611 was retired again, Roanoke NRHS members would oil and move her every once and awhile, now she may return to service. I'll also add (wishful thinking) 1218 is without many inside parts. Who knows, more "impossible" things have happened. And my bucket list includes any steam on CSX (for the record).