It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: R.J. Corman QJ Possible Last Run Today - Video
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:09 pm 

The locomotive does not need a 15 year inspection.

It does need a 5-year staybolt cap removal and inspection of the bolts
due to the fact that the telltale holes are not drilled all the way into the
head of the bolt, as prescribed by Part 230.

Service days are not reported on a Form 4. They are reported annually on a Form 5.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:
The locomotive does not need a 15 year inspection.

It does need a 5-year staybolt cap removal and inspection of the bolts
due to the fact that the telltale holes are not drilled all the way into the
head of the bolt, as prescribed by Part 230.

Service days are not reported on a Form 4. They are reported annually on a Form 5.

This comports with what my source said.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:41 am 

5 year insp is due.

Robert Yuill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:48 pm 

I think the answer to this one came today. Corman passed away today, and I'll bet the QJ run was a bucket list request from him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:07 pm 

Quote:
I think the answer to this one came today. Corman passed away today

Well in that case this pretty much has been the last run of this loco then. Rick was the ONLY reason that engine saw steam. His middle management down to the yard workers hate that engine with a passion. So I imagine this'll be the end of it.

The interesting thing is going to be what happens to the company over the course of the next few weeks. Without Corman there to keep literally everyone in the company under his thumb (not to mention being sole owner of the company) the management implosion this is going to create as they all struggle to be the one that comes out on top is going to be a show.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:36 pm 

boilerwash wrote:
Quote:

Well in that case this pretty much has been the last run of this loco then. Rick was the ONLY reason that engine saw steam. His middle management down to the yard workers hate that engine with a passion. So I imagine this'll be the end of it.

The interesting thing is going to be what happens to the company over the course of the next few weeks. Without Corman there to keep literally everyone in the company under his thumb (not to mention being sole owner of the company) the management implosion this is going to create as they all struggle to be the one that comes out on top is going to be a show.

Found an article for those interested...
http://www.kentucky.com/2013/08/23/2782 ... orman.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:45 pm 

boilerwash wrote:
Quote:

Seizing on a man's untimely death to support your original, incorrect and innaccurate assertion shows little class on your part and doesn't change the fact that you were simply wrong. At least for today, let us not treat his death and what happens to his company as some sort of morbid spectator sport.

Mr. Corman went from sleeping in his truck while he started his backhoe business to the business empire he left behind. For that reason alone, this self-made man will be sorely missed. The world needs more people like R.J. Corman.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:07 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:

Anyone who competently runs a business arranges for some form of orderly transition should unexpected things happen. Yes, there have been companies which were left in the hands of a son or daughter with the business sense of an eggplant, but those are the exceptions. Corman had years to plan for this. He outlived his original maximum prognosis by nearly a decade. Yes, it's possible that everything goes to heck in a handbasket, but it's far more likely that something has been well-planned--the loco gets donated to some museum, sold to another railroad, etc.

The only question is, is there anyone that can make good use of this loco? Grand Canyon? Great Smoky Mountain RR? Norfolk Southern? Greenbrier Limited?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:21 pm 

I second Brother Wilkin's comment.

A man who started as the son of a dirt farmer and built a business that did amazing things in this industry including providing employment over the years for thousands of people and gave much of his wealth to various causes and, most importantly, was the father of five died this morning after long battle with cancer. Can you please give it a rest for a few days?

My condolences to Tammie and his family.

GME

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 am 

Mr. Corman was a real inspiration to me. He may be one of the last rags to riches stories.
He will sorely be missed

-R. F. Hanks
Swindon Locomotive Works
March 18, 1960