It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gatsby steam?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:55 pm 

The wife, granddaughter and I went to see "The Great Gatsby" last night. In one of the scenes there appeared a steam locomotive up ahead of some passenger cars. It was only on the screen for a few moments and since it was off in the distance and I wasn't expecting it, I did not really get any kind of a good look at it. What I did notice however, is that it had what appeared to be one of those Illinois Central type streamlined sand domes. My first thought was that they used the IC 2-8-0 at Steamtown, the 790. But maybe not. It could have been computer generated, but if so, did they use the 790 as a model? Anyone know anything about this scene and the locomotive? I don't recall seeing anything about this in print.

Les

Post subject: Re: Gatsby steam?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:12 pm 

Les,

The movie was filmed in Australia. The coaching stock, or at least the one used as the template for the CGI model was a dead giveaway of either Australia or New Zealand.

They also used the same CGI model for the "elevated" trains going about Manhattan. If you look closely, you notice they were tuscan red and were operating via left-hand running.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."