It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: America's Newest Steam Locomotive - York #17 (Photos)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:53 am 

Early last month, I was fortunate to be able to spend 3 days observing, riding and photographing the new "Steam into History" (SIH) operation in New Freedom, PA. This new tourist railroad is operating a brand new, 4-4-0 American Standard, built by the Kloke Locomotive Works in Elgin, IL. The new locomotive is designed to look like an 1860s-era wood-burner, and is loosely based on the design drawings developed by O'Connor Engineering back in the late 1970s for the two engines that firm built for the Park Service's Golden Spike National Historic Site. The "York 17" as she is called, is really an oil-burner with air brakes, and all of the other appliances that the FRA now requires.

The new "York 17" runs on a roughly 10-mile stretch of rehabbed track that was historically part of the Northern Central Railway. The excursions operate out of New Freedom and make a round-trip to Hanover Junction, currently using replica coaches leased from another operation. SIH expects to begin taking delivery of some replica coaches of their own beginning this month.

Obviously, the main attraction of this new operation is the beautiful new engine. Quite simply, there is no other tourist railroad with anything like it. An additional draw is the restored depot/museum at Hanover Junction and the rich history of the place. Abraham Lincoln is said to have stopped there on his way to Gettysburg in November of 1863, and the group has Matthew Brady photos that purport to show the man himself standing on the platform. What struck me was just how sharp Brady's photos were. If the bearded gentleman on the platform isn't Old Abe, he could fool me.

Here is a small photo album of shots that I took during those three days.

http://www.railpictures.net/album/1287/

Click on the thumbnail images for full-screen views. Check out the link that I put on the Hanover Junction shot to see some of the Brady pics. The guy did some amazing work.

To the photos!

/Kevin

Post subject: Re: America's Newest Steam Locomotive - York #17 (Photos)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:45 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The photos depicting "Lincoln" at Hanover Junction have been hotly debated ever since 1952, when a researcher looking through the National Archives figured out that over the decades two "Matthew Brady photos" (remember, he ran the studio, but hired many teams of photographers to go out and document the Civil War--and he was hardly the only studio so retained by the US Government) had been mislabeled "Hanover Junction, Va." and not "Pa."

The story that's believed to have sparked the national curiosity was a front-page article in the Gettysburg Times on Jan. 1. 1954 and available for online viewing here: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=7 ... page&hl=en (Note that due to an error in cataloging, the Jan. 1 issue was not separated from the December 31st issue; the story begins on "page 9" of the Dec. 31st, 1953 reprint at Google News and continues on Pages 6 and 7 of that issue.) From there, the story spread to publications like the then-brand-new American Heritage (founded and edited by railfan Oliver Jensen), who like the History Channel today were unafraid of engaging in rampant speculation to draw eyeballs.

I would say the jury is still out. Parties whom I trust more than most historians have cited over the years speculations and theories why this really wouldn't be Lincoln; but like reasonable transit historians debunking the Great National City Lines Streetcar Conspiracy they can't seem to get themselves heard over the ruckus of people defending their pet theories.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:08 pm 

I have seen references that indicated the possibility that the tall, bearded man in the top hat and coat could also be a prominent railroad official, whom that reference named. As you say, we will never know for certain. The thing that impressed me most about the Brady photos was how much detail existed after some substantial crops. No doubt, some of what I see is due to enhancement techniques that didn't exist back in the 1860s.

Still, I am fascinated by the images that do exist from that era, and so grateful to not only the people who made them, but those who subsequently made sure they survived for me to enjoy.

/Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:23 pm 

Awesome photography Kevin. Stunning photos of this very impressive locomotive.

I finally made my way out to Steam Into History last Sunday. I chased the two roundtrips and bought tickets to ride on a return visit this Sunday. Word to the wise. It's a good idea to buy tickets ahead of time (online or in person) to guarantee a seat. There is limited capacity and thankfully for them this operation is proving to be real popular. Chasing for photos is very easy due to the low speed of the train and the numerous photo locations along the 10 mile route. Caution should be used since many of the back roads are narrow with one lane bridges and underpasses. Many of the photo locations have very limited "pull off" spots and, as always, respecting private property is a good idea. The local folk seem very friendly and seem to like the train, so it would be good to keep it that way. Another caution: when driving across the bike trail be alert for cyclists who don't always stop at the road crossings like they're supposed to.

As for the Steam Into History operation, I must say I was impressed with the whole thing. Any earlier online negative comments definitely seem to me to be unwarranted. Everyone on or around the train were very professional in their actions. Lead engineer Steve will be a familiar face to anyone who has visited Strasburg. I also recall him running the William Mason at the B&O Museum, so ancient (or ancient-looking) 4-4-0's are nothing new. Point is: I believe this operation is in very good hands. The onboard narrators and performers, all in period costumes, looked like they add some extra flare to ride experience. The riders disembarking seem to be very pleased. That's what counts. In chasing the trains I got to "know" the flagmen who leapfrogged ahead of the train to protect the crossings. Good guys, volunteers, doing a good (sometimes thankless) job keeping everyone safe. They have to look out for cyclists on the trail as well as cars on the roads.

BTW, that rail trail is sure popular. I'm pretty sure there were actually more cyclists (and hikers) on the trail than they were vehicles on the surrounding roads!

Note to the Mayor of Kingston, NY: come down to York County, Pa and see how well a tourist train and a recreational trail can co-exist on one strip of land. And the train will bring revenue to your town like it seems to be doing for New Freedom, Pa.

The restored Hanover Junction station is a gem that in its past sure looked like it days were numbered due to its then-condition. The museum displays inside (showcasing the Civil War and the local railroad's part in it) are definitely worth a look during the train's layover. Although one can get up close and personal with the York at New Freedom and on the trail-side at Hanover Junction, they have roped off the Hanover Branch (siding) side of the locomotive so one can get people-free shots of it... and it's the sunnyside... yea!!

The Reader RR-supplied wood coach bodies-on-steel flatcar frames (the temporary leased ones and the soon to arrive new ones) are actually a pretty neat idea and certainly don't look half bad. Their smaller size fits in nicely with the smaller lines of the York. Last weekend the open "cattle" car was sidelined no doubt from its run in with the lady and her car at a private crossing. It's railroading, no matter how hard you try, stuff is going to happen. The only damage I saw was a bent foot stirrup. I guess it will be back on the train soon.

As for the York, any words from me will not do it justice. What a beautiful piece of machinery! The craftsmenship of Mr. Kloke and company is outstanding. I spent plenty of time studying it all... those crosshead pumps are works of art! Hopefully the earlier "teething" issues are over and she certainly ran and sounded great last Sunday.

Needless to say everyone should check this operation out.

PS: forgot to mention that they are getting ready to build an addition onto their New Freedom store building which will house the York out of the weather.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Last edited by Jim Robinson on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:50 pm 

I wish I was still in Maryland so I could see this engine. Wow, really impressive stuff in those photos...
I was on am Amtrak train with railroad artist Craig Thorpe coming back from Portland for national train day and he had a 8X10 photo of a really nice painting he'd done for this operation, of this locomotive at the Hanover Junction depot during the Civil War, with Union soldiers milling around. It's a very well-done painting and he assumed they'd be eventually selling prints. Keep an eye out for this once it gets out there! I'm normally not a big fan of collecting RR art, but I might just get a print of this if they have affordable prints of it eventually.
As for the Lincoln shot, there are several photos that people contend are Lincoln in them, but people seem to forget that thin men with beards and tall top hats in black was a reasonably common look for the period. Lots of men would have looked like him from a distance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:58 pm 

The photographs look astonishingly like Currier and Ives prints

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:16 pm 

p51 wrote:
I was on am Amtrak train with railroad artist Craig Thorpe coming back from Portland for national train day and he had a 8X10 photo of a really nice painting he'd done for this operation, of this locomotive at the Hanover Junction depot during the Civil War, with Union soldiers milling around. It's a very well-done painting and he assumed they'd be eventually selling prints. Keep an eye out for this once it gets out there! I'm normally not a big fan of collecting RR art, but I might just get a print of this if they have affordable prints of it eventually.

I was also on the Cascades May 12th coming back from NTD at Portland, and hearing Mr. Thorpe describe how he conducts research for his paintings was very interesting.

I was at King Street Station recently (July 27th for the Exhibit Train and the unveiling of the new Talgo Type 8 Cascades sets) and at Mr. Thorpe's table, I saw prints of a painting he had done recently of Glacier National Park. Extremely well done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
I was also on the Cascades May 12th coming back from NTD at Portland, and hearing Mr. Thorpe describe how he conducts research for his paintings was very interesting.

I'm sure we saw each other, then (I went down there with Robert Scott and hung with the Oly Group). There has been nothing online about sales of the print he had the 8X10 of, can't find a record of it anywhere. But if you were at that table (I was on the opposite side of the club car on that trip), I'd bet you saw the photo of the painting he had.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:40 pm 

p51 wrote:
I'm sure we saw each other, then (I went down there with Robert Scott and hung with the Oly Group). There has been nothing online about sales of the print he had the 8X10 of, can't find a record of it anywhere. But if you were at that table (I was on the opposite side of the club car on that trip), I'd bet you saw the photo of the painting he had.

I did indeed see the Hanover Junction photograph. I also saw the custom model someone had of the original Cascades set in a wooden case. That was really fascinating. That was a good day overall; I was finally able to check off the SP&S #700 on my "Steam to See" list. Just a little too muggy in Portland for my liking, but it didn't keep me from snapping photographs in the full sun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm 

Doesn't take very long for that brass to tarnish, does it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:48 am 

softwerkslex wrote:
Doesn't take very long for that brass to tarnish, does it?

They have been having "polishing parties" and invite folks to lend a hand in return for a ticket. That's a neat idea and if you want to help, check their Facebook page for when they plan on doing one (they are/were trying for today if it doesn't rain). The new engine shed should help.

As for the Brady photographs and is it or isn't it Lincoln... I'm willing to let the town have its claim to fame... then again I thought I saw the Loch Ness Monster in the (adjacent) Codorus Creek!

Regards,
Jim Robinson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:11 am 

Quote:
Lead engineer Steve will be a familiar face to anyone who has visited Strasburg. I also recall him running the William Mason at the B&O Museum

Not to take anything away from him, as I'm sure he's plenty experienced, but we haven't had an engineer named Steve at the B&O in the 15 years that I've been there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:48 am 

Bruce Duensing wrote:
The photographs look astonishingly like Currier and Ives prints

I thought I was the only one who thought that. Great Images! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:00 pm 

C. Edwards wrote:
Quote:
Lead engineer Steve will be a familiar face to anyone who has visited Strasburg. I also recall him running the William Mason at the B&O Museum

Not to take anything away from him, as I'm sure he's plenty experienced, but we haven't had an engineer named Steve at the B&O in the 15 years that I've been there.

I guess I'm mistaken. My last visit to the B&O was in 2000 (my apologies for not returning sooner!) and I had a great cab ride that day on the Mason. A fellow named Harold (I think last name Dorsey?) was running and I thought I remembered Steve Meola being there firing and running some. Too many years ago for my ol' brain cells.

Getting back to Steam Into History, it seems they had a bit of minor vandalism the other night. Thankfully not to the York. The Stewie's 44 tonner and the open car received some minor damage, the kind of stuff that unfortunately kids think is cool to do. Most likely kids. An even better reason than tarnished brass to get the York under cover and locked up.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:27 pm 

C. Edwards wrote:
Quote:

I believe that the engineer Jim was referring to was involved with the restoration and break-in on the B&O 25 at the Strasburg Railroad. As I recall, that was over a decade ago. The gentleman is currently on the staff of the Railroad Museum of PA.

/Kevin