It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:10 pm 

Apparently one of the engines that had been a WW1 'trench' locomotive was sold to a private operation in WA state. That's the one I saw in the book. It's also mentioned here, about halfway down through this forum: http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=486.0 I guess it retained the Byron name when it was sold to that operation? I also found mention of it here: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75943#p75943 This links also says something about it: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=110192#p110192
Maybe it was OWNED by someone from WA state but it never was sent there? Beats me why that book is the only mention of this operation anywhere that I can find.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:51 am 

Jeff Terry's two photos of Byron Railroad # 2967 sure are interesting. Thanks for posting them Jeff! In addition to the two old genuine Burlington headlights, number plate, dynamo and markers (as confirmed by J. David), I wonder if the cab ALSO came from a CB&Q steamer? Sure bears a resemblance to one! I have looked at Jeff's two photos and I wonder if the engine isn't a 2-6-0, rather than a Prairie? I can't see any hint of a pair of trailing wheels under the cab, but maybe my old eyes are just to weak to see them.

This homebuilt locomotive sure is a joy to behold. I think if more care had been spent on making the passenger cars look more authentic, the illusion would even be greater.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:28 am 

No, you are correct. Engine is a 2-6-0 from photo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:28 pm 

One of the engines was for sale on ebay about 8 or so years ago. The story I got from some friends in Davenport area was one of the boilers was from an Aultman Taylor traction engine, the other was either a Port Huron or Avery engine...either way they had wet bottoms. They were both acquired BEFORE WW2, as I was told, and he didn't get them going until much later. They were trench engine frames, that were left over from the Great War. One either didn't have a trailing truck with it, or got it removed, but I seem to have seen pictures of them double heading, both as prairies. Since the drawings for the trench engines are readily available, it would be nice to have one rebuilt in its intended configuration. Or at least thats what the Brits would do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:22 am 

Jeff Terry wrote:
Doug,

*edited*

I am reasonably certain that 2967 is still in private hands in Monroe, Washington; I added it to the database. I also added 2968 at Watertown, NY; currently owned (and stored) by Railstar.

Jeff Terry

OK, so I was remembering correctly after all. I thought so, but it was quite a while ago that they talked about building the railroad, and I don't know that I ever knew who actually owned the engine.

Has anything ever been done with it? Does he have any sort of operation? Or is it simply stashed in a barn somplace?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:54 pm 

The boiler on this 2-6-0, actually a prairie sans trailing truck, appears to be from a wet bottom Aultman Taylor. The other engine had, I believe, a boiler from a Port Huron.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 am 

Link to related WW I Railroaders thread (trench engines):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32411

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:57 am 

Hi guys, I live in SW Washington and came across this site by googling a locomotive I found sitting in a barn and wanted to learn more about it. Its numbered 2967 and lettered for Byron railroad which I have never heard of being a west coaster. I will see if there is a way to share some photos on here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:29 pm 

You found this thing "sitting in a barn"?!?

Can you be any more specific? Obviously, it's probably not a good idea to give out the exact location, but is it still near Monroe, or is it now in SW Washington?

Any idea who owns it now? Did you contact the owner, if you know who it is?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:56 pm 

Yep sitting in a barn on the same rails with another locomotive. Looks like its been there awhile. Currently in SW Washington in the hands of a collector. I will be going back there again before too long and can ask questions. Will try again to post some pictures using a better internet conn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:20 pm 

Had to chop the pics down a little to upload here.

Attachments:
File comment: Heres a tender side view of 2967
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 349.34 KiB | Viewed 9605 times ]
File comment: Here is the forward cab view
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 341.23 KiB | Viewed 9605 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:23 am 

Well dont that beat all haha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:52 am 

AmericanStandard wrote:
Well dont that beat all haha

Indeed! I was expecting the next post to start out "dear friend..." like some Nigerian spammer. LOL

C.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:55 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Jeff Terry's two photos of Byron Railroad # 2967 sure are interesting. Thanks for posting them Jeff! In addition to the two old genuine Burlington headlights, number plate, dynamo and markers (as confirmed by J. David), I wonder if the cab ALSO came from a CB&Q steamer? Sure bears a resemblance to one! I have looked at Jeff's two photos and I wonder if the engine isn't a 2-6-0, rather than a Prairie? I can't see any hint of a pair of trailing wheels under the cab, but maybe my old eyes are just to weak to see them.

This homebuilt locomotive sure is a joy to behold. I think if more care had been spent on making the passenger cars look more authentic, the illusion would even be greater.

Les

I originally thought that the cab of this engine might have been right off of the real #2967, a Burlington 4-6-2, but these new photos show it has to be a custom job being much smaller than a standard size cab. However, I think that the side plate from the CB&Q Pacific may have been cut off of the engine and used under the window on this cab when it was built. Maybe not, but that's what it looks like to me.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:47 pm 

Having read this posting since it started, its time to add what I know. Byron and his brother Manfred Were from the Creston Iowa area. Byron was a plumber and Manfred worked in the back shops of the CB&Q in Creston The running gear was made by Bessiemer Locomotive works of Davenport Iowa, And were left over From WW1. A few smaller parts had to be remade , weather they were produced or they were lost I don't Know. They had sat around the yard since 1918. The reason they didn't go for the WW2 metal drives, is they were purchased before 12-7-1941, and were stored for the upcoming project. The Hiatts had both engines running on a small rail road, just east of Creston by the end of the 40s or the very early 50s. (there was a short story about them in Trains Magazine at about the same time]. In 1959 Byron bough the Wick picnic grounds in Martensdale Iowa.{ A mile from my family home} Why Byron picked Martensdale I done know ,he never told me. By the late 1960s after he had the rail road operating he again went through another divorce, and had to sell off every thing. The engines, cars and support equipment was loaded on CB&Q flat cars, and the were sent to Geo Long of Monroe Washington.. , who had bought the Byron RR. In the 1990s I called to Geo and asked what he had done with everything, his reply was nothing. He also asked if I wanted to buy him out. At this point I got in touch with the folks in Creston I had been dealing with on a caboose for there rail road park and let them know about the Haitt boys rail road being up for sale. Other folks in this form have filled in the later history better than I could. Just the lack of money kept the Byron Rail Road from coming back to Iowa where it belongs. T BRIAN FREEMAN AKA MOTORCARM19

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next