It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falls Creek RR (was Lykens Valley RR)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:53 am 

About a month ago, there was a discussion on the disposition of an S-2, from the Lykens Valley RR. Attached are several recently-found photos that I took on 31-July-1985, on the Falls Creek.

The 61 and 62 (S-2s) were in a similar paint scheme to the Lykens Valley. There was also a recently-acquired CF7 (my memory says that there were two of them, by my photos only show one - perhaps the other will show up in another archaeological dig in my photo boxes).

There was mention of runaway damage to the 62. It had indeed been damaged in a runaway incident on the Falls Creek, not long before our visit. The story that we were told was that the CF7 (or CF7s) had taken the day's train out on the line, and there was a payloader type of machine working coal in the loading area. It bumped the 62, and the handbrake was either not applied, or ineffectual. They were able to board the 62, but the cab was locked, so they were unable to stop it. It caught up to the train, and did fairly severe damage to itself, as well as the train's caboose. I don't know anything about personnel injuries, if any.

PYZedd - although this is tardy, I hope this is of some use to your friend.

Attachments:
File comment: Falls Creek 62 - after runaway
Scan_3.jpg
Scan_3.jpg [ 234.88 KiB | Viewed 5512 times ]
File comment: Falls Creek 61 - Former Lykens Valley unit(?)
Scan_2.jpg
Scan_2.jpg [ 220.82 KiB | Viewed 5512 times ]
File comment: "New" CF7 at Falls Creek
Scan_1.jpg
Scan_1.jpg [ 245.81 KiB | Viewed 5512 times ]

Post subject: Re: Falls Creek RR (was Lykens Valley RR)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:42 pm 

John, Thank you for the new info and pictures regarding the ex-Lykens Valley Railroad! I will forward to the young man ASAP! Thanks again...... John -PYZedd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:35 pm 

I understand that the line ceased operations circa 1988, What happened to the motive power?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:58 am 

Know that an ALCO ended up on the BUFFALO SOUTHERN Railroad, not sure which Falls Creek ALCO No. ended up on the BSOR. Besides wasn't this actually NYC's Falls Creek Branch?

Mr. Starr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:30 pm 

The 62 ended up on Buffalo Southern, still sitting derelict last I heard. 61 went to New Castle Industrial Railroad as their 3003, scrapped in 2008. Both came from the LIRR via Naporano, and the 61 was a D&H unit prior to the LIRR.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:13 pm 

Falls Creek #61 did end up at the New Castle Industrial Railroad with its original D&H number 3003. Scrapped circa 2008.

Falls Creek #62, the wrecked unit, went to the New York & Lake Erie Railroad at Gowanda, NY, for parts. The locomotive, or what was left of it, was to be scrapped but I don't know if that has happened.

#61 was bought by Jim Laubach from Naparano for his Lykens Valley Railroad (LVKY #1) and #62 followed later for the Mercersburg Railway (MERW #2). LVKY #1 went to Mercersburg in 1979 but the railroad folded about a year and half later. The line did operate a couple of neat excursions before it went under. Laubach sold most of his railroad equipment to the Benjamin Coal Company which, in partnership with Kennedy Railroad Builders, operated the Falls Creek Railroad. This was a former Pennsy branch that served Benjamin's coal tipple about four miles north of Falls Creek (Dubois) PA. After the 62 was wrecked Benjamin bought a pair of CF-7s for the line and I believe they ended up in the Genessee & Wyoming fleet after the Falls Creek ceased operations following Benjamin Coal's bankruptcy. The right of way is now a trail.

Alan Maples

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 pm 

trainspot wrote:
The 62 ended up on Buffalo Southern, still sitting derelict last I heard. 61 went to New Castle Industrial Railroad as their 3003, scrapped in 2008. Both came from the LIRR via Naporano, and the 61 was a D&H unit prior to the LIRR.

I had the 62 listed as belonging to the NYLE, not the Buffalo Southern..although it could have been either..the point is moot now anyway, as the 62 was scrapped in Gowanda, NY in March 2012.

NYLE 62
Alco S2
b/n 76572
ex Falls Creek 62, exx Mercersburg RR 2, nee LIRR 452
scrapped at Gowanda, NY, March 2012.

62 was the red one in the back..
she was in that sad state in Gowanda for a decade at least, maybe two.
The B&O unit still exists.

Scot