It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CNJ 113 and RBMN 425 to be in Schuikill Haven under stea
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:41 pm 

Bernie,

Thanks for the updates and insights and most importantly thanks for not letting one single crazy person with multiple internet personalities and a bad habit of pretending to be other people deter you from sharing.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:19 pm 

Hi all,

I can't vouch for the color, but the round number plate was typical of CNJ steam until they went with the "Reading look" of the square numberplate.

As far as steam in the 20th Century goes, there were three eras of looks for the CNJ.

Early - Round Numberplate, CRRofNJ lettering in Gothic
Mid - Round or Rectangular Numberplate, CRRofNJ lettering in Roman
Late - Rectangular Numberplate, Statue of Liberty "Jersey Central Lines" lettering

#113 likely wore all three combos at some point in her career.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:06 pm 

Mgoldman wrote:

Question is, what cost, if any would there be in hosting such a site.

You can get a website going for almost nothing. Under $20 per year for sure.

A couple tips/suggestions:
- As mentioned, websites can be cheap. Offer a few cab rides and I bet people would be willing to donate their time/hosting/DNS.
- I'm a tech person, not a writer. Whenever I do a site for somebody I tell them "I'm fine with making updates but you supply the content. I'm not going to write your press releases and take pictures and have write blog posts and design your logo for you."
- Honestly, Facebook really might be your best and easiest resource to get information online, at least at this point for the group. Once you going to start worrying about taking ticket sales and whatever you can buy a real website from somebody.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:26 pm 

I'd gladly operate an official Facebook page for this group. I am and I have been admin for several pages so I know what I'm doing. Like Emmo said, just supply the content.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm 

What a wonderful effort the 113 team has set forth. The whistle gave me chills. You should be a very proud group.

And special thanks to Bernie for his talents. I hope to see you in Maine next week.

Ira Schreiber
Aurora, CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 pm 

Ira,

Thanx for the comments. Sorry, I won't be able to get to Maine this fall and for the foreseeable future due to family commitments.

B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:33 pm 

I should also add that the CNJ was notorious for tender swapping. I have not done any research on the style of tender #113 has now and if it was with her at birth, modified or completely different.

One thing any CNJ devotee has learned is that any discussion of a steam locomotive's appearance should specify the day and date you are asking about. OK, it's not that bad, but close.

Those of us who care can't wait to see which variant of The Blue Comet paint scheme MTH uses (I sent them the info). Last time they mixed parts from different schemes. What's that you say, there were multiple paint schemes for Blue Comet engines? Yup. Subtle, but different.

There was a lot of variety on The Big Little Railroad.

Rob

robertjohndavis wrote:
Hi all,

I can't vouch for the color, but the round number plate was typical of CNJ steam until they went with the "Reading look" of the square numberplate.

As far as steam in the 20th Century goes, there were three eras of looks for the CNJ.

Early - Round Numberplate, CRRofNJ lettering in Gothic
Mid - Round or Rectangular Numberplate, CRRofNJ lettering in Roman
Late - Rectangular Numberplate, Statue of Liberty "Jersey Central Lines" lettering

#113 likely wore all three combos at some point in her career.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 pm 

tom moungovan wrote:
Thanks for the video footage. Never realized just how big a machine she is. Interesting to apply Baker motion to a switcher.

Great video, and had to enjoy watching the traffic jam the pacers made following the 113. Wonder what the people in the houses thought of all the commotion!

Baker gear was quite common on modern steam switchers. It was the standard for USRA 0-6-0s and 0-8-0s and the many clones built to those patterns, including the large numbers of such engines built for NYC and Erie, the roller bearing switchers of the W&LE, and the modern 0-8-0s of the C&O, including the ones sold to Virginian and the N&W, and which the N&W copied as well.

Even Southern Railway, a road that was known to replace Baker with Walschaerts and even Southern gear on road power, found Baker suitable on its USRA-designed 0-8-0s. As was often common on SR, some of these engines could be kind of spiffy:

http://southern.railfan.net/images/arch ... u1867.html

Among the spiffier had to be this one, with a centered headlight and an apparently passenger-inspired paint scheme.

http://southern.railfan.net/images/arch ... /6032.html

Oh, no, red cars again, and with a blue engine! Ach, whatever has happened to Pullman green? Bah, congratulations to both groups for helping keep steam alive!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:31 pm 

Concerning the blue footboards. Bob said that the R&N gave us some blue paint and we were starting from the bottom up and by the next doubleheader we will have matching locomotives.

So much for Bob's terrible humor. He wanted the footboards painted and that was the only wood paint on hand. It will be black next time (hopefully).

The change from round to rectangular nose plates was in 1933.

B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 am 

I suspected it might be a "that was the paint we had" sort of thing. I'll gladly accept that explanation.

And I'll throw this out there.. I've been mulling over the idea of moving back to PA (I'm from Shenandoah, originally) some time in the next year, and if I do, I'll volunteer to build a #113 website. And do whatever grunt work is needed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 am 

You can call Bob Kimmel at the Minersville station 570-544-8300 and discuss it with him. Using email, you will get me because I monitor it. I don't wish to become a go-between because I don't have any more time to devote to the project. Chances are you could work the so called current site which I believe is set up. I will see if I can find the web address.

B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:19 pm 

Lease her to Steamtown to earn some money and have them live up to their purpose!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:26 pm 

If Steamown had the discretionary funds that wouldn't be such a bad idea, but they don't. I'm sure this Federal shutdown has the doors closed tight; wonder for how long...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 pm 

Steamtown's not in a position to do much of anything at the moment. If it was, I'd say an agreement on a loan would work out better, similar to the deals the ARHS and the Tri-State NRHS has. 113 can be housed out the elements, get routine maintenance, etc etc, and as was said, Steamtown could live up to its name lol. Personal opinion, nothing more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 pm 

The current web site that someone started and didn't get very far at is jerseycentral113.com. If you go to it, there isn't much there. Maybe you can continue with its production

B

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next