It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coaches and Caboose in Chestertown, MD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:41 am 

I came across these photos of a couple of coaches and a caboose in Chestertown, MD:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/45899808 ... google.com

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/45899811 ... google.com

A PRR rail line used to terminate here but no longer. Google Earth shows the old right-of-way in the town is now a bike path, and the active rail line, operated by the Maryland & Delaware Railroad, is truncated to the north at Worton, MD. Does anyone know the background of these cars and what's being done with them now? Judging by their proximity to a large building, they may be part of a commercial enterprise, such as a store or a restaurant.

Post subject: Re: Coaches and Caboose in Chestertown, MD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:31 am 

I've never been there so I don't know anything about how the cars got there or what they are being used for, but I can say the coaches look like former Reading MU cars (one of them even has Taylor trucks). The caboose looks like either a New Haven steel job or perhaps some clones that were built by the Wheeling & Lake Erie, which were later inherited by the Nickel Plate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:02 pm 

That would not be a W&LE or NKP caboose, the side windows are mounted too high on the car body, The "Nickel Plate High Speed Service" banner would not fit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
"Captive Cabeese" reports the car, and the locos with it, are/were owned by the Kent County Chamber of Commerce, and lists the caboose as New Haven C584, PC/CR 19847.

There's another caboose far to the south of town on the Quaker Neck peninsula off of Md. 269, visible along the shore of tone of the Chester River peninsulas, reported to be wooden cupola B&O C149.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:57 pm 

Here is another caboose on the r/w of a former Eastern Shore branch line in Ridgely, MD.
[url]
http://ridgelymd.org/2013/07/25/caboose-then-and-now/[/url]

Wesley
(revised posting)

Last edited by wesp on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:36 pm 

If memory serves me right, that B&O caboose is easily viewed from the waters of Langford Bay, on a private estate. It's been there since about 1980 and has always
been kept just right. Near where I used to live.
Alan W.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:34 pm 

Instead of being "left behind" in Ridgely when the Chesapeake Railroad shut down 15 years ago this month, this caboose was actually trucked in at a later date. When the line was cleared in October 1998, everything was pulled to the interchange at Clayton, DE, and no rolling stock was left along the line. I was there on the morning of the last movement and I can verify that nothing was left behind on that occasion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:28 pm 

Yesterday I dropped by Chestertown to take look at the rolling stock but unfortunately there are no traces of markings on the sides any of the cars to indicate their original owners. The two protrusions on the sides of each passenger car appear to be air conditioners. The cars are sealed up with plywood in the door entrances and they don't appear to be used as anything other than displays. The brake rigging on the underside has been removed so anyone wishing to restore them to service would need to find new parts. I found some electrical cables on the cars' undersides but there's no indication that they're currently powering anything inside the cars (unless they're being lit up on the inside at night), and it's possible these cables were installed when the cars may have been used in a different capacity elsewhere.