It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A New Golden Age of Steam Restoration?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:00 pm 

There is a large amount of interest (and apparently) funding going into US-based steam locomotives lately. The Big Boy is the lead steam story, but there are so many others, including my personal focus of interest B&M #3713. I am not going to proclaim this the last great hurrah, but with at least 5 steam restorations completed this year, a few expected next year, a dozen other active projects, maybe another dozen or so "kind of" active, and a string of rumored projects (another one hit today) could this be the time to be bullish on steam?

A NKP S2 flew across Indiana without diesel assist last weekend... I'd say that's a sign the steam gods are happy.

Rob

Post subject: Re: A New Golden Age of Steam Restoration?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:57 pm 

Don't forget that Doyle McCormack's "Honorary Steam Locomotive" NKP PA has been seen blowing smoke lately as well as he tests the engine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 pm 

A 2-8-0 has lurked in Tennessee without a diesel recently also. When we get to the point of open window coaches, open dutch doors, and no more ugly orange vests on the train crews, it will truly be a new "Golden Age"....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:51 pm 

^_^ Orly? So I can ride behind a steam engine on any given Saturday within 100 miles of my house?

I suppose that is too much to hope for...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm 

I can. 5 of them.

Not my point, though. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:58 pm 

We really need a like button on RyPN.

Gary's post: LIKE, LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!!!!! Right on, brother!!!

Howard P.
Traditional, Conn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:06 am 

I wish it was a golden age once more. If it was there would be a heavy mikado thundering down the BNSF Hinkley sub with a tourist train in tow...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:57 am 

Don't forget the built-new PRR T1 as well........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:33 am 

There's a differenced betwen steam restoration and sustainable steam programs. I'd be very interested in mainline steam being restored because we need more operating locomotives to pull all the trains railroads want to run.......not as interested in an immaculately restored, ready to go locomotive that spends 98% of the next 15 years sitting in an enginehouse hoping for a chance to maybe go somewhere someday.

Build the progams first, then the hardware to carry them out. And, by the way, coaches........

dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:33 am 

Dave wrote:
.......not as interested in an immaculately restored, ready to go locomotive that spends 98% of the next 15 years sitting in an enginehouse hoping for a chance to maybe go somewhere someday.

Well, that's life in the mainline steam excursion business. Aside from coaches there's a dearth of places to run big steam. For a time 1225 had the sweetest deal there is, an ample coach fleet 50 miles away, and every direction from Owosso is a shortline or regional connecting to a nice web of them in the state. And look how little it runs.

NS and UP are never going to run steam on freight trains, ever, give that up.

The fertile ground for everyday steam is the numerous heritage railways like Mid-Continent, Monticello, French Lick and the like. But even if they're working for a living, they would be small engines. Steamheads by popular vote would rather play with a Northern that goes Nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am 

Gary Gray wrote:
When we get to the point of open window coaches, open dutch doors, and no more ugly orange vests on the train crews, it will truly be a new "Golden Age"....

The 765 folks pulled at least two of these off for two weekends this year in Ohio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nev_Wc2PvLk

But then again, this wasn't mainline steaming. Good nonetheless!

Bob

Last edited by bbunge on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:10 pm 

By God, what more could you want? It makes all the right noises, the earth moves when it passes, and the slower speed means more time to enjoy the sensations!

Last edited by G. W. Laepple on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:42 pm 

It intrigues where this thread has gone, as it shows all the different ways we think about what would make a "golden age."

My comment was merely about the volume of projects recently completed or underway, be they a Big Boy or an 0-6-0. As if to underscore that, the post popped up about #1630 coming back under steam. There are simply a lot of locomotives getting TLC right now.

What I learned is that mainline running is part of what many like-minded folks would consider a criterion for a new golden age.

I look at this way... at the rate things are going it seems there will be more steam locomotives entering service in the next few years than there will be those leaving on 1472 day expirations. By my calculations that was absolutely true this year and is a safe bet for 2014 as well.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:09 pm 

I would say we are in a golden age for steam! Up here in Washington I would add two more to the list, Hammond 17 (alco 2-8-2) and Santa Cruz Portland Cement (porter 0-4-0) will run for the first time in November. There are many more that will run in 2014 such as Santa Maria Valley 205 and Sumpter Valley 19. I for one am optimistic for the future of steam.

Best,

Stathi

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
spappas@cumbrestoltec.com
209 603 7363

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:51 pm 

Gary Gray wrote:
A 2-8-0 has lurked in Tennessee without a diesel recently also. When we get to the point of open window coaches, open dutch doors, and no more ugly orange vests on the train crews, it will truly be a new "Golden Age"....

Gary, I'm sure that Gulf and Ohio appreciates your kind words re. Washington and Lincolnton 203. She has indeed been lurking less diesel support and with open window and open air (flat car) coaches and on board crew less those vests. Indeed a Golden Age.

And to Dave's point, any old commuter coach should be fine. We need to cram them in like sardines, irrespective of comfort level, so we can maximize the $$$ we bank so we can have an immaculate tea kettle. As long as we get their cash, then we got what we needed, right? It interests me that we can raise 1 to 3 million for 611 and the shop but there is no concern at all for an all N&W consist to go with it. We will have educated several generations on late model tea kettles and taught them nothing about the equipment that went behind it and the experience of riding a train in the Golden Age.

ETA