It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frisco 1630 steams.....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
In answer to the people who have been kvetching about the lack of steam at the Illinois Railway Museum and/or the long delay of restoration of Frisco 2-10-0 1630, the IRM posted a Facebook video of a test run after a Federal inspection tonight......

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

Post subject: Re: Frisco 1630 steams.....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:37 am 

The IRM also posted the news in the Steam Department Blog: http://www2.irm.org/blogs/archives/1596-Steam-Department-10-30-13-Extremes-of-high-and-low.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:46 am 

Definitely good news. Maybe I am wrong, but a decade or two ago, IRM seemed to be much more crowded than it is today. The last few trips I took there we almost had the place to ourselves. These were on summer Saturdays, with perfect weather, and once during a special event (the Leviathan operating). I recall going to IRM 10-20 years ago on a random Saturday and the place being much more crowded. It will be interesting to see if having regular operating steam will make a difference.

Chris.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 am 

musta got that little corner of the firebox fixed, that was the big holdout, from here its straight forward. We may see it next year running trips.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 am 

dinwitty wrote:
musta got that little corner of the firebox fixed, that was the big holdout, from here its straight forward. We may see it next year running trips.

I think I read on their website that they will be readying it for the 2014 season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:43 am 

How ironic to have to offer condolences and give a big salute and congrats on the same day. Obvious congrats on the #1630, will personally becoming to witness it and hopefully a shop tour, will ride the train or donate either way. Witnessing a steam locomotive come back from the cold after such long period of time and lengthy rebuild is a wonderful moment to be a part of. Great news!

Never knew your fallen comrade in arms, but I certainly can relate, as many of the old heads that built or helped build M-C over the years that are now only brought up in old memories and discussions. Maybe it is not coincidence that his passing happened on the same day as the steam up and passing of FRA requirements? As a nurse who works in long term care, I have seen similar things many times, who knows for sure?

Best to the organization and keep up the good work. Regards, John.

Last edited by John Risley on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:50 pm 

Great news about SLSF #1630. The restoration of any steam locomotive today is welcome, but when she is a historically important engine like a Russian Decapod, that is even more rewarding to hear about. A tip of my hat to the crew at IRM.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 pm 

The funny thing is that one of the local cable networks has bene playing the movie, "A league of their own" about the woman's baseball teams in WW2, and this engine is seen in one of the RR station shots.
Not less than a couple of weeks ago, I've said out loud, "I wonder when they'll get this old gal back in steam again?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 pm 

Fresh blog post by Roger K with some photos.

http://www2.irm.org/blogs/archives/1600 ... sted!.html

I was there Wed. but did not bring my camera. It was a perfect evening for pictures, no wind, damp, the steam was hanging everywhere.
My apologies to Roger I Photoshopped one of his posts, as attached.

Attachments:
File comment: 1630 backing out under her own power.
1630 bw.jpg
1630 bw.jpg [ 193.77 KiB | Viewed 11181 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:59 pm 

Neat to see 1630 back in steam. She's come a long way from her days in Pitcher, Oklahoma.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:06 am 

Today, 1630 will be under steam. She will hopefully be going around the wye and should be visible on the webcams. The movement will take place sometime during the afternoon. Go to http://www.irm.org/ and click on one of the webcams in the lower left hand corner to watch all the action.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:02 pm 

Great news. When was did it last run before being taken OOS for the running gear work?

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:04 pm 

Steve,

From what I've heard, SLSF 1630 was taken out of service in 2004, to address the rear driver axle, which had a sharp flange and excessive lateral motion.

Regards,
Bob Milhaupt
Occasional IRM Steam Department volunteer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 pm 

I was through the shop to visit with Tom about a year ago. He and his crew were doing some good work on the locomotive. I'm sure all are very excited to have it back out and they deserve a pat on the back!

Cheers, Jason

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:40 pm 

So wasn't it 2009 that the running gear & ashpan work was completed, the boiler time was almost up, and the FRA denied the waiver?

An extension was sought on account of the boiler not being used for about 5 years. As I recall the FRA wanted an inspection and hydro just to go back in service on the remaining boiler time for that same reason...lack of use all that time. That's when the firebox issue was seen and that was it: 1472 teardown begun right away.

So...4 years for the boiler work. That's not so bad. Too bad it was not foreseen that there'd be no more running on the old boiler time after all and some of the work could have been done concurrently, depending on number of volunteers available and so forth. 20/20 hindsight of course as we certainly would have appreciated a couple months of steam after the running gear and before the boiler work, if things had worked out that way so no criticism is due on that account.

A 5 year extension request was probably a huge overreach...maybe ask for whatever the FRA deems appropriate to allow...or maybe a year or so but since the firebox wasn't going to cooperate for a return to service anyway, this too is moot.

Steve