It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Frisco 1630 steams.....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:19 pm 

So what is happening with the 428, if I recall right her boiler is ready, what more is there to do before she is ready?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:09 pm 

More importantly, will the 428 be painted green?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:20 pm 

There's a bit of misunderstanding and/or misinformation in Steve's post that I would like to respond to.

southern154 wrote:
So wasn't it 2009 that the running gear & ashpan work was completed, the boiler time was almost up, and the FRA denied the waiver?

SLSF1630's rear driver was reinstalled in July of 2010. Her "tube time" was "up" in 2011 - July if I recall correctly. The extension was sought because we wanted to be able to operate SLSF 1630 thru the entire 2011 season, rather than just the first half of the season. We hoped we could get a longer extension because of the long "out-of-service" time. More on the waiver below.

filmteknik wrote:
As I recall the FRA wanted an inspection and hydro just to go back in service on the remaining boiler time

The inspections mentioned weren't wanted by the FRA. Instead, Part 230 requires various inspectionss, depending on the number of "days of service" and/or the number of calendar days since previous inspections. SLSF 1630 was due to undergo some of those inspections by the calendar days criteria and could not be put into service until those inspections were performed and passed satisfactorily.

Our FRA MPE inspector requested to be present when some of the required tests and inspections were performed. We scheduled our work to align with his schedule.

During those some of those inspections, we found issues which needed to be addressed. And before we could resolve them all, we found that SLSF 1630 needed a firebox corner patch. We were unable to address all of these issues to allow us to place SLSF 1630 in service before the tube time was up in 2011.

filmteknik wrote:
A 5 year extension request was probably a huge overreach...maybe ask for whatever the FRA deems appropriate to allow...or maybe a year or so but since the firebox wasn't going to cooperate for a return to service anyway, this too is moot.

The tube time waiver was requested during this time. When we were preparing our waiver submission we learned that a regulator is unlikely to sign-off on something that is "open-ended" or "vaguely defined". This led to the actual the waiver request asking for 5 years from the current date, or, alternately, until the end of October 2011 if a 5 year extension was not acceptable. In other words, the waiver request asked for a long-shot, but also requested a more-likely alternative as our back-up plan.

When it was determined that the we could not resolve the firebox corner issue, we requested withdrawal of the SLSF 1630 tube-time waiver. We then began the 1472-day inspection work in parallel with the corner patch.

That's what I remember of the recent history. I am personally very comfortable with the amount of work done in parallel, since we cannot fix something that we don't know is broken. Perhaps if we had more knowledge of methods to identify potential problems, as well as the required materials and personnel to apply those methods, some of our hurdles could have been avoided.

Regards,
Bob Milhaupt
Occasional Steam Department volunteer
Illinois Railway Museum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 pm 

southern154 wrote:
So what is happening with the 428, if I recall right her boiler is ready, what more is there to do before she is ready?

UP 428 (Baldwin 2-8-0, 1901) has been under restoration for something like 30 years. Once focus shifts away from SLSF 1630, it sounds like 428 will become a primary focus in the Steam Department. The boiler work is "done". Quite a bit of metal work has been completed on the tender. There's lots of running gear work to be done, plus just about anything else one can think of that is required to bring a steamer out of retirement. And throw in some shop eqiupment restoration to enable some of that work.

Bob Milhaupt
Occasional Steam Department volunteer
Illinois Railway Museum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:54 pm 

Thank you for the clarifications. Will the Shay be ready to go once the boiler work is completed and tested/inspected?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 am 

filmteknik wrote:
Will the Shay be ready to go once the boiler work is completed and tested/inspected?

I am not very knowledgable with respect to the work required on J. Neils Lumber Co 5 (Lima 3-truck shay, 1929). The primary issue I know of is the ongoing boiler work. If I recall correctly, there's some spring replacement being done on at least one truck.

Bob Milhaupt
Occasional Steam Department Volunteer
Illinois Railway Museum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:08 pm 

There is a history of the 1630 in Issues 162 and 163 of the IRM newsletter Rail & Wire. Interestingly this engine, as USRA 1147, was leased to the Pennsylvania Lines West from 1918 to 1920. So now there is (sort of) another Pennsy steam engine in service!

Back issues of Rail & Wire are on line and are linked from the IRM Home Page. Here is the link to Issue 162
http://www.irm.org/railwire/rw162.html? ... &issue=162

Peter Schmidt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:03 pm 

Here is another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQUZy7TXcI

This was taken on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:03 pm 

Some of the timings suggested here are inaccurate.

Actually think we have done a great deal better than suggested on the 15 year inspection.

The work on the rear axle was completed late in 2010 and it was during the preparatory work for the season in April 2011 that the firebox corner crack was detected. So the 15 year inspection work was started in May 2011. A major effort by an all volunteer team to turn this around in 2 1/2 years.

The concept of an application for a 5 year extension or waiver is a little off the mark. The previous 15 year expired in July 2011. The objective was to run in early 2011 to test the rear axle work. Had she been in steam, there was some possibility that a waiver to run beyond that date might have been considered. That would have been discretionary and I am not aware that 5 years was ever suggested.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:24 pm 

Correction in my previous post.

Looking at Bob's comments reminds me. It was necessary in 2011 to put in an application in order that discretion could be considered. Since any discretionary extension can be shorter but not longer than that requested, 5 years was requested.