It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steam restoration for the Doe River Gorge
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:48 am 

Quote:
I hope that answers your question, but if you know of two 3' gauge passenger cars, we would love to have them!

Not all too far from you are two OR&W cars, a combination and a coach/parlor. I had made mention of them some time back at NGDF but that information was of low interest at the discussion group. At least, when compared to talking about paint jobs of western narrow gauge tourist railroads.
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,181377,181924#msg-181924
Perhaps you are interested in these two preservable bodies. A caboose is in the region as well, but has received attention from time to time.

There is also a combination from one of the Pennsylvania roads, Tionesta Valley I think. It is owned by several FEBT members and in a barn somewhere, but no active hope for preservation I had heard, otherwise. Orbisonians are not supportive of bringing it there, last I heard. I bet this car inspired Bob Richardson to preserve the Colorado narrow gauge when he got the chance.

The fully restored/refabricated/replicated coach from IRM's recent bequest is also available. The savings there is in the time and restoration, but the acquisition price is not low. Link to sale below:
http://www.trains-trams-trolleys.com/home/3022.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 am 

Actually I think the privite coach that IRM has should got to the Tweeties Railroad to go with Coach 5

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 pm 

Thanks for the reminder about the OR&W coaches. I am well aware of them, but I believe the combine has been moved somewhere for restoration. Coach #5 (and the nearby boxcar, also in good condition) would be great, but the gorge does not have the cubic bucks needed to purchase them, or the other car you mentioned. Unfortunately, we are a bunch of volunteers, and we have limited funds available. What funds we have usually go into mantenance of track & equipment.

I suppose I should be more clear in my comment... if you know of 3' gauge coaches and/or a small diesel or steam locomotive, AND someone who can purchase AND donate them to the Gorge, we would greatly appreciate it! Unfortunately, I also realize that just about every museum out there is in the same position. We are not a museum, so we focus on our very limited funds & operations on a deeply historic line with incredible scenery! We DO have an appreciation for the historical nature of the line through the gorge, and would love to have some original equipment to operate on special occasions. For now, we feel blessed to have a couple of speeders & trailers, and a small train to operate when needed.

Matt:
While we would love to cross the bridge, go through the tunnel, and cross the next bridge (all within a few hundred yards of each other), that will have to wait for someone with cubic bucks! Until then, we focus on maintaining what we have, & slowly adding a few improvements when possible. Volunteers (and donations!) are always welcome, and the more we have, the sooner we will cross the bridge!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 pm 

So will there, is there soon or in time to be steam in the Doe River Gorge.
What about trucking tweetsie 12 up there for a weekend or two (duck and run).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:20 am 

Actually, there was some discussion in some circles some time back, probably in jest only, of getting 12 trucked up to the gorge for a year. I couldn't imagine what it'd be like, seeing real ET&WNC steam in the gorge again, but I'd have walked back to Tennessee for even the chance to see that.
They just did their annual anniversary of the end of the ET&WNC runs in the gorge. For those who make such a big deal of the D&RGW, I suggest a visit to Hampton, TN to see how amazing 3-footer railroading was east of the Mississippi.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:11 am 

As great a thought as it is, I am not sure how soon steam will/can return to DRG. I would certainly not bet on #12 being there anytime soon.

However, the SE Narrow Gauge & Shortline Museum is working on returning an authentic piece of ET&WNC "motive" power to the gorge in 2014.

[img]

Attachment:
e256-11.jpg
e256-11.jpg [ 136.95 KiB | Viewed 6669 times ]

[/img]

We've been restoring ET&WNC #1 for the past 3 years as time and funds have allowed, and we are now nearing the completion of the car. We have renewed the wheels, rebuilt the motor, the rear end, the transmission, and re-gauged it back from its 1950 standard gauge conversion. With any luck, the project will finish this summer, 2014.

We are very fortunate to have a gifted mechanic heading this project up. The motor car is based on a Ford engine and transmission, with an ingenious homemade gear box that will allow the car to run forward or backward in equal speeds relative to any transmission setting.

Here is a You-Tube video of the "Hobbs Box", named for Clarence Hobbs, the ETWNC mechanic who designed and built the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3EYDWibIgE

Matt Bumgarner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:33 pm 

Thanks, Matt B.! We will certainly welcome ET&WNC Motor Car #1 back in the Gorge when she is finished - it will be a great celebration!

As for #12, it is currently wishful thinking, as we would have to add another 1500 ties to what we currently have in the first 1.5 miles to make that possible! And in order to reach the deck truss bridge/tunnel #4/through truss bridge combination, we would need another 3000+ ties at least! As mentioned above, volunteers & much money is "all" that is needed to make this happen!

Thanks for your interest - visitors are welcome to see what we have been doing! Please check in the gorge office to get permission to hike up the gorge, and you might even be able to ride one of the speeders if the timing is right!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:07 pm 

So I take it that the little "Hillbilly World" 0-4-0 I asked about beginning this post 3 years ago is no longer under restoration??

Where is the thing now anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 pm 

Phil Raynes wrote:
Thanks for your interest - visitors are welcome to see what we have been doing! Please check in the gorge office to get permission to hike up the gorge, and you might even be able to ride one of the speeders if the timing is right!
I have been up to the Gorge twice since 2000, and called ahead each time. I've been lucky enough to have people around to take the speeder up as far as you can go (couldn't get to any of the bridges/tunnels at the top of the grade). The people who run this place are amazing. They completely understand the fans, when they don't really have to if they didn't want to (it's a Christian Camp, not a RR museum or tourist operation, as their primary role). I've always made a point of making a halfway decent donation each time. The next time I fina myself in the area, I plan on going again.
Such a great group of people there, wish I didn't live on the other side of the country so i could get there far more often than have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:56 pm 

Boilerwash wrote: "Where is the thing now anyway?"

It is my understanding that the chassis is stored outside behind the Tweetsie shops, waiting for further restoration progress by the owner. The boiler (an unusual and very poor rebuild job) was scrapped, but a few reusable parts were saved. The trucks from the tender (which I believe are very early D&RG short arch bar trucks) currently reside under the cosmetically restored ET&WNC boxcar (incorrectly numbered #434) at the Chamber of Commerce display under roof with the fireless loco & Southern caboose.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 am 

p51 wrote: "I have been up to the Gorge twice since 2000, and called ahead each time. I've been lucky enough to have people around to take the speeder up as far as you can go (couldn't get to any of the bridges/tunnels at the top of the grade)."

Currently, speeders can reach the first bridge (unless more rocks have fallen in the cut immediately prior to the bridge since I was there a couple of weeks ago). I agree with his assessment of the staff's attitude; unless there is an event in progress, they are usually very accommodating. If you call ahead, arrangements can usually be made for a ride, and even larger parties (around 40) can be handled on a speeder and two trailers. You can even "charter" a train ride if enough lead time is given (although it cannot go as far as the speeders)! Dress for the weather, though, as all the trailers are open, and the gorge usually feels 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding area! One Fairmont A-4 speeder is enclosed. I'll be heading down again in a week or two to do more trackwork & car repairs (currently preparing to place a rebuilt arch bar truck under one of the passenger cars - see website for photos: http://www.doerivergorge.com/railroad/maintenance.php ).