It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dearborn - Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm 

Saw a photo in the November 2013 issue of NEWS & TIMETABLES put out by the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society which featured a current photo of the old Dearborn Station in Chicago. Photo shows scaffolding around the clock tower. Now this is probably just a tuck pointing job but I wondered if perhaps the clock tower was getting its peaked roof re-installed. At one time, Dearborn had a fourth story with peaked roofs, and the clock tower also had a very steep peaked roof. A fire (I don't recall the year; maybe 1910's?) took off the fourth story and the roof of the clock tower, and the remaining 3 stories and the top of the tower, now just have flat roofs. Unlike the other wonderful downtown Chicago terminals, the Dearborn station/headhouse still exists with homes/condo's being built where the old train shed and station tracks were located. I believe that there are various businesses in the old station so a restoration of the peaked roof of the clock tower, might make sense from an aesthetic point of view. I am 99.9% certain that it isn't what they are doing, but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Les

Post subject: Re: Dearborn - Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Saw a photo in the November 2013 issue of NEWS & TIMETABLES put out by the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society which featured a current photo of the old Dearborn Station in Chicago. Photo shows scaffolding around the clock tower. Now this is probably just a tuck pointing job but I wondered if perhaps the clock tower was getting its peaked roof re-installed. At one time, Dearborn had a fourth story with peaked roofs, and the clock tower also had a very steep peaked roof. A fire (I don't recall the year; maybe 1910's?) took off the fourth story and the roof of the clock tower, and the remaining 3 stories and the top of the tower, now just have flat roofs. Unlike the other wonderful downtown Chicago terminals, the Dearborn station/headhouse still exists with homes/condo's being built where the old train shed and station tracks were located. I believe that there are various businesses in the old station so a restoration of the peaked roof of the clock tower, might make sense from an aesthetic point of view. I am 99.9% certain that it isn't what they are doing, but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Les

Did a bit of checking and found out that the fire mentioned above was in 1922. Here is a website which shows the original configuration of Dearborn, a shot of the train shed being torn down, and how Dearborn appears today:

http://www.southloophistory.org/buildin ... tation.htm

I apologize for not having this in the original message.

Les