It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SANTA STEAM TRAIN RIDES AT MINERSVILLE, PA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:06 pm 

Santa Claus steam train rides will be held on Saturday, November 30, at Minersville, PA. They will be sponsored by Project 113 in conjunction with the Reading and Northern Railroad. Both Reading and Northern 425 and Jersey Central 113 will be under steam. Price for adults is $12.00 and children $9.00. With each paying adult fare, one child's ticket will be complementary.

Trains will depart at 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 3:00 PM and seating is limited. Reservations for advanced sale tickets are strongly suggested. Only a limited number of tickets will be sold on the day of the event. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Minersville station at 570-544-8300. Santa will be on the train.

Post subject: Re: SANTA STEAM TRAIN RIDES AT MINERSVILLE, PA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:31 pm 

That's awesome! Glad to hear you'll have tracks and authority to run #113!

It IS gonna be a very merry Christmas.

Question - what's running where?

Double-header - engines in different directions, one for excursion, the other to stare and admire?

Thanks for the heads up!

/Mitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:43 pm 

Interesting. Where indeed are the trips running to? I work for the railroad and I have to find out about this stuff on RYPN!

We'll be in Tamaqua on December 7th as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:43 pm 

Very nice! Hopefully I can make a trip up there to see them both, and it'd be a great way to celebrate my birthday (my birthday is Black Friday), being a fan of both 425 and the only operable CNJ steam locomotive. I'm curious as to where they're going to be running to... and thank you very much for the heads up!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 pm 

As of this morning, it is not yet decided if the Minersville event will be with the 425 or diesels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 pm 

Any updates?

I'm asking publicly as I think a lot of folks would like to be clued in on the details of this event next Saturday on November 30th. The more folks who know, the better the turnout.

As an FYI - there now seems to be a Facebook page - fan page (not official):
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Central- ... 4995049093

This was one of the messages:

Update!!
It has been confirm that 113 and 425 will be double heading from Cressona to Minersville , on all three trips. A diesels will pull the train down and the two steamers will pull UP GRADE!! 1.3% this will be an 8 car train.

Now I was also told by some women that they might have a night photo shoot in the night hours too.

See you there.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 am 

Mitch,

The FB page you mentioned is owned by a person with multiple internet personality disorder who was pretending to be a #113 volunteer. It is not official. After he was found out he took the page down for a few days and removed all of the phony posts claiming to be a volunteer then put it back up as a fan page. This person needs some serious help. Don't put any value in what you see there.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 am 

tomgears wrote:
Mitch,

The FB page you mentioned is owned by a person with multiple internet personality disorder.

Aw, that's a darn shane.

Still, updates welcome.

Hopefully, the crew can find someone reliable to run a true site - Web or FB that will provide timely info, photos and a means to leave donations.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 pm 

I agree with Tom Gears about the 113 Facebook page, and all those confirmed statements are pure speculation. The position and use of the locomotives has yet to be determined by Bob and the R & N Railroad and the only way to be sure is to see what happens on the day of the event. My experience has shown me that nothing is carved in stone until it happens. Just the availability of certified crew members could determine just what happens.

People have offered to work on a web page or a Facebook page but for some reason or another, none of this has come to fruition.

All donations to Project 113 can be sent to 113 East Sunbury Street, Minersville, PA, 17954 and be noted as such. Generally Bob is around to answer questions during the week, or leave a message on the answering machine---570-544-8300. It takes a lot of money to keep 113 running.

Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:36 pm 

Jeff Lisowski wrote:
tomgears wrote:
The FB page you mentioned is owned by a person with multiple internet personality disorder

Not to drift off topic, but I wonder if half of the people that post on FB under certain pages or groups are him. There seems to be a lot of people who post their full name, I.E; Jeff A. Lisowski or Bob B. Bobbys Jr.

And the "we were asked to post this" gets me every time. Hahaha

Jeff -

You gave me a bit of a start with this post. I had an uncle who died over 50 years ago whose name was Bob Bobby. Interesting choice of a name that you probably picked out of thin air as an example!

Les

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:55 pm 

I know we keep drifting further off topic, but this Facebook group is a legit fan group and has never claimed to be more than that. I was one of the first members, so I can attest to this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/583567538357943/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:40 pm 

Confirmed on Monday, we will be operating the 425 on November 30th out of Minersville, at this point with the CNJ 113 doubleheaded on 3 round trips at 11am, 1pm & 3pm to West Cressona. This will be about a 12 mile round trip. The locomotives will be on the north end of the train and a diesel on the south end of the train. This will eliminate run around moves at either end of the trip. This line is basically river grade (and Class 1, 10mph max.) with some slight upgrade sections northbound. There is nothing even close to a 1.3% grade on this line except up towards the New St. Nick breaker and we are not going that far. As always everything is subject to change, but it sounds pretty good that this game plan will stand. Come see us!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 pm 

As of today, the three trips have been sold out. If the railroad adds another car, I will announce it here.

Bern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 pm 

No more cars are to be added to the train. No tickets will be sold the day of the trips.

Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:40 am 

RBMN-ENGR. wrote:
Confirmed on Monday, we will be operating the 425 on November 30th out of Minersville... Come see us!

Have been asked a question with an answer that I assume would be of interest to many:

When is R&N #425 departing Port Clinton?

And, Bernie - why not add a car? Logistics issue? Shame to leave money on the table, so to speak, course safe to assume another car is not as simple as just adding another car.

Hope to make it, though a prior commitment might make it impossible.

/Mitch