It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&NW 1385 On The Move
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 pm 

Within the last week the rebuilt tender for C&NW 1385 arrived in North Freedom and the running gear was moved about 35 miles to a machine shop for the next phase of the rebuild.
One news story on the tender and an update on the running gear move can be seen at http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Ste ... 57911.html and further videos & details can be had at our website of http://www.midcontinent.org .
mld

Post subject: Re: C&NW 1385 On The Move
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:42 pm 

I see its also being converted to an 0-4-0 :P

I can't wait to see it in action, I always have a soft spot for the Mid Continent, I got my first cab ride there. Now I spend every day in the cab.

Post subject: Re: C&NW 1385 On The Move
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:05 pm 

Believe me, that conversion wasn't by choice. Due to various logistical curve balls we ended up with a crane lift. On the day of the pick, the operator quit lifting at 84000 lbs and the running gear hadn't budged from the rails yet. They dropped the front truck and the operator stopped again at 79k without lifting off. The #3 rods & driver were dropped and the lift was made at about 72-74k. The truck & driver came in at 10k apiece.

If you look at the time lapse of the lift on the MCRM website you'll see quite a crew of folks that worked very hard on a miserable day to make this happen.

We'll work to keep you posted as we bring the Big R-1 back from too long a slumber.
mld