It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's on your (or your organization's) Christmas List?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:42 pm 

I'd like to try something new. I'd like to have people post a 'wish list' for themselves or their organization (please be specific which one it is and if it's a non-profit) and perhaps we can help some of eachother's needs come to fruition. We've found that often someone won't make a monetary donation, but might have a piece of material that they'd be willing to part with that could make a big difference to another organization. (For instance, group 'A' has a need of a new pair of trolley poles and group 'B' has a huge stock of them. Perhaps B donates to A or maybe there's something A has that B wants so they arrange a swap. See what I mean? (Also, don't say 'funds' we all need money, so that's a given!)

Here's the Christmas Wish List for the Conrail Historical Society:
-350 track feet of rail (and size above 85#)
- OTM for the above rail
- #6 switch parts
- former Conrail boxcar (to be used as a tool car, eventually for restoration)
- Oxygen & Acetlyne cylinders (#4 or larger, preferably)
- Tool chest ( large, on wheels)
- 400 (or any qty) relay grade ties
- 100# Propane tank

Contact Russ Swinnerton at Russ.Swinnerton@TheCRHS.org about these items!

What could Santa bring you?

Post subject: Re: What's on your (or your organization's) Christmas List?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:17 pm 

I think you would be better off using propane for a cutting torch instead of acetylene. Much easier to obtain, and you can use a 25 lb. propane bottle (stolen from your grill if need be). You just have to change out the tips. Propane tips are two piece while acetylene tips are one piece. There is some talk about acetylene being "hotter" than propane, but I've cut through 5" thick steel plates with a propane torch no problem.

I could hook you up with cutting torches, hoses and regulators and maybe even a propane cylinder. My 277 cu. ft. oxygen bottles are like part of the family and won't part with any though.

Youngstown Steel Heritage has a rather short Christmas list. We need a metal cutting band saw that can cut at least 8" channel. That's it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:38 pm 

New Hope Valley RR (www.triangletrain.com) a 501C3 is working on bringing Cliffside Railroad 110, a 50 ton Vulcan prairie, back to life. While stored she was pretty well stripped, so we need a LOT......the throttle valve was removed from the dome (we did find the spool), the turret in the cab was removed, the air compressor was gutted of all its internal components while the main castings remain.....so, we need just about anything that is a fitting or appliance for a small steam locomotive. Injectors are 7.5 /8, and we have a limited acquisition fund right now for parts but if you have things to spare we can specifically work towards raising funds to acquire them.

Charlotte Trolley Museum - another 501C3 - is in need of traction motors for car 85, a double truck Birney clone running on Melbourne W class trucks. 35 to 50 HP would do nicely, but we're not picky. Gomaco retrofit the car to run on the modern light rail line, and the motors were since lost....but CTM has had no operation now for several years after the light rail become very successful. CTM is working on reactivation on another line now and needs to be ready to run hopefully within the next year.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:50 pm 

Dave,

Would a pair of GE GHM 839 traction motors work? I have an extra set off of an Atlas scale car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

Thanks Rick, PM on the way.

dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:25 am 

(Wishlist for various groups I support or follow)

Steamtown: to see 26 finally finished and to get a completion date for 3713.
Electric City Trolley Museum: to see work continue on SRC #505
ELDCPS: To see 469 painted in Lackawanna colors.

I know, the things on my list don't come cheap, but hey, a guy can dream.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:49 am 

The Hocking Valley Scenic Railway is in need of a bell and yoke as well as a whistle for our steam locomotive project. We could also use some machine tools.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:08 pm 

The WW&F in Alna, Maine is always looking for 60# rail and switches with which to extend our line (around the Christmas tree.)

We're also hoping Santa delivers a 2' gauge diesel - a small Plymouth or similar critter. We can even pick it up if it won't fit in his sleigh.

3/4 size couplers and related hardware make great stocking stuffers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:44 pm 

Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:

Mark, I am pleased to report that Scranton Transit (yes, originally Scranton Railway) 505 is steadily moving ahead. We are in fundraising mode right now but we have leased a warehouse space and will be cataloging and evaluating all parts over the winter. We also have a volunteer who is taking the original builders drawings from Osgood Bradley and entering them into a CAD program so that when the money is there for our structural pieces all we need to do is order.

After having the body shell evaluated by a metallurgist we are pretty confident that it is in better shape than it looks and we can save the majority of the side sheeting which is good news. We will probably begin the physical restoration work around this time next year; we want to build up enough in reserve funds so that we can still apply for matching grants during the resto which will probably take a minimum of three years.

We will have a better handle on our timeline and our budget once we get the parts inventoried. Most of them were removed from the car and put in storage in the 70s, so we are hoping that many are still in good shape.

Thanks for your interest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:56 pm 

Scranton505 wrote:
Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:

Mark, I am pleased to report that Scranton Transit (yes, originally Scranton Railway) 505 is steadily moving ahead. We are in fundraising mode right now but we have leased a warehouse space and will be cataloging and evaluating all parts over the winter. We also have a volunteer who is taking the original builders drawings from Osgood Bradley and entering them into a CAD program so that when the money is there for our structural pieces all we need to do is order.

After having the body shell evaluated by a metallurgist we are pretty confident that it is in better shape than it looks and we can save the majority of the side sheeting which is good news. We will probably begin the physical restoration work around this time next year; we want to build up enough in reserve funds so that we can still apply for matching grants during the resto which will probably take a minimum of three years.

We will have a better handle on our timeline and our budget once we get the parts inventoried. Most of them were removed from the car and put in storage in the 70s, so we are hoping that many are still in good shape.

Thanks for your interest.

Great to hear, thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:28 pm 

elecuyer wrote:
The WW&F in Alna, Maine is always looking for 60# rail and switches with which to extend our line (around the Christmas tree.)

At The Bluegrass Railroad Museum, in Versailles, KY, we have two gondolas of 60# rail, which has been eyeballed lately for it's scrap value. I'd much rather work something out with another organization than to destroy it.

If I remember correctly, it's maybe 1500 linear feet, so good for 750 feet of track. Just the rail, no joint bars or tie plates. It came from a nearby Army Depot, some years ago.

Perhaps something can be worked out, if the distance isn't too far (~1100 miles).

James

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:44 pm 

In response to Mr. Swinnerton, I know the location of 2 Conrail Boxcars.

In the Former PRR/PC/CR Youngwood yard, in Youngwood, PA, There is a former Conrail 50ft X58 Rib-Sided Boxcar,(CR 368117) and a 60ft X61B Smoothsided boxcar(CR 279139) used as storage. The owners are most likely Buncher Railcar Services. Buncher is a refubisher/scrapper of railcars, but these boxcars are definitely utilized for storage.

In addition, for any intrested parties, they have a former BN/WFE Reefer(BN 745959) utilized for storage as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:22 pm 

Re: 60# rail in Kentucky.

What is the overall condition?
What are the markings on the rail?
Bolt hole spacings?
4 or 6 bolt drilling?
Thanks.
Curious in Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:50 pm 

We'd love a Melbourne W-2 or a vintage Dallas Birney car.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 pm 

I'll trade you a Dallas Birney for your Fort Worth Birney.

NTHT, Inc./ TTCo is looking for a building or some real estate. If anyone has some in the North Texas area, let me know.

We also have 2 Tandy subway cars free for the taking.