It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just spoke to Joe Kovalchick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 am 

I called Kovalchick this morning to inquire about EBT hopper parts- trucks,couplers, brake rigging.

Comments included:

a) He is in no hurry to move the cars
b) He is interested in selling couplers & brake parts
c) His plan is to put the trucks in car bodies, haul them off-site, and scrap the bodies and hold onto the trucks for the international market.
d) Regarding pricing, forget about scrap pricing on the trucks. See (c) above. He also would not name me a price on couplers, brake cylinders, valves, and brake wheels. Said he would get back to me.

Take this info for what it is worth.

Thanks

Matt Bumgarner
Alexander Chapter-NRHS
SE Narrow Gauge & Shortline Museum

Post subject: Re: Just spoke to Joe Kovalchick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 am 

Well, I guess that settles that. The rumors and BS that fluttered around all weekend are so much wasted bandwidth. Even a message I received from a former EBT employee regarding the equipment at Mount Union turns out to be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:15 am 

Off hand, how many 36" operations are there worldwide that would be interested in plain bearing trucks? I know most of Africa is Cape gauge (42") but elsewhere? I know South America has large quantities of 36" routes, but suspect most of that is now using roller bearings.

Could the truck sideframes from the EBT hoppers be upgraded to roller bearings? Given their age, would these be a better deal than new product, or have casting technologies improved to where the new product would be a slam dunk purchase?

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:24 am 

no comment as to why, after so many years he is destroying this piece of history? :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:17 pm 

With the sale and Scrapping of ETB equipment, does this spell the end for FEBT or the EAST BROAD TOP RAILROAD?

Mr. Starr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 pm 

CountryAcres wrote:
no comment as to why, after so many years he is destroying this piece of history? :(

One could argue the destruction of EBT history has been happening for 40+ years, albeit mostly slowly and through benevolent neglect.

The EBT, despite what our hearts believe, was not suspended in time... it was left to the ravages of it. Equipment was sold off, buildings collapsed/burned and nature slowly progressed in destroying everything that wasn't being cared for. If one's goal was to preserve every piece of the EBT in situ as it was at the end of freight ops, that was a goal rendered impossible decades ago.

What remains is somewhat random. The Aughwick Creek bridge survives and the Saltillo tank does not because it is easier for nature (and arsonists) to destroy wood than concrete. The roll-up doors at the tunnel portals are rusted beyond restoration. There is no Timber Transfer anymore, that came down in the '70's. 0-6-0 #6 was sold off then, too. And so on and so on...

The miracle, one could say, is that the Rockhill site remains fairly intact. It is a national treasure. Perhaps the concern over the possible loss of hoppers in the woods at MU will focus some more effort and dollars on preserving the shops and the equipment at Rockhill?

30 years ago I dreamed of a completely restored EBT and a ride up the mountain to Robertsdale. Now, I will gladly trade that dream for something --- almost anything --- that preserves the magic at Rockhill for the long-haul.

I don't want to see the hoppers scrapped, but there are bigger fish to fry in terms of saving the EBT.

This is just one person's opinion, and I respectfully acknowledge that many of my friends and peers have a different perspective.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:22 pm 

CountryAcres wrote:

Have you seen those hoppers lately?

I was at the EBT a few years ago for the TRAIN convention. I did not see the cars in Mount Union. I did see the ones in the yard in Orbisonia.

What destroyed this piece of history is sitting out in the rain and snow for over 50 years. Coal is hard on metal, and they are badly rusted. I have a photo of one that looks like metal moths attacked it.

Also, let's be honest here. What are you going to do with them all? 20 of them would make a photo freight that looked amazing. What do you do with 100 or however many there are?

Last edited by Bobharbison on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:23 pm 

Mr.Starr wrote:
With the sale and Scrapping of ETB equipment, does this spell the end for FEBT or the EAST BROAD TOP RAILROAD?

Mr. Starr

No, not at all!

The Orbisonia yard will survive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:20 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
CountryAcres wrote:

Have you seen those hoppers lately?

...let's be honest here. What are you going to do with them all? 20 of them would make a photo freight that looked amazing. What do you do with 100 or however many there are?

You leave them - exactly as they stand. Or, you stabilize some or all to prevent further deterioration. The MAGIC of the location is that it does in fact look lost to time. A time machine needing nothing more then to step out of your car (or a tour bus) into what could be a national or state protected historical monument /park.

As for focusing our efforts at Orbisonia - I think what the outcry is about is being witness to seeing these pieces disappear in realtime - in front of our eyes. If it were all being scrapped, the focus would be on Rockhill, but the urgency is on Mount Union as it is that collection in the process of immediate destruction. Things can deteriorate over time but once it's gone, it's gone forever.

I applaud Joe for keeping the collection around and have often pondered why, and now, even more so - why now after so many years, destroy it? The smallest of state grants (far less then a frog study or a high speed maglev airport study - or even a new traffic light) would likely cover the collection so important to the history of America, Mount Union, railroading and future generations to come.

I'm not well versed in raising funds, nor connected well enough to pull some strings, nor would a donation I alone can afford likely make a big difference in regards to the Mount Union yard and it's collection (though I'd be willing to be part of a pool in it's name). Consequently, my greatest contribution to the effort is simply to better publicize what's at stake hoping to inspire others with the means and experience to make a difference.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:10 pm 

CountryAcres wrote:

Does it really matter? As to why now, that's easy. He sold the land (but not the cars) to someone who apparently has other plans for it. No brainier to scrap the cars since he's been unable to sell them. Perhaps a retirement fund.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:37 pm 

please tell me he's not gonna scrap the 0-6-0 in mt union... :/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:00 pm 

Yes, what about the steam engine?

And the boxcars/tankcars? Is there a flat car?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:07 pm 

There's also a Standard Gauge scale test car in Mt. Union, and a Narrow Gauge version somewhere. Some of the steel box cars were used as Box/tank cars to haul drinking or washing water, so they may be a bit rusty inside.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:22 pm 

^I hope those cars can be trucked to Oribisonia and be cared by the Friends of the EBT.