It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steamtown's interim leader
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:38 pm 

The Northeast Regional Director of the National Park Service (NPS) has appointed Bill Leonard as the Acting Superintendent of the Steamtown National Historic Site. Bill’s permanent position is Deputy Superintendent of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (DEWA). He joined the NPS at DEWA as the park engineer in December 2001 and has also served as Chief of Maintenance and the Chief of Strategic Planning and Project Management Office.

Before coming to the NPS, he worked at Tobyhanna Army Depot for 19 years, most recently as the Facilities Engineer. He is a Registered Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Mr. Leonard is a 1978 graduate of Penn State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. His high school Alma mater is Pocono Central Catholic School.

Bill’s hobbies include hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities, including an annual ice harvest on Millpond #1 in Tobyhanna, which his family and friends have held each year since 1994.

Bill was born in Scranton and lives in Tobyhanna with his wife Diane and dog Teddy.

Post subject: Re: Steamtown's interim leader
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 pm 

Bill started at Steamtown on December 23, just over a week after the untimely death of Kip Hagen. He told me he looks forward to the opportunity. We wish him the best of luck in taking on this position and where it will lead this NPS unit in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 pm 

An engineer (and a Penn Stater, too boot). This could be an excellent development.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 pm 

Hmm... I guess once 3713 gets up and running that the Ice Harvest trains will return as well :D Anyway, I send my welcomes to Mr. Leonard that he is successful in his duties as Superintendent.