It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6-N blanking covers now available for 26-FNL conversion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:25 pm 

Can anyone direct me to a reasonable source for Wabtec p/n 562064 blanking covers, as used on a 6-N distributing valve? This is the cover with ports 2A and 2B, NOT connected internally. I need at least three for a 26-FNL conversion project.

Thanks-

E. D. Moxley
Amsterdam Leasing

Last edited by EDM on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: 6-N blanking covers available for 26-FNL conversion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:14 am 

Well, after two weeks and emails to some of the suppliers, I'm not too much closer to an answer here. One supplier emailed me that he has them made at a machine shop, but as yet hasn't answered my request for a price. Another told me that the part is obsolete, and that the number is wrong. Funny, I pulled the number off a Wabco parts list. Since I have access to a pair of Bridgeports at work, I guess I'm making my own, unless anyone has any other ideas. I hate to make something that you can buy-

Last edited by EDM on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 6-N blanking covers available
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 pm 

I bit the bullet here and had a run of these blanking covers made at a local CNC shop. I have a few extras for sale. I can also get more made if anyone is interested.

In case anyone is not aware of it, there plates are part of the 26-FNL system (see the 1980 'Cyc). This system allows upgrading something like a switcher with 6 or 14 air by putting a 26 brake stand in the cab, and with a minumum of pipefitting.

Please contact me by PM for more information.

E. D. Moxley
Amsterdam Leasing

Post subject: Re: 6-N blanking covers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm 

Can you post a photo of the parts?

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

Post subject: Re: 6-N blanking covers now available for 26-FNL conversion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:28 pm 

I'm bumping this up to the top, as I still have a few of the blanking covers available. I also have the drawing and connections with a good CNC shop, if anyone needs more than a few of these. These fit on a 6NR valve, and have ports 2A and 2B. The entire system is shown in an NYAB ad in the '80 Loco 'Cyc.

EDM
ALGX

Post subject: Re: 6-N blanking covers now available for 26-FNL conversion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:53 pm 

EDM, way to do it yourself.

I am going to be replicating the basic 6ET parts (and a few 8et and an even fewer 14el and others) some day. I build in 2/3 scale/66% and in 5/12 scale/41.7% scale.

I know I want to be able to convert to a 3-pipe system also, just incase I need to run some of the more modern brake valves in my cabs, as I have a 1982 (2/3 scale) diesel to build that has 26 brakes in it, I'd like to use some of the 6et/14el parts with some of the later brake valves to get that one working.

Did you happen to find an old plate to use, or maybe you found a drawing for that part and made it "print perfect", or did you just measure it and get it really close/close enough?

I ask because I need to follow your project some day, so can you help me with info about how you did yours? I'm planning to undertake the same project you did, just with a slightly smaller part scale as the end result.

Also, was that the part often referred to as the "Golden Plate" by others on this forum?

I'm gald to see you completed that project, some of the guys one here act like it would kill them to start something like you just completed. Its good for them to see someone start and finnish a mfg'ing project like yours. Maybe it will get them into gear and result in some productivity.

Thanks,

David

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

Post subject: Re: 6-N blanking covers, AKA 'Magic Plates', now available
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:30 pm 

David,

The 26-FNL conversion is but a small part of a project that will see four former Long Island Alco head end power cars returned to locomotive status. We decided to convert from 24 to 26 air, and the shortline that is hosting us has several GP-9s that were converted from 6 to 26-FNL, so we had good examples to copy.

I don't have a scanner nor have photos to post, but the basic 26-FNL system, drawings and photos, is in the NYAB section of the '80 Loco 'Cyc. The 'Magic Plate' is what I'm offering. If you look at a 6N, oriented properly, not upside down, there is a blanking plate on the left side of the valve. The 'Magic Plate' replaces the blanking plate and provides two neccessary additional ports (2A and 2B).

I had a good sample, and a mechanical engineer friend (and former co-worker) made a good drawing and did a run for me in his shop. This was after several suppliers told me that the part was unavailable or that the part number (from Wabtec parts listings) was incorrect.

Hope this helps-

EDM