It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lord Baltimore Truck Design
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17 pm 

I am looking for history and design details for the Lord Baltimore truck frame used on single truck streetcars.

Thanks!

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Lord Baltimore Truck Design
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:01 pm 

Sorry - went through all the old stuff in my stacks and came up empty. Where were these trucks popular?

dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:00 pm 

The Lord Baltimore truck was used on single truck cars in Baltimore and Washington built by various builders in the late 1890s.

Here is an image of CTCo 303 showing the side frame design.

http://amhistory.si.edu/onthemove/collection/image_631.html

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:20 pm 

Do you have access to E. Harper Charleton's Electric Railway Trucks booklet? You will probably find it listed in there,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 pm 

From Charlton's book "Electric Railway Car Trucks":

Quote:
BALTIMORE CAR WHEEL COMPANY - Baltimore, Maryland
This company was controlled by John M. Hansen of Standard Steel Company. It was acquired by the Bemis Car Box Company in 1916. It is best known for its Lord Baltimore single truck.

LORD BALTIMORE FOUR WHEEL TRUCK
This truck was originally built in 1896. Early versions had more prominent elliptical springs and motors supports. Also the pedestal springs were not visible. General design did not change materially over the years. Readily identifiable in its various forms by the distinctive side frames The Lord Baltimore should not be confused with the St. Louis No. 34-A.

There was also a predecessor to the Lord Baltimore built by BCW in the early 1890s, a Maximum Traction version of the Lord Baltimore built starting in 1898 and a standard two-axle bogie version built starting in 1900.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:40 pm 

Hi Wes.

What type of details are you needing? As you know, here at Baltimore we have quite a number of Lord Baltimore trucks, both single and maximum traction types.

I was with a small group who visited NCTM in December to discuss the truck swap between your 522 and our 1665. We get the 21E - you get the Lord Baltimore. Spoke with Ken Rucker at that time. I'm assuming that the inquiry you are making has to do with that swap.

Dave Wilson
Baltimore Streetcar Museum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:08 pm 

Dave,

My post relates to the proposed truck swap. I am looking for background on the Lord Baltimore trucks. ADM4 has not posted lately and I am hopeful he may have some info in the library.

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I know we have some info in the Library (I seem to recall an entire notebook or file folder on the subject), but 1) I'm dealing with a death in the family and 2) there's this snow and cold out there that's going to make getting down there a rhymes-with-witch tomorrow. If anyone shows up there tomorrow, it'll only be to "play with" the snowsweeper..... And I'm booked for a couple weekends for the time being....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:47 am 

Sandy,

Let me know what you can find on the subject when you are back in the library. Thx