It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Narrow Gauge Mining Railroads in the Anthracite Field
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm 

I have been interested in the mining narrow gauge railroads of the Northern Anthracite Field all my life, having seem many when I was a kid. Where can I find photos of them and the breakers in the area? I have already seen the Anthracite Railroad Historical Society's Archives and the Wanamie photos in the Underground Miner's site. There must be others. I also have copies of the two Morning Sun color books on the subject, contributing some photos to volume two.
Bernie

Post subject: Re: Narrow Gauge Mining Railroads in the Anthracite Field
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 am 

There is an article in one of the William S. Young magazines that covers Wanamie pretty well. I would also check the trade journal Coal Age, which they have at the Anthracite Heritage Museum in Scranton. Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and Hagley have Vulcan builder's photos, some of which were taken on site.

Post subject: Re: Narrow Gauge Mining Railroads in the Anthracite Field
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm 

Thanx for the information. The Anthracite Museum is only 45 minutes away and I was in that area last week to get metal for CNJ 113 at Nivert. RMPA would have to wait until this summer, although I just remembered I have a volunteer friend who just started helping down there who could possibly help (glad you mentioned it). Hagley would require a special trip although there is something else I would like to research there (CNJ Upper Lehigh branch valuation map). It's amazing how completely these railroads and equipment have disappeared with so little saved and preserved locally.

I was hoping I would find more on line because a few years ago I ran into some photos of lokeys taken in the Scranton area and lost track of how I did it.

Bernie