It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amherst Railway Society Show/ WW&FRY # 65
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 pm 

WW&FRY Turner Centre Dairy car # 65 a replica built of the original car in the winter of 2011/12 will be on display at the Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show, January 25 and 26 2014 in West Springfield MA. The car was built to be displayed on the Wiscasset ME waterfront and is open to the public during tourist season. Interior displays have information on the railroad and Wiscasset waterfront.

Loading the car up from the Wiscasset display track.

Pulling out on to US RT 1 and crossing the Maine Central Rockland branch in Wiscasset. Mike Fox photo.

Sitting in the parking lot at the museum after one of too many snow storms this year.

Some interior shots taken while prepping the car for its road trip to Springfield.

http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php

Post subject: Re: Amherst Railway Society Show/ WW&FRY # 65
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:19 pm 

Bumping this back to the top of the page. Hope some of you reading get to view the car in person.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 pm 

From the shameless commerce division of the WW&F:

Car 65 has successfully made the journey from Alna, Maine to West Springfield, Mass., a trip of approximately 250 miles. It will be displayed in the Mallory Building resting on original Kennebec Central rail. Inside are pictures and artifacts of its life in Maine.

Please visit if you're there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 pm 

I for one look forward to seeing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:49 pm 

It may not be an entire recreation. Those milk cans may be the actual ones from the original car, according to some tags on them, just like jacking up the whistle and building a museum piece under it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:20 pm 

Car 65 is off the trailer and setup in the Mallary Building.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:38 pm 

Looks great, guys. I think No. 65 will be the star of the show. I hope somebody get a good shot of it surrounded by the other exhibits.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 pm 

For those people who wonder why the WW&F is such a successful organization, it's because the people who make up the organization are aren't afraid to get dirty, do had work, and are eager to present the results in just his manner.

BTW, it's been single digits in Maine, and negative degrees windchill. What these guys pulled off has been difficult, uncomfortable work. Impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:32 am 

Looking forward to seeing #65 and more importantly meeting all you fine RYPN'ers if I can find all of you on Saturday morning!

I'll try to have a RailWorks ballcap on if I can find one today at the office. (Big surprise, huh?) If I can make up a name tag, I will as well so I can be ID'd. Looking forward to it. For those who have never attended this show, but have heard about it, it is hard to describe how large it really is. I was, no kidding, on overload, maxxed out, on sensory overload, the first time I attended a couple of years ago. I had no idea where to start and it is definitely a marathon to cover all of the buildings without having to take a break!

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:17 am 

Some pictures from today. The Amherst Railway Society show occupies 4 buildings at the Big E expo in West Springfield MA. Only 2/3 rds of the Mallery building are shown in the pictures.

From 65's roof. Car 65 spends it time on display outside normally so no roof walk to avoid leaks.

Some pictures from around the floor and the bleachers in the clinic area.

Some interior shots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 pm 

Walked through the car today at the show. What a wonderful exhibit/min-museum it makes. You guys did a wonderful job building it.

Off topic slightly: What is the deal with that tow vehicle? I bet that has a story of it's own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 pm 

Matt the truck is a 1988 GMC C6000 that was originally a 24' flatbed. The frame was shortened and a dually pickup bed installed. Makes for a heavy tow vehicle that can get into tight spaces. An ALCO Historical & Technical Society t shirt made the ride back to Maine in the cab.

Interior shot during the show. Every interior pic I took was out of focus and this is best I have.

The WW&FRY won a Heritage Award from the Amherst Railway Society for renovations to the Percival House on the museum campus. WW&FRY board member Zack Wyllie accepted the award from the Amherst Railway Society president during the presentations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 pm 

Quote:
Matt the truck is a 1988 GMC C6000 that was originally a 24' flatbed. The frame was shortened and a dually pickup bed installed. Makes for a heavy tow vehicle that can get into tight spaces. An ALCO Historical & Technical Society t shirt made the ride back to Maine in the cab.

Thanks for the explanation. That truck looks awesome. Probably not the smoothest ride but who cares when you are towing real railroad equipment down the road. And thanks for the support!!! In the sake of full disclosure, a framed print of WW&F #9 on the Wiscasset water front has been hanging on my wall for six or seven years. I can't wait to visit the museum some day. Heck, I'd just like to get back to visit the state of Maine. Hard to believe it's been 16 years since I've been to Wiscasset.