It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Existing crosshead pumps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm 

Does anyone know how many locomotives in America have and use crosshead pumps and how many are vintage and how many are new or of recent manufacture?

Post subject: Re: Existing crosshead pumps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:41 pm 

The 4-4-0s at Golden Spike, 1970s reproductions have each at least one crosshead feadwater pump. I know the 119 also has a new manufacture Strasburg Railroad injector, based on the Sellers injector.

I don't know of Kloke's Levithian or the York have the pumps or just injectors.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 pm 

Relevant area of Leviathan. Possibly cosmetic only. If it's a working unit, I believe it is not in use. Others will know more.

Attachments:
IMG_3698m.jpg
IMG_3698m.jpg [ 153.97 KiB | Viewed 9540 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:50 pm 

GENERAL still has the crosshead pumps, although an injector was added in the 1961 rebuild.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:56 pm 

The pumps on Klokes engine, Leviathan, and the pumps on the York are dummys. I don't know about Promontory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:32 pm 

The steam locomotives from Mexico at Walt Disney World are supposed to have working crosshead pumps, original to the locomotives at that. One wonders why a Mexican road would have ordered these at the late dates of construction of these engines (ca. 1900-1920).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:34 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
The steam locomotives from Mexico at Walt Disney World are supposed to have working crosshead pumps, original to the locomotives at that. One wonders why a Mexican road would have ordered these at the late dates of construction of these engines (ca. 1900-1920).

As far as I know the Disney locomotives were given their crosshead pumps during their rebuilds in the early 70s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 pm 

I'll have to check but I think, after looking at some photos, that the Boston & Providence "Daniel Nason" of 1862 has one also. As this loco is inside connected it is underneath the boiler near the drive rods and not obvious. It is at the Museum of Transportation near St. Louis and is in the same state it was "restored" to for the Chicago World's Fair of 1893, a condition it was never in during its service life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 pm 

With respect to the Leviathan image, it looks like there is a piece of pipe, painted black, under the running board, that sweeps down and goes into a polished brass tee. The tee is between the pump and the boiler check valve. Could this be the delivery pipe from an injector in the cab?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 pm 

Greetings:
The four former Ferrocarriles Unidos de Yucatan locomotives at Disney World (UdeY Nos. 251, 260, 274 & 275) were all equipped with crosshead pumps when I saw them in operation in Mexico in 1963 & 1964 and they were being used a good bit out on the road.
It is easy to see why UdeY stuck with them until the end: they always worked, regardless of the temperature of the water in the tender cistern and whether or not the injector was in good repair (and it gets pretty hot in Yucatan, as I recall, some of the water tanks had awnings).
For a lifting injector to function, the feed water must be cool enough to condense inside the injector when mixed with steam. If the feed water is too warm, even a brand new lifting injector won't work.
Crosshead pumps might leak at the piston packing, but they always put water in the boiler. Of course the water from the pump was cold (what ever temperature the water in the cistern was) where as water from a injector is warmed up a good bit as it mixes with the steam. So injectors are more efficient and not as hard on the boiler.
J.David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 pm 

I believe the St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Co (GN) William Crooks #1 at the Lake Superior RR Museum still has a crosshead pump.

-Hudson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:27 pm 

Santa Cruz #3 Jupiter at the Smithsonian. Looks original, but if I remember it is just there for show now. Here is an old photo of it with the pump clearly visible.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1294.jpeg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:02 pm 

The William Mason at the B&O Museum still has hers (or is it just one?), though they are disconnected. I'm sure others there have them as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 pm 

It would be interesting to study how the water circulates with the pump vs. an injector. I always wanted to know what kind of wear the Disney engines boilers received because at the time I worked there (2000-2004) the crews heavily favored running the pumps exclusively. Running the injector seemed like it was a task that was only used as a last resort.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 am 

While waiting in line to see the cab of Leviathan at the Michigan Railfest, I asked one of the crew if that was a crosshead pump, and he confirmed it. When I asked if it worked, the answer was 'not really'. So they may be complete, but not usable/practical.