It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Porter Fireless records
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:51 pm 

Does anyone know if there are any records on Porter Fireless Locomotives out there?? I'm looking for the weight of a specific locomotive. The locomotive in question is the one show, a 30" gauge fireless built by Porter (ser# 7441) in July 1943 and delivered to Atlas Steel in Welland, Ont. I'm looking for the weight of the unit. There is an ingot car as well, all very heavy steel, and no idea of the weight.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Ken Jones
Niagara Railway Museum Inc.
www.nfrm.ca

Attachments:
porter.jpg
porter.jpg [ 151.68 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]
ingot.jpg
ingot.jpg [ 169.65 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]

Post subject: Re: Porter Fireless records
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:01 pm 

I just checked my Porter record book and they list it at 20 tons for serial #7441. Hope that helps!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:10 pm 

Thanks Ron. I did end up finding out the same information on another site after I posted this, but it's very good to confirm what I found as well. She'll be an interesting move, that's for sure. Don't happen to have a picture of this unit in your book do you??

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:57 pm 

Just bear in mind that "20ton" means 40,000 pounds up to the next class weight, probly 22 ton, which means up to 43999. We found out the hard way, shipping two 25 ton locos, figuring on 50,000 max and they ended up coming on at 53,900, overweight for the load.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 pm 

Hmmm, ok, thanks Herb, appreciate that little tidbit of info. Hard to believe this thing even weighs in at that. Just trying to figure out what we can use to move it, looking at rolling it as opposed to lifting it.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:59 am 

30", huh? Odd width, I had no idea there was any track that gauge in that area...30", huh? Odd width, I had no idea there was any track that gauge in that area...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 am 

Ken - I am using Porter Steam Locomotives, a great hardcover book that was put out by the NMRA back in 2001. It appears that there were only 250 hardcover books published. It is a great book as I do a lot of builder's plate research. The book does not contain a photo of your locomotive, but there is one available. Contact the following: A. C. Kalmbach Memorial Library, 4121 Cromwell Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 am 

The library at Hagley Museum has a huge amount of Porter information. Off the top of my head I think they have corporate files but I might be mistaken.

http://www.hagley.org/library

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 am 

As you look at the locomotive weight figures provided, verify if that is with or without water. Usually it includes the water and a fireless holds a lot of water versus a conventional steam locomotive. A gallon is roughly 8 pounds and my little 6 tonner (Porter #7197) held about 200 gallons or 1600 pounds. I would guess, based on the weight of this engine versus mine that you have at least three to four times the amount of water or something over 5000-6000 pounds of water so subtract this from the 20 or so tons that you feel this engine weighs in working order.

I was able to buy the Porter drawings for my little Porter from the MUSEUM OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, Ottawa, ONt., Canada.

J.R. May
Wall, NJ