It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saving the BN 6644 / MRL 390 F45 locomotive
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:06 pm 

BN F45 fans,

After making some phone calls, I've set up a crowd-source fundraiser to save BN 6644 / MRL 390 F45 locomotive from scrap. The catch: $75,000 needs to be raised by Monday 5/26. The objective here is to raise funds to purchase the F45 locomotive and save from scrap. Dynamic Rail Preservation Inc. (DynaRail) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization, so donations to the cause are tax deductible. Due to the short notice of this opportunity, a destination for the locomotive is yet to be determined. The goal is to repaint the unit back into its former BN Cascade Green glory (which a portion of the funding goal will cover, including transportation costs).

If funding does not meet its 5/26 goal, funds raised will go towards the reconfiguration of DynaRail's SDP40F 644's nose and its Phase I "Pointless Arrow" paint scheme.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/preserve-burlington-northern-emd-f45-locomotive

http://dynarail.org/projects/bn6644.html

I hope this effort will give this second-to-last F45 built an opportunity at being preserved. If you have questions or ideas, contact us at http://dynarail.org/contactus.htm

-Chris F

Post subject: Re: Saving the BN 6644 / MRL 390 F45 locomotive
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:35 pm 

Obviously and uphill effort Chris, but I'll throw in. Even if the goal can't be attained, the plans for getting the SDP40F back into original configuration is just as worthy, so nothing wasted...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:28 am 

I've always liked the BN F45's. Those big locos looked like they really meant business. I remember them in helper service in the mid 80's, black and sooty from tunnel service.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 am 

I have always been amused by the premise that there are "preservationists" out there that will not donate to causes which do not honor their financial sacrifices on April 14th.

Count me in.

There are at least two F45s at Larry's Truck Electric.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:33 pm 

Chris,
I looked on your site about the other two locomotives, where are they now? Looks like 644 was leased (I assume it's being used in frieght service now), whatever happened to 231, they're both listed in Ogden now?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:01 pm 

p51 wrote:
Chris,
I looked on your site about the other two locomotives, where are they now? Looks like 644 was leased (I assume it's being used in frieght service now), whatever happened to 231, they're both listed in Ogden now?

The F40PH was parked on Track 2 at Ogden Union Station when I was there a couple of weeks ago to the the 4014. I had limited time, so didn't walk down the platform to see it or see if I could find the SDP40F on the property.

This is a "can't loose" proposition. If the goal isn't met, you are still donating to a worthy cause.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:16 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
The F40PH was parked on Track 2 at Ogden Union Station when I was there a couple of weeks ago to the the 4014. I had limited time, so didn't walk down the platform to see it or see if I could find the SDP40F on the property.
Okay, but what're they doing there?
I'm not 100% sure you could call it preservation in the classic sense if you're looking for donations to obtain locomotives, if you're just turning them around and leasing them for freight service once they're running well...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 pm 

From the sound of it, there are very few remaining F45's. A 2012 RYPN thread: Surviving F45's .

As of tonight, 33 donors have contributed a total of nearly $3000 towards "BN 6644". Four days remaining. Anything can happen.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pres ... locomotive

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:02 pm 

p51 wrote:
wilkinsd wrote:
Okay, but what're they doing there?
I'm not 100% sure you could call it preservation in the classic sense if you're looking for donations to obtain locomotives, if you're just turning them around and leasing them for freight service once they're running well...

Chris could answer that better, but leased engines bring income... Income that could be used to maintain the locomotives and try to fund future acquisitions.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:21 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
Chris could answer that better, but leased engines bring income... Income that could be used to maintain the locomotives and try to fund future acquisitions.
Yeah, but isn't that just a leasing service, called a non-profit, then?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:33 pm 

p51 wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:
Yeah, but isn't that just a leasing service, called a non-profit, then?

I guess TVRM wasn't a real non profit then all those years they leased 4501 to Southern....

I think the units in Ogden are on display. If you read their website, they'd like to find a suitable display location for the 6644. I know they've leased the units in the past, but I don't see how that is a barrier to it being a legitimate non profit.

Mr. Mitchell could clairfy, but I think several disesel preservation societies in the UK have leased locomotives to for-profit entities to help pay the bills.

If your objection is that a non-profit shouldn't be doing anything that mirrors a for-profit business, then you should object to museums that charge an admission fee or sell tickets to ride the excursion train.

Let's take one of your objections and change it a bit:

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure you could call it preservation in the classic sense if you're looking for donations to obtain locomotives, if you're just turning them around and selling tickets for people to ride behind them once they're running well...

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:42 pm 

Using equipment for fan trips and leasing it just for freight service isn't the same thing at all, and you all know this to be true.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:55 pm 

I think you miss the point that being in freight service actually helped preserve the locomotive because it was kept operable and moving around, which is key to keeping the vandals from hacking it apart.

What is the real difference between leasing a locomotive to run fan trips, with money being put in the bank so that when it needs overhauled, it can be afforded, and the operator maintaining it on the road; with leasing a locomotive to haul freight with money being put in the bank for restoration, and the operator maintaining it while in service?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 pm 

p51 wrote:
Using equipment for fan trips and leasing it just for freight service isn't the same thing at all, and you all know this to be true.

Because one is a method to generate money for the non-profit to further enhance their preservation mission and the other is a method to generate mnoney for the non-profit to furhter enhance their preservation mission?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:13 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
p51 wrote:

Because one is a method to generate money for the non-profit to further enhance their preservation mission and the other is a method to generate mnoney for the non-profit to furhter enhance their preservation mission?

NO, because one is a commercial venture for non-public use, using the equipment for a non-public method where the public likely can't see, ride, or experience the equipment in any way and appears to be a long-term or permanent situation from what I can see. And if so, then it's a freight leasing operation, done with donations. I have no clue why anyone couldn't obviously see the point here.
If the lease thing is a temporary situation only, then so be it. But that's not what I get from the site, nor any info from the past on what's been going on with these locomotives.