It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would Mr. Atwood think?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:45 pm 

I can see that the drive to Sodor, I mean South Carver, will be a ritual every time my grandchildren visit with their offspring.

GME
(Do not spill that cranberry frappe in my car!)
http://my.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20140615/ed8b84e8-291a-45a5-970e-e4242c1fabfc

Last edited by Trainlawyer on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What would Mr. Atwood think?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:02 pm 

Look, I don't think it would matter what Atwood would think at this point... The park is a for-profit enterprise, and Thomas brings kids and parents in the door. More money means the park continues to exist so others can continue to enjoy it. Would Atwood recognize his property? Nope, but this whole thing meets one very basic criteria in today's economic environment; innovate or die.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:29 pm 

20 minute ride behind a full-sized Thomas...operable steamer, or another shell?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:35 pm 

Dylan,
That was posed as question, not a criticism. I suspect that, had Mr Atwood survived to a ripe old 125 years he would approve as would Mr. Blount. My great granddaughter Julie represents the fifth generation of my family to visit Edaville. My first visit was with my parents in 1946 or 7 after my father returned from the Pacific. My children and grandchildren have all been there and I have every intention of being there next summer with as many members of my family as I can coerce. The more I think about it the Maine narrow gage, the cranberry bog railway and the Sodor Railways really have quite a bit in common...

GME

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:42 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:

From the photo provided with the article it certainly appears to be just another shell.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:29 pm 

The park has not been built yet. The picture in the article shows a Day Out event with what is really nothing more than a goods wagon with delusions of locomotion. I believe it travels to various venues where a narrow gage unit is needed. In an All Thomas All The Time world it would make sense to have more than one, along with a couple of his cohorts. If you look at the Rev. Mr Awdry's drawings there are some interesting design features such as an absence of outside cylinders and inside frame that looks more like a large box with no apparent place for said cylinders. It looks as though it might have been inspired by a clockwork model. This leaves a lot of room for figuring out how to add propulsion. There are plenty of narrow gage industrial locomotives both steam and internal combustion available out there which can take the role. Lets see what they do. If I was doing it I might go for a six wheel frame with a traction motor on one axle and the inside packed with batteries (and perhaps a large key sticking out of the dome).

GME

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:37 pm 

Frank J. DeStefano wrote:
bigjim4life wrote:

From the photo provided with the article it certainly appears to be just another shell.

I think that's one of the ones Strasburg built way back... Kelly Anderson would know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:05 am 

There are a couple of "official" Thomases..all are unpowered shells with a smoke unit.
power is provided by a locomotive on the other end of the train.

Sounds like a good idea for Edaville!
It would probably come down to a choice between this Thomas theme park,
or death of the operation..

Scot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:16 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
More:

https://www.facebook.com/EdavilleUSA/po ... 4232964837

(I don't think you have to be a member of FB to see this.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am 

Two key sentences from the article:
Quote:
Groundbreaking on the first Thomas Land in the U.S. is scheduled for next month, and the park is expected to open for business in summer 2015.

and
Quote:
Adding Thomas Land will turn Edaville from a regional attraction to a national attraction, [Edaville owner Jon Delli Priscoli] said. He expects attendance, currently at about 250,000 people a year, to quadruple.

I wonder how much this park will reduce attendance at "Day Out With Thomas" events? (My guess is that many parents would chose to travel to a full amusement park instead of a weekend event at a tourist railroad.)

Per this 2014 Schedule And Dates list posted at American-rails.com, Thomas comes to both the Valley and North Conway Scenic railroads.....North Conway is 180 miles from Edaville, while Essex is only 120 miles from Edaville.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 am 

Chris Webster wrote:
I wonder how much this park will reduce attendance at "Day Out With Thomas" events? (My guess is that many parents would chose to travel to a full amusement park instead of a weekend event at a tourist railroad.)

Per this 2014 Schedule And Dates list posted at American-rails.com, Thomas comes to both the Valley and North Conway Scenic railroads.....North Conway is 180 miles from Edaville, while Essex is only 120 miles from Edaville.

I personally believe that the upcoming Thomas Land will have a negligible effect on Day Out events. All the tourist lines that have such an event will probably continue to hold them and will probably draw the same crowd as before.

As for the more local tourist lines like the Conway Scenic and the Valley Railroad, the new Thomas Land may put a slight dent in their own Day Out attendance. But I still think there will always be parents who will opt for the one day option as opposed to an entire weekend of non-stop Thomas action (just imagine how wound up kids can get when they see a full size Thomas. Now times that four times over!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:43 pm 

Frank J. DeStefano wrote:

I personally believe that the upcoming Thomas Land will have a negligible effect on Day Out events. All the tourist lines that have such an event will probably continue to hold them and will probably draw the same crowd as before.

As for the more local tourist lines like the Conway Scenic and the Valley Railroad, the new Thomas Land may put a slight dent in their own Day Out attendance. But I still think there will always be parents who will opt for the one day option as opposed to an entire weekend of non-stop Thomas action (just imagine how wound up kids can get when they see a full size Thomas. Now times that four times over!)

Agreed. One thing to be considered is that many families simply no longer have the time or money to take a major road trip. While a permanent theme park may have an immediate impact on regional DOWT operators, it will not have a national effect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:01 am 

daylight4449 wrote:
I think that's one of the ones Strasburg built way back... Kelly Anderson would know.

scottychaos wrote:
There are a couple of "official" Thomases..all are unpowered shells with a smoke unit.
power is provided by a locomotive on the other end of the train.
Scot

There are currently seven Thomas’ in the USA and Canada, one 2’ gauge (unpowered), one 3’ gauge (unpowered), four standard gauge (unpowered), and one standard gauge steam powered (rebuilt from a 1915 Porter saddle tank engine).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:15 am 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
….one standard gauge steam powered (rebuilt from a 1915 Porter saddle tank engine).

I assume this refers to Strasburg's own Thomas locomotive. Or is there a second fully operational tank engine in the US that has been cosmetically altered to resemble Thomas?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:42 am 

How much business does the 2' version get?

Steve