It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AWP 290
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:58 pm 

Andrew Durden wrote:
...After Bill Magee, formerly with the Southern Steam Program and TVRM, was brought on board, the engine was taken to Irondale and had box and shoe and wedge work, along with repairs to the brasses which had been running hot almost continuously for two years. After this work, and subsequent minor adjustments, the engine was reportedly comfortable running 60-70 mph for extended stretches by the time she ran to Montgomery via CSX in August of '92...

Here's link to a pic off of the Fire Up 611 Facebook page of 290 at Norris

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

As to running hot don't forget her trailing truck after the initial rebuild ran hot too. Her inaugural trip to Macon was fouled by the trailing truck running hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 pm 

I believe the trailing truck also ran hot on the trip it ran out of Jacksonville. 1991 or 92?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:16 pm 

I never noticed that the 290 has NY cross compound pumps. Don't see them much in later days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:26 am 

Frisco1522 wrote:
I never noticed that the 290 has NY cross compound pumps. Don't see them much in later days.

The Georgia RR/West Point Route was in love with them. The Central of Georgia had quite a few as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:32 am 

JohnHillier wrote:
I believe the trailing truck also ran hot on the trip it ran out of Jacksonville. 1991 or 92?

It went to Jacksonville twice. In 1990, they went down on CSX for the United Way kickoff. She pulled freight down and back and was on display, no actual trips. They really hauled the mail down on the "racetrack" in southwest Georgia, reportedly running upwards of 70 mph, but had to stop a few times for bearing issues also. The stoker also failed, close to home, IIRC. She also ran some NS trips out of Jacksonville in '91, not sure if the issues were completely gone by then or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:19 am 

Andrew Durden wrote:
Frisco1522 wrote:

The Georgia RR/West Point Route was in love with them. The Central of Georgia had quite a few as well.

I think the IC used them exclusively. I think the GN used them on smaller stuff, but nowadays I can't think of seeing them on a restored engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:10 pm 

As Mr. Bensman will bear out: if a wire is used, it must be stretched from the center of the draw bar pin at the back and at the lead truck pivot pin in the front. Everything is squared from that wire i.e. Main pedestal faces (the side toward the front of the engine), then the Main Box Centers/Axle Centers are located; the other Drive Box Centers/Axle Centers are taken from the "Main" using the length of the centers of the "Brasses" on the connecting rods. Once the "Centers" are established, the dimension of each Driving Box can be measured and new "Shoes" made; shops typically kept rough machined ones on stock and did final machining after the measurements were known.

From the account of the 290, an "Optical Tooling Transit" was used not a surveying Transit; these instruments are deadly accurate in the correct hands!

1361 was done partially with a wire then checked with a surveying transit using the front face of the cylinders as a base line..........

Thanks,

Paul J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:33 am 

Southern wanted to "convert" 290 to a Ps4 replica, which I thought would have been neat. The owners said "no". Too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:45 pm 

JohnHillier wrote:
I just recently heard 290 had run these trips, I missed a chance on seeing her in steam.
A good friend of mine went to Fargo for the runby on one of those trips, expecting 611 and heard 290 over a scanner with no clue what was coming. Lucky guy, I never saw her in stem once.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:22 am 

nedsn3 wrote:
Southern wanted to "convert" 290 to a Ps4 replica, which I thought would have been neat. The owners said "no". Too bad.

The A&WP sued to prevent "their engine" from doing PR work for the Southern. The engine was, at the time, owned by the City of Atlanta. As part of the settlement, it was transferred to the Atlanta, NRHS.

There are several of us who would argue that it was a win for actual preservation that the engine was not allowed to be turned into a less-than-exact replica of something else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm 

nedsn3 wrote:

This, and Canadian National 5288 at TVRM was also rumored as being an intended "PS-4 clone" for the SRR/NS program, but neither came to pass. 5288 has a very short tender, so I assume they'd have used something longer if that had worked out. Such a shame, I would have loved to seen either in green and gold. Afterwards, they'd have bene painted back to the right colors and markings, I'm sure...