It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AC trains at IRM. (Visitor comfort)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:14 am 

AND Rock Island 4-6-2 #938 is in the steam shop right now for cosmetic work! Not sure if the 938 ever worked in Chicago commuter service, but it IS possible! The 2500's certainly were steam hauled and possibly the 2700's since they were purchased in 1949 as I recall. Not sure when the Rock stopped running steam in commuter service, but my guess is that they were still running it when 2702 was in service on the railroad. So, another reason why it makes sense for the 2702 to end up at Union.

Les

Attachments:
Father's Day June 2014 014.JPG
Father's Day June 2014 014.JPG [ 349.94 KiB | Viewed 2882 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 am 

Quote:
I definitely think someone should start a KickStarter campaign for the car on behalf of IRM. If the purchase price can be raised, I bet the museum will handle the rest (transportation, loading, etc).

What I have learned in working with museums, both big and small, is that the decision to acquire something has to come from the museum's management. Getting ahead of that process usually doesn't end well.

IRM does have a defined process for evaluating and deciding upon potential acquisitions. If they express serious interest in pursuing this car I would gladly offer assistance in supporting grant request, preparing a statement of significance, and project planning. (I can be contacted via a private message on this site)

I believe a fundraising effort for this car would be successful as many fans and former employees of the Rock Island are reaching an age where air conditioning is an important consideration. The 2702 offers the opportunity to enjoy a trip behind a steam locomotive or a vintage diesel in 1940s style. As a fundraising project, I think it would have wide appeal that could be reached with a variety of methods that might combine Kickstarter and more traditional methods.

As to Rock Island locomotive 938, it was frequently used in commuter service. Among other features, it has an extra large dynamo that provided 32VDC electric lighting to passenger cars.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:20 am 

I started this thread to possibly evoke some discussion on the visitor experience at train museums. This did start, but now it seems like it has been hijacked and devolved into a Rock Island equipment preservation forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:17 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
Likewise, one with a operating Waukesha Ice Engine.

The more common electromechanical system would probably not work well given the low speeds and short trips unless the power is supplemented. But steam or Ice Engine is probably not too far fetched, the latter from what has been gleaned from the similar Enginator generator system on the MILW dyno car.

Steve

Actually, a functioning Ice Engine at IRM is probably closer than you think; X-5000 has an Ice Engine. It is on the to-do list, but way, way down. More manpower and people specifically familiar with A/C systems would move it up though.

We can get the Engine side of the Ice Engine running, we have a pile of spare parts and experience from the Enginator. However, the compressor and plumbing all need rebuilt or repaired; indeed, oral history suggests the need to rebuild the entire cooling pipe system. Stories passed to the restoration team indicate that the system was never entirely "tight" and frequently needed to be re-charged when the car was on the road. Given the cost of coolant, we will not be charging the system until we are reasonable certain the coolant will not leak out.

Restoration website